BANNED
May 3, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 LeMans blue Z06
Province
AB
Not sure how many of you are hockey fans but if so,who do you like? And how do you think they'll do? Myself,I'm a Philadelphia fan first and foremost but also like the cross town rivals ,the Penguins.

If anything,I think strongly now that the final come spring could be Pittsburgh and Edmonton. Sid Crosby going for a 3-peat. Connor going for his first. Edmonton will be dependent on goaltending. And injuries.

Tampa Bay could be strong. The Leafs?? Secretly,we all hope they do good. The scoring title could come down to Crosby,Matthews and McDavid. I think a healthy Dallas Stars team could be a force. Nashville? They'll fall back down I think. Chicago early season will be tough,they'll get tired towards seasons end. The Flames? Hey!! We have Jaromir Jagr!! He can still play! He can still skate !! And I get to see him twice now !! Other than that,I see us being the leagues whipping boys.

It's a good time of year. Baseball playoffs !! Hockey getting underway. KC Chiefs 4-0. Stampeders looking pretty good too.

Calgary and Edmonton on Sportnets tonight 8 mountain time. Should be a good tilt.

Reactions: ddgermann
I'm a die-hard Bruins fan, and have been since I started watching Hockey in the early 70's. I think we have a ton of young up and coming talent, but we won't see a lot of it at the NHL level for a couple of years yet, but some of our rookies from last year, Mcavoy, Carlo, Zarnik, just to name of few, look really good in preseason action! I'm pretty excited for this year, and I have a funny feeling Rask is going to have a fantastic year(possibly Vesna worthy, Lol). Anyway, I'll be watching all the games closely on my center ice package..

My tire sales rep, for both my business and personal vehicles, used to play for the Bruins, back when Hockey was played by the toughest of men, for not so much money, unlike today! You didn't see dives, or hits from behind into the boards, but it was quite a different game at that time. Anyway, here is his card that I have at work.
Skip.jpg

That's pretty kewl Dub... He also played for the Oilers I think before they joined the NHL.....

I was a Bruin fan for a few years on the East coast but became an Oiler fan when I moved to Alberta in 1979 as they merged with the NHL, and I've never looked back. At the end of the day though, I'm a fan of Canada even if the players may be any assortment of nationalities. So Oilers all the way and if they stumble, whichever Canadian teams are left.

giphy.gif

I fear that this year will be a frustrating one for my Habs. I attended most of the Icecaps home games last season and was not impressed with the talent on the farm team. No player that was real exciting, just a few with journeyman potential. Hopefully the trades and signing made this past summer will bear fruit. Hated to see Radulov go; he was intense and played to win. Don't mind losing Markov but replacing his minutes will be difficult.
I have to say though I am really looking forward to the battle of Alberta heating up this year. That used to be some of the best hockey in its heyday.

Oiler fan since the WHA days. Been to many games during the hayday years including Stanley cup final games. I was lucky enough to be in row 12 the night Grezky took the all time points record from the late Mr Howe... who was also there that night.
The game stopped and the standing ovation and cheers went on and on. Wayne was in a kings uniform that night skating around waving happily and humbly... but the fans and the Oiler team we all his.
I've never seen anything like it before or since. One of the best moments of my life was being part of that.

This year...
I think Mike might be selling the flames a bit short. If Smith can get off to a good start that is a pretty good team. As an Oiler fan I've been bored with the BOA for years till last year. I think this year the battle will be back. Plus it just can't hurt having Jäger on your team.
Dallas will be real good or real bad is my feeling and the California teams it seems are going over the peak and likely will begin the decline this year. LA is already well on the way.
Let's hope the leafs make some noise too. Not sure where the Habs are heading. Puzzling moves by this team for me anyway.
I'm saying it.... Oilers / Leafs final.
I know... I know. Canada first right. :canada:

I'll be watching the game tonight, and cheering for the Oil, but I'm curious to see how Jagr does with the Flames!
I don't think he's playing until the weekend,according to the radio. The Flames haven't even announced his signing yet which seems a little odd. Unless they did earlier today (I slept most of the day).
This year...
I think Mike might be selling the flames a bit short. If Smith can get off to a good start that is a pretty good team. As an Oiler fan I've been bored with the BOA for years till last year. I think this year the battle will be back. Plus it just can't hurt having Jäger on your team. :canada:

Seems like Calgary has been like Philly the last few years. A goaltenders dead end. Brian Elliot didn't do a whole lot here. Don't see him carrying a mediocre Flyers team either. I think Mike Smith will make a difference but he didn't look too good against the Jets the other night. But,when he's on !! Flames hockey should be somewhat better this year. I'm hoping anyway. I've got tickets to a Minnesota game Oct 21 and the Flyers game Dec 4. Probably going to get a couple more games in the New Year as well.

