I recognize passion in most every discussion involving numbers.
Numbers never lie and are respective to the math of an Engineer.
Fortunately (for me) ...
"I find no single unit of measurement for the smile of the Owner, when driving their Corvette"

What a sage statement to make and I fully support the truth of it!

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: Jenski~Z06
I propose the COSEG scale...(Corvette Owner's S#!T Eating Grin). Like the opposite of the one they use in the hospital for you to rate your current degree of pain.
Oh I like that .... I just may have to make use of that in future references and conversations Irish..... COSEG.... yup.... definite like... :thumbs:

And it is good to be back too!

Started prep work at the farm, first day was all flat tires and dead batteries and these dual 1200 CCA suckers don't get boosted after five minutes - battery chargers overnight.

Still today went better - service call for the remaining flat tire, both tractors with air drills fired up, fans run, loading augers run and metering rolls turned so there will be no surprises here. Really, it ought to be just regular servicing - tire pressure, lubricating and so forth and we'll be ready to seed. We still have to tackle the broken sprayer boom but dad figures that will be a three person job with tow front end loaders so we'll have to wait until the weekend when either cousin Brad or my gf are free.

I am trying to break into spring work slowly as there is still no panic to go, dad doesn't think we'll be seeding until the end of next week. So I'm trying just 3 to 4 hours a day. The first day I got home, hit the sofa and that was it for the next hour! Wish I could have slept like that in Calgary!!!!!!!!

Arm-wise things are OK. Some times the swelling is just beyond belief and it hurts and I expect the arm to just burst if I ever bumped it. Other times not so bad. Still having problems getting my INR number to where we want it but we're doing that slowly. It had risen the past two days and I have blood work again this morning so we'll see which way it went today.

My gf wraps it for me every morning, the local hospital was super nice and gave me a butt-load of supplies including that highly superior product Adaptic - FMC doesn't even stock this stuff as it is considered to be the Corvette of products but luckily my local hospital does.

A possible sign of hope? You all know how I like to clutch at straws. A cluster of three tumors on my wrist, I was sadly scratching at one of them and the skin like just pealed off of the three of them. Ouch to get that degree of surface area exposed to air but oddly two of the three don't seem to be showing any signs of tumors underneath. The right most one is showing a small bump but I am unsure if that is a tumor regrowing or dying...........anyway the first sign something might be happening from that hell I underwent in Calgary. Like for everything in life we live in hope and this is perhaps exactly that!

Three days not since my last email to Davenport and still no reply as to what we might also consider for work while they have the car...............

Otherwise life is OK for me.

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: ddgermann
Love the farming stories Garry, if not for you us city slickers would think all food grows in plastic and cardboard boxes.:Biggrin:

Hope what you have noticed is indeed positive news. Get your rest when you can and take care of yourself.

All the best Garry.:thumbs:

A few of my customers just starting seeding here in central AB. sounds like lots will be going by the weekend.
Sometimes hope is the only thing left........I'm sure many of us have been there.

Love the farming stories Garry, if not for you us city slickers would think all food grows in plastic and cardboard boxes.:Biggrin:

Hahahaha. I read a story in a magazine where an animal rights activist was giving hunters an earful and couldn’t understand why they couldn’t just get their meat from the grocery store where no animals get hurt. :rofl:

Glad to hear the progress Garry! I look forward to hearing more farming stories as well.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Good afternoon everyone!

My most recent email from Steve at Davenport included:

"You bet I’m personally going to oversee this (build). Just bear with me"

How can one not be filled with confidence? He said that they expect to be working on the car on the 12th at which time decisions will be made regarding heads/intake/???? on top of the camshafts/tune.

I have my checkup date in Calgary for June 7th. Any luck the Gods will smile upon me and it would be done? Fly in to Calgary and drive my Davenport'ed car home????????????

I'm getting me a thick rug to go on bent knee to pray!

Cheers,

Garry

That would have been different!

