Apr 9, 2019
St Catharines Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1999 corvette
Province
ON
Hey all. was just wondering what most of you guys and gals are using to lock your wheels in case of theft. Is there one set better than the other. nice rims are very tempting for thieves as we all know. Normally I park her where I can see her if we stop stop for a beer, or anything for that matter. But as you well know that is not always possible depending what your doing. Have a great day all.

There are a few Dealerships automatically adding them to PDI for when parking inventory on their lots.
This often makes them a "throw-in" if you don't notice the recovery attempt in the asking price
whether a new or used Corvette. Discovered dealers find lock nuts cheaper than insuring for such loss and
going through the claim process. No-Brainer and all I have is the GM Accessory Lock Nuts on all my
vehicles.

Last edited:
Smart move. Was just wondering if one set is better than others.
The locking nut is only a theft deterrent for me - find the GM McGard accessory lock & nuts to be OK.
I always buy a second replacement socket-lock too as they are not to be ratcheted
and discovered some dealership low-techs and no-techs don't like to hand tighten.
So I have had a lock get ratchet-compromised and rendered useless because of it - good thing I have a spare lock.
I have them on my Boat trailer and its spare too as they are upgraded wheels with TPMS for my 2019 Sierra.
Check the McGard website as they have quite a selection and nut color options for some vehicles.

Last edited:
To partially answer your question "JSH", I've looked into locking lug nuts and the bottom line is that NONE of them will deter professionals; they will merely slow them down a little bit...but they can be useful for the "amateurs" out there who don't want to bother working on them. You likely know that. Then there are types which spin or else they don't present an angled surface, making it harder to put something around them or (for example) harder to hammer on a somewhat smaller sized "socket" and then remove them once the "socket" is tightly welded to the locking lug nut. With that method, the thief might lose a socket but gain the tire/rim.

Anyways, the one I keyed upon with my research was the Gorilla brand Acorn wheel locks and they were available on Amazon.ca for just under $40/set with free shipping. Their upper lock mechanism was "free spinning" and they had fairly good reviews.

But then I started buying GM accessories for my (hopefully) soon to arrive C8 and decided to purchase the GM locking lug nuts as part of my order. So I can't speak from experience about the Gorilla's and perhaps someone else on the Forum who has tried them, might comment. But at least there's a lead for you or you can go with the GM's that SN-III has suggested and which I'll be picking up soon. Good luck and let us all know what you end up doing and how they work.

Reactions: Bobbo76
a note of caution , from advice I received from a CAA mechanic.
If the locking nuts are on all year round, the guy said that after a
couple of years they are a real pain to try and remove.
I pass on his comments/experience.

Tony

For the 2021 model year, there will be a new option for wheel lock. It is called Ultra Security Wheel Lock and the order code is SQU.
I talked to my dealer and he did not know what is the difference with the old lock model. From a price list published on internet couple of weeks ago, it will be about $25 more expensive than the standard model.
If anybody knows how do the new lock look like please feel free to post a picture.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.