I was talking to my local small town dealer (only got 3 C8s last year) and he said he has called the top 5 guys on his C8 list and forewarned them about a $12K price increase and offered to let them out of the deal if the didnt want the car any longer. All 5 said they were still in and wanted their cars. Maybe the price increase isnt as big of deal as we think?
I'm sure a lot of guys will step back and re-evaluate, but at the end of the day, there will not be a mass exodus IMO.
I keep hearing about a $12,000.00 increase, but what dollar amount would be acceptable?
How much of the increase is normal inflation?
How much is due to the ongoing supply chain issues of Covid?
How much is for the extra few safety features in the '24?
How much is due to the value of our dollar as compared to the US?
Is a '24 not supposed to be intrinsically worth more than a '23? If 2 identical cars were lined up at the same price, I'm pretty sure the audience would choose the newer model.
The list goes on, and on, and that's before we even touch upon the whole subsidizing Canadian cars (wait, what?), or responsibility to one's shareholders.

If I had to decide on a 2024 with the increase, I would have had to decline and look for something else. The car would simply be too expensive for me to justify. Everyone has a different number I'm sure. I suppose it's like the housing market...I would not be able to afford to buy my own house if I had to buy it today.

I'm sure a lot of guys will step back and re-evaluate, but at the end of the day, there will not be a mass exodus IMO.
I keep hearing about a $12,000.00 increase, but what dollar amount would be acceptable?
Is a '24 not supposed to be intrinsically worth more than a '23? If 2 identical cars were lined up at the same price, I'm pretty sure the audience would choose the newer model.
The list goes on, and on, and that's before we even touch upon the whole subsidizing Canadian cars (wait, what?), or responsibility to one's shareholders.

Historically (in all the past C8 years) the price increases have been modest ($1,000 to $2,000 each year). And that's through the COVID years with their supply chain problems/delays (so nothing new there). The changes for the 2024 model are minimal and not IMO costly at all. If they were, the US price increase would have reflected that, but they had their usual modest price increases. And yes, new vehicles are usually viewed as more attractive, for the lesser depreciation rate if nothing else, but that's not resulted in more than modest price increases each year (again, that's nothing new). The Canadian/US exchange rate has been lousy for years for us in Canada, so that's nothing new either, and it can change depending on a ton of variables. And if we focus on the US/Canada exchange rationale, should we expect ALL Canadian prices to increase to match the US exchange rate...which is illogical and assumes we should be treated like the US (ie. we're the identical market to the US). So as Canadians should we face a 35% price increase on everything across the board for our food, clothing, housing, etc.? GM makes a profit on all sales, even the past Canadian sales. It's not in business to lose money so set their past Canadian pricing accordingly. Similarly, GM set its pricing differently for Australia, Japan and Europe, based upon those different markets. The point being, this isn't "one market" (ie. the same vehicle prices don't apply to all of planet earth) and like other countries or geographic locations, Canada is a different market place and until 2024, saw a different pricing structure.

All that said, this is NOT a normal or expected 2024 price increase for the Canadian market. Trying to paint it otherwise is just wrong. Canada has been targeted and IMO we've been singled out and not treated fairly. A choice was made to lump in a single huge increase, all in one year and only for Canada. And it's a $12,000 increase for the 2024 Stingray; the Z06 and E-Ray CANADIAN (only) price increases were a lot more, so for people like me waiting years for a Z06, it's even more painful, compounded by the luxury tax we now all face in Canada. I empathize with all wanna-be Canadian C8 Stingray and E-Ray buyers, as well.

