Sep 10, 2020
London
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Corvette HTC
Province
ON
Unless your buying a 1LT Coupe, everyone is now looking at luxury tax on their cars. With the Canadian 2024 prices starting to come on line, I have noticed some price increases on accessories as well. I am suggesting (and this strategy which even works for those in the USA), that you DO NOT order the following "Dealer Installed" accessories. In Ontario you will save 20% luxury tax on all of these items and then an additional 13% HST on top of the luxury tax. In Alberta your savings are less, in BC more and it may stop you being knocked up into a higher tax category if I understand correctly. Instead please use my go to parts source which is GM Parts depot who offer an 18% discount on parts plus free shipping over $100 from Ottawa. These are some of the parts I am suggesting you not order with your car which are shown with the old 2023 pricing and new 2024 prices on GM's website:
-Splash Guards $250 are now $270
-Chrome Lug Nuts $190 are now $205
-Black Lug Nuts $290 are now $310
-Coloured High Wing Spoiler $1365 is now $1475
-Carbon Flash High Wing Spoiler $1385 is now $1495 and both delete the Z51 spoiler if you order with Z51.
-Car covers $565 are now $615
-C8R car cover $1445 is now $1575
-Carbon Fiber mirror caps $1495 now $1550
-Carbon Fiber grill inserts $2670 now $2835
-Composite rocker extensions $685 are now $740
-Front Radiator Grill Screens $610 are now $635 available on Amazon for $149 for 4 screens not 2 from the factory.
-Stingray R Stripe Package $685 now $740
-All Weather Jake Floor Liners $250 now $275
-Jake Trunk & Frunk liners $180 now $195
-two piece travel bags in Jet Black was $1875 now $2045.
GM Canada will be adding more parts to the build your own configurator but these are a few of the changes that I've noticed so far.
844-4-GM-PARTS which is 1-844-446-7278
I will let everyone do their own math, but using just the splash guards as an example in Ontario if you order from the factory and pay $270 with luxury tax and HST on both it comes to $366.12.
Ordering through GM parts depot with free shipping is $185.82. Your dealer can install parts you take to them during the PDI process or afterword's. You can also do yourself or borrow your mechanics lift like I do.
Scott

Last edited:
Unless your buying a 1LT Coupe, everyone is now looking at luxury tax on their cars. With the Canadian 2024 prices starting to come on line, I have noticed some price increases on accessories as well. I am suggesting (and this strategy which even works for those in the USA), that you DO NOT order the following "Dealer Installed" accessories. In Ontario you will save 20% luxury tax on all of these items and then an additional 13% HST on top of the luxury tax. In Alberta your savings are less, in BC more and it may stop you being knocked up into a higher tax category if I understand correctly. Instead please use my go to parts source which is GM Parts depot who offer an 18% discount on parts plus free shipping over $100 from Ottawa. These are some of the parts I am suggesting you not order with your car which are shown with the old 2023 pricing and new 2024 prices on GM's website:
-Splash Guards $250 are now $270
-Chrome Lug Nuts $190 are now $205
-Black Lug Nuts $290 are now $310
-Coloured High Wing Spoiler $1365 is now $1475
-Carbon Flash High Wing Spoiler $1385 is now $1495 and both delete the Z51 spoiler if you order with Z51.
-Car covers $565 are now $615
-C8R car cover $1445 is now $1575
-Carbon Fiber mirror caps $1495 now $1550
-Carbon Fiber grill inserts $2670 now $2835
-Composite rocker extensions $685 are now $740
-Front Radiator Grill Screens $610 are now $635 available on Amazon for $149 for 4 screens not 2 from the factory.
-Stingray R Stripe Package $685 now $740
-All Weather Jake Floor Liners $250 now $275
-Jake Trunk & Frunk liners $180 now $195
-two piece travel bags in Jet Black was $1875 now $2045.
GM Canada will be adding more parts to the build your own configurator but these are a few of the changes that I've noticed so far.
844-4-GM-PARTS which is 1-844-446-7278
I will let everyone do their own math, but using just the splash guards as an example in Ontario if you order from the factory and pay $270 with luxury tax and HST on both it comes to $366.12.
Ordering through GM parts depot with free shipping is $185.82. Your dealer can install parts you take to them during the PDI process or afterword's. You can also do yourself or borrow your mechanics lift like I do.
Scott
Tell the dealer you will go fill it up with gas too. They had 75 in gas on my invoice which had 20% luxury tax added to it.

