Aug 14, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Amplified orang
Province
ON
Looking to replace my chrome lugs with McGard black lugs but I see two different styles for the C8. I see 'cone seat style' and 'bulge cone seat style'? Are both compatible on standard C8 rims? Is one beneficial over the other?

I’ve had both styles on my C8. I have the ones with the “bulge” on them now. The “bulge” is actually a steel ring around the lug nut. I think the idea is, if you whack a socket onto the lug nut, it will just turn with the ring, not the lug nut itself. If they want our rims, they will find a way to take them. My goal is to make mine a little harder to take than the guy beside me 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve had both styles on my C8. I have the ones with the “bulge” on them now. The “bulge” is actually a steel ring around the lug nut. I think the idea is, if you whack a socket onto the lug nut, it will just turn with the ring, not the lug nut itself. If they want our rims, they will find a way to take them. My goal is to make mine a little harder to take than the guy beside me 🤷🏻‍♂️
OK everyone: do NOT park your C8 next to Bucketoy's!!

I had those locks with the ring on my Jeep...had to get them cut off last week to change over to winter rims some guy put them on to tight and they stuck to the rims...oh yeah...that was me...no more wheel locks for me. Even going to take it off the C5 in the spring
Steel and aluminum have a cathodic propensity to do that. I had to beat the rims off my plow truck with a sledge hammer a couple years ago. They get coated with anti-seize graphite now anywhere they touch now.

Steel and aluminum have a cathodic propensity to do that. I had to beat the rims off my plow truck with a sledge hammer a couple years ago. They get coated with anti-seize graphite now anywhere they touch now.
HUH! (He said in total ignorance as a 747 swooped low over is head)
Deep into the Ruuff!
LOL

This was my experience. Way too brittle. I always use a torque wrench on everything, so it wasn't due to over torqued. Two nuts had pieces broken out of them. I went back to the factory lug nuts. Our car is never left out at night anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_5770.JPG
    IMG_5770.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 10
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.