Mar 16, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 HTC Z51
Province
ON
I am looking to replace my lug nuts with Black to better match the colour of the wheel (stock OEM rims) and I am wondering if there is a good replacement option that people have found (both for looks and performance) or if I just suck it up and pay the GM tax on this to be safe ($240+ tax for the set). Seeing mixed info online on hoping someone here has direct experience. I get that keeping your wheels on is important.

Also, curious if people run with locking nuts. I just stopped doing this on my other cars after my mechanic pointed out “People don’t really steal rims anymore they just take the whole car”. Good times!

My POS dealer puts them on as a matter of course on some vehicles. Mine was one.
Since I mostly took the build defaults for the various cosmetic options, my lugnuts match the rims, more or less.
I think most people add some or lots of cosmetic option stuff to their builds, so mine turned out to be somewhat unique, by default.
FWIW.

Reactions: 1st Vette
I am looking to replace my lug nuts with Black to better match the colour of the wheel (stock OEM rims) and I am wondering if there is a good replacement option that people have found (both for looks and performance) or if I just suck it up and pay the GM tax on this to be safe ($240+ tax for the set). Seeing mixed info online on hoping someone here has direct experience. I get that keeping your wheels on is important.

Also, curious if people run with locking nuts. I just stopped doing this on my other cars after my mechanic pointed out “People don’t really steal rims anymore they just take the whole car”. Good times!
I bought mine through ACS Composites, but it was in conjunction with a bunch of other 'stuff'.
You may do better elsewhere.
No, I don't have locks on the wheels.

If you have stock wheels they are silver. Why would you want black lug nuts? OR are you rims not stock, but rather black optional Q8Q wheels?

I also do NOT have locks! They are a pain if you lose or misplace the key when in for service etc.

Reactions: Vettenut
If you have stock wheels they are silver. Why would you want black lug nuts? OR are you rims not stock, but rather black optional Q8Q wheels?

I also do NOT have locks! They are a pain if you lose or misplace the key when in for service etc.
I see now my post was unclear. The wheels on the car are OEM wheels from GM, but are gloss black, not silver. Hence my desire to change the lugs (even for $250). They appear to be the ones identified in the builder app as " 19" front/20" rear 5-open-spoke Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels with machined edge" although they do not have a machined edge (they are all gloss black). Maybe the options were different in 2023. The window sticker on the car (I am buying it used) identifies different wheels which I assume were contrained at the time.

I see now my post was unclear. The wheels on the car are OEM wheels from GM, but are gloss black, not silver. Hence my desire to change the lugs (even for $250). They appear to be the ones identified in the builder app as " 19" front/20" rear 5-open-spoke Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels with machined edge" although they do not have a machined edge (they are all gloss black). Maybe the options were different in 2023. The window sticker on the car (I am buying it used) identifies different wheels which I assume were contrained at the time.
I am aligned, and not planning to put on locks.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Are these the wheels? I don't think they changed them, but the owner might have painted them or something.

1711218921566.png

Are these the wheels? I don't think they changed them, but the owner might have painted them or something.

View attachment 122087
Yes. They look exactly like that but without the machined lip. They are all gloss black. It is interesting as in my travels I saw A LOT of 2023 used vettes and a number of them, in fact many of them, had these same rims (all black no machined edge) so I assumed maybe they were a replacement option for other rims that were not available. On the window sticker for the car it shows :

"19" FRONT & 20" REAR 20-SPOKE BRIGHT MACHINED FACE FORGED ALUMINUM WHEELS"

The silver lugs look good with the rim with the machined edge but I think the black ones look better with the all black wheel (IMO) hence my desire to flip them.
Black lugs.jpg

For what it's worth:
I had mine switched out.
I think the black lugs look better against a black rim, machined edge or not.
Then again, I drive a black car (carbon flash), so what do I know?