If you buy the parts from the same dealer you bought the car from, the Luxury Tax is supposed to be charged on those as well. I dont know how they are ever going to enforce that part of the law though?

Calculation of the luxury tax on improvements​

The luxury tax on improvements made to subject vehicles is calculated in accordance with section 35. For improvements, the luxury tax is the difference between the following:
  • the amount determined under section 34 using the total taxable amount, which is the taxable amount that would have been used to calculate the luxury tax on the subject vehicle if the value of consideration for the improvements had been initially included at the time the luxury tax on the subject vehicle was triggered
  • the amount determined under section 34 using the unimproved taxable amount, which is equal to the taxable amount of the subject vehicle
Therefore, the luxury tax on improvements made to subject vehicles is calculated using the following formula:
A – B
Where
Ais the lesser of:
  • the total taxable amount multiplied by 10%
  • the amount that results from subtracting $100,000 from the total taxable amount and multiplying the difference by 20%
Bis the lesser of:
  • the unimproved taxable amount multiplied by 10%
  • the amount that results from subtracting $100,000 from the unimproved taxable amount and multiplying the difference by 20%

Example – Luxury tax on improvements made to a subject vehicle​

A registered vendor sells a subject vehicle to a purchaser for a consideration of $140,000. No improvements are made at that time. The taxable amount of the subject vehicle is $140,000, and luxury tax of $8,000 is paid on the sale of the subject vehicle. The unimproved taxable amount is $140,000.
During the improvement period, the purchaser hires a service provider to install the following improvements for the following consideration: a stereo system upgrade for $2,000, vehicle wrap for $3,500 and a remote starter system for $500. The total consideration for the improvements is $6,000. The total taxable amount is $146,000.
The luxury tax on the improvements is calculated using the formula A − B where:
A is the lesser of:
  • $14,600 ($146,000 × 10%)
  • $9,200 [($146,000 − $100,000) × 20%]
B is the lesser of:
  • $14,000 ($140,000 × 10%)
  • $8,000 [($140,000 − $100,000) × 20%]
The luxury tax payable on the improvements is $1,200 ($9,200 − $8,000).

That is why I am suggesting you purchase your parts elsewhere at a lower price before the car is built, remove them from your existing car before you trade it in, and have your mechanic help you or install the parts yourself after the fact.

Now you tell me..... rookie mistake? I'm old, but new at this.
$60 difference for me.
Oh well.

Now you tell me..... rookie mistake? I'm old, but new at this.
$60 difference for me.
Oh well.
Mike, that's because your ordering Z51, FE4 Magnetic Ride Control and front lift and almost nothing else. At least those items didn't increase in price as well (yet) that you order with the car. This suggestion is to pass on the dealer installed options you can buy yourself.

Reactions: Bunny hop
Yeah. I bought a bunch of LPO parts through the parts counter at my selling dealer and they gave me 20% off the parts and I just installed them myself. I saved around $1000 doing this and had some fun at the same time.
Scotty, what you did is the point to my thread. If you add the luxury tax and HST on both you may have saved even more!

Reactions: ScottyR
Mike, that's because your ordering Z51, FE4 Magnetic Ride Control and front lift and almost nothing else. At least those items didn't increase in price as well (yet) that you order with the car. This suggestion is to pass on the dealer installed options you can buy yourself.
I ordered splash guards LPO. Whether they help deflect stones and other road debris away from the rocker panels and rear quater remains to be seen. It will be a touch of black trim, to an otherwise red ping pong table.
btw, I like your current red brake calipers with the body colour. Just a touch/hint of contrast, fwiw.

Scotty, what you did is the point to my thread. If you add the luxury tax and HST on both you may have saved even more!
HST is on everything, but if you can get the parts after the vehicle purchase, at a lower price, the HST will be less.
Lux Tax will not apply to "after buy" stuff. Has to be ordered on the vehicle, to be included, doesn't it, or am I missing something?

