VelocityYellowRules!

RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
I've been wanting to write this since Thursday but just didn't have the energy.

I had a PET scan on Wednesday in Edmonton. Compared to the one done in June the tumors have gotten larger thus they are stopping treatment with the immunotherapy drug PEMBRO.

They also wanted to stop with the lotion imiquimod but as I have no doubt it is working on some of the tumors I want to continue. For the moment we are going to.

Now I don't know why this has so devastated me but it has. I haven't had much confidence that the PEMBRO was ever working and was very surprised when they actually authorized the last 4 treatments to be honest with you. If it had been working then I wouldn't have expected to see any new tumors and over the past few months there have been a few new ones.

However things are not over yet.

I have applied for a clinical trial and hope to hear today if I will be a candidate. 4 treatments, no more, no less, every three weeks in Edmonton and I'll have to spend two days at a time there. Oddly this treatment is considered to be more effective for former PEMBRO patients, but we're still talking about 20 to at the outside 40% effective.

They will also treat one tumor on 50% of the patients but I do not know if I will be in that group or not.

The plus, and a big plus, if it does work, this is one of the few drugs that the FDA has permitted the use of the word "cure" rather than "remission" to be used.

I'll have to stop the imiquimod if I get into the trial which I am not excited about but the price to be paid for another long shot. I worry if the treatment doesn't work the tumors running rampant for three months.

As well, there may be another long shot trial in Toronto that I might be able to apply for after this one.

I'm worried but not as freaked out as I might have been. I went through my "God I don't want to die" when I had cancer 11 years ago, so mentally I'm not in as bad a position as I could be.

But there is some apprehension that this could be my swan song...……………….

I appreciate that I can vent here and for all your support, sorry but I need it a while longer yet!

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: CCO and Dantanman
Garry, interesting about the requirements for the clinical trial drug, that is I am reading this correctly, you needed to be on one of the other drugs to qualify. I was on a few trials for the Pulmonary Fibrosis and at some point I just have a feeling that something clicked and either slowed or stopped progression of the disease. In 2004 when first diagnosed they told me two to five years maximum and here we are fourteen years later and I am still here. Yes it has impacted me but their prognosis was a little off.

You know we will keep you in our thoughts and hopes. Tough decisions to be made but you have shown incredible strength with this. Vent any time you want, if it helps the Corvette forum family is here for support.

Hello Garry,
Whenever you need to "vent" I am here with you on CCF …
knowing WE ALL are here with you Garry.
Recognizing that this has to be very tough endurance and a constant test of your physical and emotional stamina, your messages not only has us sharing concern but truly allows us to also share with your aspirations.
You can PM anytime. You can call anytime (even for just for an ear to listen).
You are never alone here and friendships are perpetual.
Spence

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Feeling better, must have been the weather? Probably just talking about it...…….

Got a call from the clinical trial nurse before noon.

Nothing concrete, more questions, going over the study perimeters together. She did say that it could be as early as the 19th and if not the week after. Once they have all the data they will see if I am a candidate and then the computer selects if I go into the 2nd drug injection group or not.

If selected I will have to stop using the imiquimod a week before, not the day before that I had been told previously but not sure that makes that much of a difference. Anything for another chance at something.

Today is a day when I could use a Z06 drive, but it has been raining for the past 4 days and might even snow tomorrow!

No progress harvest wise yet either. If that goes ahead and the crop is good then I think I might have to commit to a Bolt - I can't imagine any better way to go for more cancer treatment this fall than in an electric car - well maybe in the Z06 but not this time of year...……..!

So the waiting continues - there was no timeline given for the decision. I'm going to be double cocky - I get selected and the second drug to boot - things have to change for me at some point!

Cheers,

Garry

We can look for some Corvette Badging to add to your Bolt, Garry.
Some may think it would be taboo … We can just refer to it as C9 prototyping ;)

That would be kind of cool actually Spence! Know someone with a 3D printer??!!

Although I have some experience with this situation, I am always struck by how unreal it seems. Yeah we talk about a clinical trail or any sort of treatment and its chances of success but failure for some might be a case of this treatment didn't work as good as we'd hoped. For me it could mean the end game of my life.

I'm also happy I went though the MAID thought process. I'll be ready and I've talked with my doctors about this as well so it won't be coming out of left field if it reaches that point. Quality of life is ultra important to me and I just can't see being hooked up to pain killers the final few weeks and unaware of my surroundings. I do not intend to suffer needlessly...……...

Your words of "Quality" are very clear and understood.

As for the Bolt being a GM product …
I’d consider the real thing .... like these ....
53106D75-F842-4E0B-B473-AEDEB7138BDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Spence are those in the mail??????? Haha!
I think I recognize one of them 😂
Oh these are in my "Parts for Consideration" Bin and used only to exemplify the potential for "Prototype C9 Bolt-Enhancement" … that would be very true too Mr. @ddgermann Sir :Shy:👍🏻 … the twin brother is still here too

… sorry the photo looks like a C7 PacMan Version that gobbles up Stingrays :WillyNilly:

Last edited:
Some news to finally share.

It "looks" like I'm in. An email but not specific sayin I'm in, but that they will call today as they are booking Sept 20/21st. I showed it to my gf and mom and they agree with my interpretation though!

Wow. On top of this will I be lucky enough to get into the group that gets the needle as well?

I have to admit that I am excited.

At the same time when I see my lead doctor next week I'm going to bring up the subject of amputation again. If the treatment doesn't work and if that is all they can offer me then I want the arm removed. It is painful on a daily basis (the worse I can remember yesterday), takes 2 plus hours a day to wrap and treat and I'm also not sure if they will continue my imiquimod prescription or not.

I don't know how bad the pain will be for the most part when the cancer attacks my internal organs but I want to try to have as much comfort as I can when in the end game. I think, at this point, I'd rather have no arm pain and no arm. I hate to ask but any amputation people out there who could shed some light?

Hopefully more news later today!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.