The Great Reset. As the Covid psy-op was winding down something was needed to continue to instill fear and panic in the masses. I know, how about WW3. Haven't heard a word about Covid in 2 weeks.

The price of tin foil is going up as well.
I'm readier for WW3 than I am for gas prices

Just the daily change-up in prices from the morning to the evening shows that we are being ripped off. $2.01 in the morning, $1.959 in the evening. Why not a steady price? My milk retains the same price ($1.85) all day. Governments (Federal or Provincial) will never voice any complaints about high pricing, they are raking it in with those taxes on fuel.

The NEW norm !!

1647025253955.png

Prices seemed to stabilize the last few days. Regular here is 165.9, premium 188.9, reg diesel 175.9, and premium diesel 192.9. No change since Tuesday.
You don't see premium diesel offered very often. This is probably why.

Excerpt:

Why you should avoid using "Premium" Diesel​

Why you should avoid using

It’s natural for most car lovers to get tempted in choosing premium diesel. After all, we love our car, so why not feed it with a diet of premium fuel like Xtra mile, Turbojet or Hi-speed? It’s human tendency to be swayed by deceptive marketing claims and the belief that a higher price usually means a superior product. Oil companies keep harping on their claims of better fuel efficiency & an increase in power from their premium range of fuels.
Do these fuels deliver on their promise? In one word, NO. Premium diesel is basically regular diesel with some cleaning additives thrown in. They do nothing to enhance the power or fuel economy of your car. Fact is, when the oil companies were pulled up by the MRTPC (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission), they were unable to prove that premium fuels make good on any of their claims. Oil companies don’t even share the exact chemicals that are used to formulate premium diesel. It is noteworthy to mention that all of them source detergent-based additives manufactured by Afton Chemical (part of the NewMarket Corp).
Car manufacturers such as Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Toyota, Ford, Skoda, Mercedes, BMW etc. strongly discourage the use of premium diesel in their cars. Makers of the national engines of India (Fiat 1.3L MJD & Nissan 1.5L DCi) do NOT recommend using premium diesel either.

You don't see premium diesel offered very often. This is probably why.

Excerpt:

Why you should avoid using "Premium" Diesel​

Why you should avoid using

It’s natural for most car lovers to get tempted in choosing premium diesel. After all, we love our car, so why not feed it with a diet of premium fuel like Xtra mile, Turbojet or Hi-speed? It’s human tendency to be swayed by deceptive marketing claims and the belief that a higher price usually means a superior product. Oil companies keep harping on their claims of better fuel efficiency & an increase in power from their premium range of fuels.
Do these fuels deliver on their promise? In one word, NO. Premium diesel is basically regular diesel with some cleaning additives thrown in. They do nothing to enhance the power or fuel economy of your car. Fact is, when the oil companies were pulled up by the MRTPC (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission), they were unable to prove that premium fuels make good on any of their claims. Oil companies don’t even share the exact chemicals that are used to formulate premium diesel. It is noteworthy to mention that all of them source detergent-based additives manufactured by Afton Chemical (part of the NewMarket Corp).
Car manufacturers such as Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Toyota, Ford, Skoda, Mercedes, BMW etc. strongly discourage the use of premium diesel in their cars. Makers of the national engines of India (Fiat 1.3L MJD & Nissan 1.5L DCi) do NOT recommend using premium diesel either.
I have watched several videos and a national TV feature where it was shown there was NO POWER or FUEL ECONOMY improvements using premium gasoline over regular. The major difference I believe is the octane rating using additives which reduce detonation and preignition. I am no expert but I understand that the engine electronics and sensors can detect early engine knock and adjust things to correct it regardless of fuel. By the way I ran my 1999 convertible with 10.1:1 compression ratio from 70,000 kms to 106,000 kms on regular 100% of the time with no problems, using several different brands. I did not baby the car but also did not drive it really aggressively. Even some 97 octane in the southern and central United States. Only thing is I used Shell premium, with no ethanol, and added fuel stabilizer, for my winter storage. I am sure others will have more comments on this, both positive and negative. Let's hear.

Everybody running their C6, C7, or C8 on regular, please raise your right hand…..

My wife’s Buick (3.6), her Camaro, and my 2019 GS require premium according to the operator manual. At the right gas station premium is also corn free.

Rumour has it, Shell 91 is the lone survivor.
Recently Cdn Tire & Costco started adding corn to their 91.
Costco buys fuel from any supplier that gives them the best price of the day. I have seen tankers from various companies delivering there. You never know whose gas you are getting. Co-op and Esso are corn free... At least in Alberta they are.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I think Governments responsible (federal and/or provincial) should pass legislation requiring that fuel receipts has an instant updated price breakdown for what one is paying for at the specific pump one is at. This way consumers (tax payers) will know what a price for 1 litre goes toward. We can then focus on the culprit. One thing for sure is that not much of it gets to the shareholders … jmo
(I am not wanting an average whatnot calculation from a media outlet - they are no longer trustworthy)

Here is opening a very debatable topic. Let's see who has arguments to agree and who says "Nay!" to Jeff Smith.

“What I Learned Today” With Jeff Smith — Ethanol Isn’t The Bad Guy

By JEFF SMITH MARCH 15, 2022

Today, everyone blames the alcohol (ethanol) in our pump gasoline as the root cause of everybody’s fuel system problems. Tests have revealed that the levels of aromatics (which are nasty chemical ethers) now used in nearly all pump gasoline are the real cause of these failures — not the alcohol.

To illustrate this point, pour straight alcohol (like rubbing alcohol or even Jim Beam) in a Styrofoam cup and let it sit for hours. Nothing will happen. Pour an ounce or two of regular pump gasoline in one of these cups and see what happens. Don’t hold the cup over anything you care about because you will get wet as the fuel will instantaneously melt the Styrofoam.

Many gas pumps, especially in the Midwest, offer fuel with no ethanol. In order to create a similar octane rating, these fuels use even greater percentages of BTEX to offset the loss of the octane boost from 10-percent ethanol. A higher percentage of BTEX can be the source of other ether-related issues.
Toluene is one of the milder aromatics used in pump gasoline. Typical pump gasoline can contain as much as 25-percent (!) aromatics which are these ether-based chemicals. These are generally referred to as BETX – which stands for Benzene, Ethylbenzene, Toluene, and Xylene. These are nasty chemicals and are the real culprits traced to attacking carburetors and fuel systems suffering from corrosion issues.

What’s worse, when combusted, BTEX chemicals create what are called ultra-fine particles (UFP). These particulates are so small that they can travel past the membrane in your lungs and directly enter into your bloodstream and possibly lead to cancer and other blood-related health problems.

So when someone tells you that ethanol is the cause of your fuel system problems, clue them into the issues around BTEX and what is really happening. Ethanol may contribute a small amount of water to the fuel and this can create a corrosive environment, but these BTEX chemicals are the real bad actors in pump gasoline.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith, a 35-year veteran of automotive journalism, comes to Power Automedia after serving as the senior technical editor at Car Craft magazine. An Iowa native, Smith served a variety of roles at Car Craft before moving to the senior editor role at Hot Rod and Chevy High Performance, and ultimately returning to Car Craft. An accomplished engine builder and technical expert, he will focus on the tech-heavy content that is the foundation of EngineLabs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.