The government wants the dealers to charge luxury tax to items also purchased at the parts department if being added onto a vehicle.
My suggestion is to order the parts elsewhere through a discount parts depot and then install those items at another dealer, yourself
or with your mechanic if you need a lift or additional help. I bought my splash guards for $140 plus tax and installed them myself on my 2020
removed them before I sold the car and put the factory ones back, then installed them on the next car and on my most recent car.
If splash guards is all your getting your paying double as I pointed out earlier but they will be installed when you pick up the car. If you want
anything else, like battery protection package buy it elsewhere. I put the place I use at the start of this thread.

Reactions: Murray20c8
The government wants the dealers to charge luxury tax to items also purchased at the parts department if being added onto a vehicle.
My suggestion is to order the parts elsewhere through a discount parts depot and then install those items at another dealer, yourself
or with your mechanic if you need a lift or additional help. I bought my splash guards for $140 plus tax and installed them myself on my 2020
removed them before I sold the car and put the factory ones back, then installed them on the next car and on my most recent car.
If splash guards is all your getting your paying double as I pointed out earlier but they will be installed when you pick up the car. If you want
anything else, like battery protection package buy it elsewhere. I put the place I use at the start of this thread.
Didn't know they want to tax add ons after the purchase documents are drawn up??? How?
My splash guards wer $250 on my invoice, and add HST Lux works out to $339. Twice? Huh?
Sadly, it's all too late for me. The fat is in the fire. I do plan on buying some after market stuff, not at GM.
Hopefully some other brave soul with deep pockets will benefit from the advice.

Didn't know they want to tax add ons after the purchase documents are drawn up??? How?
My splash guards wer $250 on my invoice, and add HST Lux works out to $339. Twice? Huh?
Sadly, it's all too late for me. The fat is in the fire. I do plan on buying some after market stuff, not at GM.
Hopefully some other brave soul with deep pockets will benefit from the advice.
The price has been increased to $270 for 2024 plus luxury tax plus HST on both. Works out to $366.12 when you add the 20% luxury tax and then 13% on that total.
Your will be installed by the dealer at that price.

But mine were $250 on my signed sealed 2024 Stingray HTC Z51 invoice. ~$339 with HST/LUX.
Or are you saying mine will go up to $270 ++ after my order has hit 3000 status?
Sorry, it's early, it's Monday, I just rode 6 miles on my bike..... excuses, excuses.....

Last edited:
Watched Brink of Speed (Live from Corvettes at Carlisle) and Morgan is on there at the 3:20 mark. Not beating up on the guy but he is talking about placing an order for either a Eray or Z06 and says that he only has one shot at it with saving from paying the Luxury Tax. Can anyone explain how this is possible? Just seems odd when everyone else is paying.

Watched Brink of Speed (Live from Corvettes at Carlisle) and Morgan is on there at the 3:20 mark. Not beating up on the guy but he is talking about placing an order for either a Eray or Z06 and says that he only has one shot at it with saving from paying the Luxury Tax. Can anyone explain how this is possible? Just seems odd when everyone else is paying.

There is one thing government is good at and that is closing tax loopholes. Particularly on fossil fuel burning luxuries. He is fooling himself if he thinks he can beat “the man”.

A 2021 time stamped deposit, a bill of sale and order an number are required. The problem he has is you couldn't enter an order into the system in 2021 for an E-Ray as it wasn't officially announced until January 2023 and added to the GM ordering system until mid 2023. I am facing the same problem with my Z06 as I believe July 28/22 was the first day you could input an order for a Z06 into the GM computer system for an order in Canada. I will go and speak to him about it. I had breakfast with him up at the Bayfield show where it was great to meet many of you there. I have a Z06 time stamped deposit from May of 2021 and am wanting to find out!

Reactions: GM MUSL
A 2021 time stamped deposit, a bill of sale and order an number are required. The problem he has is you couldn't enter an order into the system in 2021 for an E-Ray as it wasn't officially announced until January 2023 and added to the GM ordering system until mid 2023. I am facing the same problem with my Z06 as I believe July 28/22 was the first day you could input an order for a Z06 into the GM computer system for an order in Canada. I will go and speak to him about it. I had breakfast with him up at the Bayfield show where it was great to meet many of you there. I have a Z06 time stamped deposit from May of 2021 and am wanting to find out!
Sounds about right Scott, ask me how I know (and of course you know too). Who knew that would be the magic year to leave a deposit not knowing this huge tax thing would fall down from the sky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.