Well another year begins ... enjoyed the hell out of myself playing many years of hockey.
I can't play hockey anymore, because of playing hockey. One thing is for sure, nobody cares.
What I enjoy today is Great Entertaining Hockey !
I love this Sport and most of all the particular moments that every game has the potential for. I watch for it.
Now what I don't want is "a bad loser" and worst than that "a bad winner" because ...
Champions are those who can "win" with their losing attitude before their attitude when winning.
As far as this year goes, all I really want is a better hope for a New Sports Centre to be built in Calgary
so that I don't have the result of having to travel 200 miles or more to see NHL Hockey - because I will.

besides ... I've gained quite a few non-hockey friends up there ... as well as across this Great Country ...
so there's my "I love Corvettes" ! (to keep this message appropriate for this website)

We already know that it doesn't take Winners on the Ice for the Arena ... it takes Winners off the Ice !
For anyone reading this in Calgary and those who can encourage someone they know in Calgary ...
Please do not pass on your opportunity to Vote for "Calgary Building Members" on Council & a "Team Member" at the lead.
A vote for our current municipal "leader" toward NHL is equivalent him next removing "High Octane Fuel" from our pumps !
This means my focus this year will not begin with "who will win the cup"
but rather with "who will win to keep NHL in their town." ....

Cheers Everyone :thumbs:
:Party:... ON

Last edited:
I don't think he's playing until the weekend,according to the radio. The Flames haven't even announced his signing yet which seems a little odd. Unless they did earlier today (I slept most of the day).

Seems like Calgary has been like Philly the last few years. A goaltenders dead end. Brian Elliot didn't do a whole lot here. Don't see him carrying a mediocre Flyers team either. I think Mike Smith will make a difference but he didn't look too good against the Jets the other night. But,when he's on !! Flames hockey should be somewhat better this year. I'm hoping anyway. I've got tickets to a Minnesota game Oct 21 and the Flyers game Dec 4. Probably going to get a couple more games in the New Year as well.

I got a notification from NHL network (Rogers) that it's officially done deal and Jäger is signed Mike.

It'll be interesting if they put Monaghan and Johnny Hockey on a line with him. Should be interesting to see in a few weeks. As well,the "Traveling Jagrs" should be in attendance. Not sure if Jenny will be ready for those guys !!

It'll be interesting if they put Monaghan and Johnny Hockey on a line with him. Should be interesting to see in a few weeks. As well,the "Traveling Jagrs" should be in attendance. Not sure if Jenny will be ready for those guys !!

Haha ya right! I forgot about those guys...

You are also right about what Jäger could bring to a line of super skilled players. Frankly he is not a fit for the new oilers MO but I would have loved to get that skill and leadership in the lineup. That's thinking with the heart though. Pretty sure chirelli knows way better than me what the Oilers actually need to fit into his plan.
Well he better know! It has been brutal being a fan of this team for so many years till last year again. The abuse was not fun.
The future is looking bright for both Alberta teams now finally.
If you listen carefully you can actually hear Vancouver implode... :Biggrin:

:canada:

Haha ya right! I forgot about those guys...

You are also right about what Jäger could bring to a line of super skilled players. Frankly he is not a fit for the new oilers MO but I would have loved to get that skill and leadership in the lineup. That's thinking with the heart though. Pretty sure chirelli knows way better than me what the Oilers actually need to fit into his plan.
Well he better know! It has been brutal being a fan of this team for so many years till last year again. The abuse was not fun.
The future is looking bright for both Alberta teams now finally.
If you listen carefully you can actually hear Vancouver implode... :Biggrin:

:canada:
I think Vancouver will excel in stupid penaltys and lots of fights in their games.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.