Whether you choose to stay in or cancel your deal, depends upon your personal finances and priorities. Those that aren't wealthy, were just able to afford a new C8 using past pricing models, and can't justify the extra funding, will cancel or at best, sacrifice their dreams of a "perfect vehicle with all the bells and whistles" and settle for less options/accessories and order a lesser/compromised vehicle. GM has made a choice to cut off its Canadian market, firstly by cutting Canadian allocations by 50% or more and giving those same allocations to overseas markets (not cutting back on the US allocations), then secondly and more recently by making the C8 line less affordable in Canada. Sad, disappointing, frustrating and unexpected days for Canadian C8 fans looking to buy a C8. :( :( :(

PS to Murray: I did notice one accessory increase: the rims with red stripes increased $400 in 2024, compared to 2023. I'm not sure if there are other increased option/accessory prices for Canada.

Yep mass exodus depending on your definition. I have pulled myself off the three lists I was on and I could manage the increase. But I’m not going to manage the increase, going to walk away from it. The interesting twist will be whether there is a drop in other GM sales. We are all visual buyers. Go to a Chevy dealer to get your Vette looked at and end up buying a GMC truck. Don't go to a Chevy dealer cause you passed on the ‘24 and you don’t buy the truck.

Will suck to be a Chevy sales guy in the upcoming days.

GM can drop the Canadian Corvette entirely and not even flinch, IMO.
Probably you're right. But with the pricing move, combined with the removal of gm points from my visa (and expiration of them to the point where I am not even sure I can get an allocation before they expire over 14,000 dollars worth), it leaves a bad taste for ever wanting another gm put of nothing but spite.

I'll probabaly just buy a chevy trax with the points...but even that has been riddled with delay after delay.

Can't find a Camaro, c8, or even a trax to buy.

Rising interest rates. Increasing consumption taxes. Increasing prices. Long wait times for delivery. Consumer demand faltering. Fuel prices increasing. Economic uncertainty.

Will suck to be a car sales guy in the upcoming days.

Reactions: AndrewJ
Rising interest rates. Increasing consumption taxes. Increasing prices. Long wait times for delivery. Consumer demand faltering. Fuel prices increasing. Economic uncertainty.

Will suck to be a car sales guy in the upcoming days.
It's a really good point. I am fortunate that I can afford this type of vehicle. But even I this morning woke up and thought to myself...maybe it's way more of a want...and maybe I can delay some of the gratification. Maybe keep a deposit on an eray only and decide years from now where we are at in the world.... and maybe what other brands come out with.

Did I just talk myself into a trax? Lol

It's a really good point. I am fortunate that I can afford this type of vehicle. But even I this morning woke up and thought to myself...maybe it's way more of a want...and maybe I can delay some of the gratification. Maybe keep a deposit on an eray only and decide years from now where we are at in the world.... and maybe what other brands come out with.

Did I just talk myself into a trax? Lol
Funny enough, but I had a very similar discussion rattling around in my head (except for the Trax).
I presently have a '23, albeit a fairly bare bones model, which was previously 'enjoyed' by someone else.
I too am on several lists for an E-Ray, as well as a Z06.
I am now in the final throws of my order for a '24 Stingray.
My allocation, like many, came far earlier than I anticipated.
I did seriously consider holding off on completing the order, waiting instead for the 'dream machine'.
Being somewhat 'seasoned' in age, and having the good fortune of being financially sound, I did the only responsible thing - I asked my Wife.
Barring a lengthy strike, my '24 should be here before Christmas.
That said, I reiterate my previous comments that these 'toys', as fabulous as they are, should not be purchased if it causes a financial hardship.
This 'bubble' of vast discretionary income that we have experienced over the last number of years cannot sustain itself.
There are strong tell-tale signs of an impending economic slow-down (I see it first-hand in construction).
The last thing anyone needs is a Corvette in the driveway while being short on mortgage monies.

Reactions: KTJF
Being somewhat 'seasoned' in age, and having the good fortune of being financially sound, I did the only responsible thing - I asked my Wife.

This 'bubble' of vast discretionary income that we have experienced over the last number of years cannot sustain itself.
Sounds ALOT like my situation. A bubble of income that could disappear as fast as it came. But financially ok even if it did. My wife backs me no matter what I decide. She knows this is a toy, she'd be happy with anything that goes point a to point b. But at the same time, one of the only things I would pride myself with owning since I'm not really one to spend money on anything would be a nice car. A trophy so to speak.

