Aug 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2022 Z51 Coupe
Province
ON
So after nearly a year of waiting, my C8 is finally starting to become a reality, just hit 3300 status on Friday with a TPW of 11/22. Hopefully production keeps up & I’ll have it by Christmas… should be an interesting week with the production numbers.

I’ll be doing some minor after market mods, nothing crazy but standard PPF, ceramic coating, aftermarket wheels & tinting which I’m in the process of getting lined up now.

I have a Z51 w/ front lift & will be getting the car lowered approx 1” using the stock lowering option, so I’ll need lowering collars for the front. My question is am I ok to do this immediately or do I need to wait until the breakin period is complete? I’m planning on getting this done within a couple of days of getting the C8 & it will likely remain in the garage for the rest of the winter, so won’t really be able to test it out much to make sure there’s no issues. That being said I’m having it done at a shop (Humberview Performance) & they’ve told me they’ve lowered multiple C8s with front lift & guarantee the work.

Any potential issues getting it done so soon?

So after nearly a year of waiting, my C8 is finally starting to become a reality, just hit 3300 status on Friday with a TPW of 11/22. Hopefully production keeps up & I’ll have it by Christmas… should be an interesting week with the production numbers.

I’ll be doing some minor after market mods, nothing crazy but standard PPF, ceramic coating, aftermarket wheels & tinting which I’m in the process of getting lined up now.

I have a Z51 w/ front lift & will be getting the car lowered approx 1” using the stock lowering option, so I’ll need lowering collars for the front. My question is am I ok to do this immediately or do I need to wait until the breakin period is complete? I’m planning on getting this done within a couple of days of getting the C8 & it will likely remain in the garage for the rest of the winter, so won’t really be able to test it out much to make sure there’s no issues. That being said I’m having it done at a shop (Humberview Performance) & they’ve told me they’ve lowered multiple C8s with front lift & guarantee the work.

Any potential issues getting it done so soon?
Only if you find suspension issues with aftermarket suspension components. As in it may void your warranty. If everything is stock and you just adjust the height you are doing what GM designed. So you only have to worry about what affects the collars may have.

I'm definitely warry of the impact on warranty.... The rears will be adjusted using the stock collars but I'll need aftermarket lowering collars for the front since it has front lift. From the research that I've done I haven't seen any cases of the lowering collars causing any issues but obviously that's not guaranteed. I also asked the shop if it would have any impact on the warranty and they told me "Lowering the car won’t affect GM warranty as long as it’s installed properly" which I have in email correspondence should any issues arise

Reactions: Murray20c8
Purely aesthetical, I don't like the wheel gap. And GM did build it to give you the option of lowering it - Z51 C8's can be lowered up to 1" using the stock shocks, it's in the owner's manual. Same with adjusting the wheel camber angle if you want to get really aggressive but don't think I'll go that far

Reactions: HINEY 1
I would ask my actual insurer underwriter (not the broker) before anyone else ...
as the start of questions on 2nd year renewal may include ...
"any modifications"? You will only regret not asking them
if an adjuster ever stink-eyes during a claim.
Next would be GM warranty including the extended warranty
underwriter as some "away from factory" modifications can throw coverage aside.
Even though if lowering is mentioned in the manual ... it never hurts to make sure.

Last edited:
I would ask my actual insurer underwriter (not the broker) before anyone else ...
as the start of questions on 2nd year renewal may include ...
"any modifications"? You will only regret not asking them
if an adjuster ever stink-eyes during a claim.
Next would be GM warranty including the extended warranty
underwriter as some "away from factory" modifications can throw coverage aside.
Even though if lowering is mentioned in the manual ... it never hurts to make sure.
Sound advice - I did reach out to my insurer and they confirmed lowering would not affect the coverage, they consider it aesthetic & not performance related. I also asked them about performance modifications - any of those would void the coverage completely, the vehicle would be uninsurable. Kinda sucks as I was considering installing sport cats at some point down the road but this would void the policy... at least that makes that decision an easy one!

Sound advice - I did reach out to my insurer and they confirmed lowering would not affect the coverage, they consider it aesthetic & not performance related. I also asked them about performance modifications - any of those would void the coverage completely, the vehicle would be uninsurable. Kinda sucks as I was considering installing sport cats at some point down the road but this would void the policy... at least that makes that decision an easy one!
You are replacing the cats. That is a maintenance item not a performance mod. Ya! Dats da ticket!