What a strange experience I just had. So I went after school to get my son as I usually do. I still wait for him in the hallway outside his locker area. Most of the kids don't talk to me anymore, none of the girls and just a few of the boys. I mean I don't expect any high fives or anything but just a polite greeting sort of thing. Anyway this one young man who usually always does say hi to me and ask me how my day is going asked me about my wrapped arm. I told him that I had cancer which most of my son's class does not know. The school staff do now but not the kids. Anyway, he gave me the most heart felt hug that I've had in some time and he told me he would pray for me to get better. Nice boy I thought. Divorced parents and his dad lives in Edmonton and he only sees him once a month I think, not sure if his mom has partnered up again or not so not sure how much positive adult male time he has in his life. I always hope that I can be that for anyone who needs it.

Then after supper I thought I heard a knock at the door. It's a case of I must have been hearing things as no one ever comes to see my gf or I and my son always lets me know if his friends are coming over. I looked for a shadow in the door window and nothing so I opened it anyway.

There is this boy again with a card and a stuffed bear for me! WOW! This is almost a moment in my life. I have made such an impression on this guy that he spends his own money, walks from all the way across town too to bring it to me. He told me that he knows how much I do for him and his class, always chaparoning field trips etc. and how no one ever says thanks or anything......................he cried then, I cried going back up the steps in my house.

This day will be hard one to beat in my books.......................is it possible that you really can make a difference in someone else's life by being kind?

Cheers,

Garry

You may question whether you make a difference Garry.
I read some of just that throughout the context of this thread of yours.
I personally have a real good feeling about that Grateful Kid ...

In some ways I now see this action reflected through what Jeff, Spence, Jordan, Mike, Ryan etc. did for me Maybe it is true, what goes around, comes around? Karma?? You reap what you sow? Yeah, had to throw in some sort of farming analogy!!

This is a good world at times and mine is certainly getting a whole lot better as of recent.

Hopefully will get the 2nd air drill prepped today - without pinching my finger between a punch and the tip of the air hammer! 5 minutes into mechanical work and that happened. A wake-up call for Warfarin guy here! Still the first drill is almost ready, I just have to swap out the metering roll first thing today.

Cheers,

Garry

In some ways I now see this action reflected through what Jeff, Spence, Jordan, Mike, Ryan etc. did for me Maybe it is true, what goes around, comes around? Karma?? You reap what you sow? Yeah, had to throw in some sort of farming analogy!! This is a good world at times and mine is certainly getting a whole lot better as of recent ... Garry
Ooops ... was not attempting to direct my comment back to Jeff, Paul, Jordan, Mike nor me ... and I know if many others on this forum were nearby, they would also do much the same ...
My comment Garry is that, with what you are enduring and with everything that you continue share and do, your are making a difference. Simply stated above as a "YES". It's with your will, strength and in your actions that you are applauded. I'm thrilled that you had this experience with this young man and I applaud him as well.

A nice day at the farm, lots of odds and ends done. I didn't get as far on the 2nd drill as I'd hoped but today beings anew. Talked with cousin Brad and he said he'd be able to come and look over my tractors for me (mechanic) which he's done for a few years now it is almost a habit for me to get his help. He has a better eye and notices things I don't.

Going to school to get my son I was stopped by a lady in a SUV who turned out to be the grandmother of the lad who gave me the card and bearon Thursday. She told me how devastated her grandson was and how much he likes me. She told me he was going for therapy now to deal with some anger issues and asked if it was OK if he called or came to see me. I said that outside of farming season he was always welcome.

I wish my day could have continued like that.

My son has been in a snit for a bit now and I finally had to call him out on it and he finally told me after much prodding that he was not longer happy when he was with me and he was happier when he was with his mother. Total BS I know but still I was blindsided. My gf told me her son was the same way at that age and sadly now the teenage years begin. I had hoped to just skip it all together myself! I hope he is in better humor this morning...............

Cheers,

Garry

Garry just a thought but your son is probably hurting and frightened as well. He is too young to understand how you come to grips with somebody you love that is in distress. Perhaps has no idea of how to deal with the thought of losing you and he can only rebel.

No idea how you deal with him, teenagers are a different breed indeed. Good luck Garry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.