Then there is the whole "always wanting more". I'm on a stingray and eray list. Does that mean I'll even be content with the stingray knowing something is still in reach.

I'm not complaining though. Like I said, fortunate to be in my position. But still... trying to do the "responsible" thing. I personally don't like the whole "you can't take your money to the grave idea". I have family to. And I don't plan on bringing them with me either lol.

Reactions: 12cents
Sounds ALOT like my situation. A bubble of income that could disappear as fast as it came. But financially ok even if it did. My wife backs me no matter what I decide. She knows this is a toy, she'd be happy with anything that goes point a to point b. But at the same time, one of the only things I would pride myself with owning since I'm not really one to spend money on anything would be a nice car. A trophy so to speak.

Then there is the whole "always wanting more". I'm on a stingray and eray list. Does that mean I'll even be content with the stingray knowing something is still in reach.

I'm not complaining though. Like I said, fortunate to be in my position. But still... trying to do the "responsible" thing. I personally don't like the whole "you can't take your money to the grave idea". I have family to. And I don't plan on bringing them with me either lol.
I still imagine the E-Ray to be a minimum 2 year wait, but then I thought wrong on my 'build', so it's really a crap shoot.
When I asked the Mrs. what happens if 2 months from now the allocation does come in for the E-Ray, her response was that I'd have to put another lift in the garage.
God, I love that woman.

Reactions: KTJF
I still imagine the E-Ray to be a minimum 2 year wait, but then I thought wrong on my 'build', so it's really a crap shoot.
When I asked the Mrs. what happens if 2 months from now the allocation does come in for the E-Ray, her response was that I'd have to put another lift in the garage.
God, I love that woman.
I showed the Mrs this reply, and she laughs. I asked if I got the same treatment, and she confirmed. Now to go lift shopping....

Reactions: Mr.Corvette
Funny enough, but I had a very similar discussion rattling around in my head (except for the Trax).
I presently have a '23, albeit a fairly bare bones model, which was previously 'enjoyed' by someone else.
I too am on several lists for an E-Ray, as well as a Z06.
I am now in the final throws of my order for a '24 Stingray.
My allocation, like many, came far earlier than I anticipated.
I did seriously consider holding off on completing the order, waiting instead for the 'dream machine'.
Barring a lengthy strike, my '24 should be here before Christmas.
That said, I reiterate my previous comments that these 'toys', as fabulous as they are, should not be purchased if it causes a financial hardship.
There are strong tell-tale signs of an impending economic slow-down (I see it first-hand in construction).
The last thing anyone needs is a Corvette in the driveway while being short on mortgage monies.
which of the 3 dealers is offering you a 2024 stingray allocation?

My 2023 spec'd car was $105,939. When my 2024 allocation came in, I budgeted for a $2,500 increase (it was $1,800 in the USA)
My 2024 spec'd car is now $117,459.
Chevrolet Canada Customer Service will not do anything about this bloated increase.
Money I don't have to spend on this car unfortunately.

It's so messed up that you can submit your order, have it accepted by the plant... and then a few days later (not even officially because they're so slow to update their website) be hit by a near 20-30k increase on a Stingray.

They knew about it, and still took orders without being transparent about it.
Dealers did not know about it until the day it was posted here. Once GM Canada released prices to dealers is the day that they became official not when they will appear on a website.

Reactions: rs2.bull
My 2023 spec'd car was $105,939. When my 2024 allocation came in, I budgeted for a $2,500 increase (it was $1,800 in the USA)
My 2024 spec'd car is now $117,459.
Chevrolet Canada Customer Service will not do anything about this bloated increase.
Money I don't have to spend on this car unfortunately.
sorry to hear that, but at least your dealer is returning your deposit. Now you can look for a new 2023 that someone decides to bail on or a used C8

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.