Reactions: OL Yeller
Wow … what if one “bottoms out” and would them need to replace mufflers … just doing it before the fact … that’s all 😇
I can see a supercharger voiding coverages … but exhaust pipes. Wow. From what I was told by my insurance provider, this has a lot to do with owners modifying for significant horsepower increases (like nitrous in the whatnot vehicles).
Many municipalities have noise by laws now. I know of one that takes a photo of your plate with a ticket in the mail. Cash grab except when late night as far as I am concerned.

Yea I was thinking the same thing... what constituents a repair vs a 'performance modification'? I do agree that you could definitely put up a strong case for something such as an exhaust mod being a repair, but if s**t ever hit the fan and I had a major claim being denied... I can't even imagine the headaches going up against an insurance company on this... really sucks but it's enough to scare me away from doing anything now.

And what sucks too is that there's not even an option to declare the modification to them and pay a higher premium, it's just automatic denial of coverage. oh well.

Yea I was thinking the same thing... what constituents a repair vs a 'performance modification'? I do agree that you could definitely put up a strong case for something such as an exhaust mod being a repair, but if s**t ever hit the fan and I had a major claim being denied... I can't even imagine the headaches going up against an insurance company on this... really sucks but it's enough to scare me away from doing anything now.

And what sucks too is that there's not even an option to declare the modification to them and pay a higher premium, it's just automatic denial of coverage. oh well.
They have no idea what a cat looks like on the C8! It would have to be a real pile for them to get to that.

Kudos on the diligence for knowing before it becomes a problem. I had a “not at fault hit and run” on the back quarter of my truck. Fully covered and subject to an adjuster report and damage sticker. Damage sticker obtained and 3rd party adjuster appointment was made. The adjuster came out asked for my key fob and immediately opened the hood and took a photo of the engine bay. WTF … I said “the damage is back here!” I know exactly why that photo was took and submitted with the dent pictures. Unbelievable😡👎🏻
Repairs went smooth after that 👍🏻

My 19 GMC truck has a factory installed performance intake and exhaust on it - listed on the msrp window sticker. My corvettes have performance exhausts as well and all I was told is I can replace with same/similar but must report on any upgrade. Abuse by others must have created this headache for the rest of us as it definitely is not the over-used global warming excuse … argh!

Last edited:
So far my experiences with their rep have been great, work is scheduled for this Monday. Hopefully all goes well and I'll be using them as my primary dealer for servicing the C8 going forward
Could you tell me (or anyone else who had the lowering collars put on) how much approx it would cost getting this work done at Humberview ?? The front collars seem fairly affordable, so assuming the majority of the cost is in labor to get them installed. Also curious to know if these guys also put on aftermarket exhausts, and can we bring in the brand we want to have them do it ? Not that I have a C8 landing anytime soon (gonna be a long wait) but want to have things prepared too, such that when the time comes for it to land, I have have the dealer send the car over to them to get the lowering collars on it right away, plus slap on the aftermarket rims/tires I have yet to order. Thanks

Could you tell me (or anyone else who had the lowering collars put on) how much approx it would cost getting this work done at Humberview ?? The front collars seem fairly affordable, so assuming the majority of the cost is in labor to get them installed. Also curious to know if these guys also put on aftermarket exhausts, and can we bring in the brand we want to have them do it ? Not that I have a C8 landing anytime soon (gonna be a long wait) but want to have things prepared too, such that when the time comes for it to land, I have have the dealer send the car over to them to get the lowering collars on it right away, plus slap on the aftermarket rims/tires I have yet to order. Thanks
I have friends in Montreal that can recommend performance auto places to get this stuff done if you want.

Reactions: Neils
I have friends in Montreal that can recommend performance auto places to get this stuff done if you want.
Feel free to PM me the details and thanks !! I was planning to just spend a few days in Ontario driving the car over to Humberview after taking possession next year to get the lowering done, and maybe have the dealer take care of the PPF and tint for me, as well as slap on the aftermarket rims/tires. I want to have the final look done while down there so I can enjoy the drive back home (have the car looking the way I want it to right away). Now if only I can convince ACS to make that Z06/Z07 wing sooner than later to get it installed at the dealer too (confirmed they are looking into making one)

Feel free to PM me the details and thanks !! I was planning to just spend a few days in Ontario driving the car over to Humberview after taking possession next year to get the lowering done, and maybe have the dealer take care of the PPF and tint for me, as well as slap on the aftermarket rims/tires. I want to have the final look done while down there so I can enjoy the drive back home (have the car looking the way I want it to right away). Now if only I can convince ACS to make that Z06/Z07 wing sooner than later to get it installed at the dealer too (confirmed they are looking into making one)
When you get your car I'll get you a recommendation. I wouldn't think Humberview would want to install an aftermarket exhaust on a new car, but they could certainly do rims and tires for you etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.