Dec 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2016 ZF1 Stingray
Province
QC
How many of you had arguments or fights to get the approval from your significant other? Ever since I attended the Italian festival 3 years ago and saw those Lambo's and Ferrrari's in person and hearing them rev for the crowd I was struck by an arrow from a cupid. 2 years later one afternoon I took a drive out of town to see a very cool looking 1987 C4 with the greenwood kit. As I was test driving it my GF called so I pulled over to answer the phone and all hell broke loose with nasty comments and it wiped the smile off my face and made me feel terrible. She gave me hell for the whole day and several days afterwards saying it was stupid to spend money. She didn't care if I had the money to pay for it, for her it was a foolish expense. Never mind the arguments I had with her trips to Europe and the Caribbeans with her mother...

We don't live with each other, I have a small house and she has a condo, we've been together for 9 years like this. It came very close to a break up on a few occasion and I was real upset she wanted to shut down my new goal. If I purchased one she wouldn't get in, then she'd argue those cars didn't have enough room for groceries, etc.

Surprisingly after several months one day she did a complete 360 and she was okay with it, I found it real odd she had changed her mind all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure her father told her to wise up and let it go. He's also the guy who helps me with my taxes so he knows my income as a self made one man shop business. Fast forward another 5 months and I sent her the 2014 corvette video with Jay Leno talking about how much storage was in the trunk for groceries(6 minute mark). I finally decided to spend more to get the exotic model I really want which is the C7. Now I'm able to send links to her for her opinion of the listings I’m currently shopping for.

Another reason why I want an exotic car is a goal to reach for. I want it as a prize for my hard work and efforts to start a small business from scratch. No one helped me and I learned it all by myself with extensive research and reading many books and countless months of taking notes and making a plan. It's also a prize in the back of my mind because I have to deal with difficult customers on a daily basis, the attitude and comments wear you down and all the crappy adventures that come with the territory.

I'm glad it's working out now.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Married 37 years, together for 40 years. Bills paid, a little saved, no wolf at the door, we leave each other to do what makes us happy. Occasionally there is a nexus of those things. She would be pissed if the bills weren't paid and the car took precedence over groceries but other than that it's all cool. I come home regularly to new furniture, new appliances, new shoes, and the same philosophy applies. I like sitting on the new couch and she likes us taking the Corvette for a spin together.

I told her yesterday I bought a new 4 post lift and she told me a new sectional was being delivered by Wayfair next week. Life's good.

I'm much like Cariboo (except better looking)... lol.... My wife (not married but together forever, no kids) and I always had separate jobs and separate bank accounts (and still do with the bank accounts). We do our own things, have our own hobbies, vehicles, and pretty much don't need approval or blessings from each other for the individual things we do. We own our home and RV together and have one shared bank account for only paying house bills, and buying groceries. We go on trips either together or not depending what it is (I fish and hunt.. she doesn't). Buying my first Vette, I researched it, found one, told her what I was doing and asked if she wanted to come see it with me. She did. Same thing with the second one... When the Vette comes out to play she will often go with me as she loves sightseeing and cruising the countryside but doesn't care what we are driving in whatsoever. She has no grasp of the sports car attraction at all, has never driven mine, but has no problem with me owning them. I think I'll keep her. :Biggrin:

I'm much like Cariboo (except better looking)... lol.... My wife (not married but together forever, no kids) and I always had separate jobs and separate bank accounts (and still do with the bank accounts). We do our own things, have our own hobbies, vehicles, and pretty much don't need approval or blessings from each other for the individual things we do. We own our home and RV together and have one shared bank account for only paying house bills, and buying groceries. We go on trips either together or not depending what it is (I fish and hunt.. she doesn't). Buying my first Vette, I researched it, found one, told her what I was doing and asked if she wanted to come see it with me. She did. Same thing with the second one... When the Vette comes out to play she will often go with me as she loves sightseeing and cruising the countryside but doesn't care what we are driving in whatsoever. She has no grasp of the sports car attraction at all, has never driven mine, but has no problem with me owning them. I think I'll keep her. :Biggrin:
I agree...mostly...

Told my wife I'm going to buy the car. She thought I was joking until I came back with the invoice. Can we afford this? Somehow most things seem to work out with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work. If not now ... when? Life seems to go by quicker as we get older. Enjoy your ride. She still comments on how useless it is, especially in the winter months. I just smile and agree.

Happy wife = happy life, or so I hear.

Alternative solution: Don't have a wife.
F-that happy wife shite!

If she's not happy with *whatever*, I could care less. She's welcome to use the door. I've got better things to do with my life than spend my time keeping *her* happy or adjusting my life so she's not "upset".

I tried that "happy wife" philosophy with the first wife. Yeah, you read that right. I said "first wife". It doesn't work. All it does is make you more and more resentful until you finally can't stand her BS any longer.

Second wife is happy just for me to be happy. And, surprisingly enough, that makes me want to reciprocate and treat her right.

"Happy wife happy life" is a one sided recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, you begin to think there's gotta be something more to life. Shortly after that, you're single again.....

F-that happy wife shite!

If she's not happy with *whatever*, I could care less. She's welcome to use the door. I've got better things to do with my life than spend my time keeping *her* happy or adjusting my life so she's not "upset".

I tried that "happy wife" philosophy with the first wife. Yeah, you read that right. I said "first wife". It doesn't work. All it does is make you more and more resentful until you finally can't stand her BS any longer.

Second wife is happy just for me to be happy. And, surprisingly enough, that makes me want to reciprocate and treat her right.

"Happy wife happy life" is a one sided recipe for disaster. Sooner or later, you begin to think there's gotta be something more to life. Shortly after that, you're single again.....
apparently the first wife was the wrong one.. sounds like the second one is the right one... :)

apparently the first wife was the wrong one.. sounds like the second one is the right one... :)
👍

everyone needs a "practice wife". You find out in very short order what is (and isn't) important in a relationship......at least what you want to deal with ina relationship. Most of us (I said most) are just totally oblivious to what you actually want in a wife until you're arse deep in something you wish you weren't....

So I checked with the insurance if I went ahead a bought a new 1LT, not bad not bad, only 681$/year for a brand new replacement -1000$ deductible. My GF called me this afternoon after having lunch with her dad and he thought I was going for an older 20 000$ dollar car, he was astounded to hear it was 60K plus taxes. Then said I should save the money if something happens to me, wait several years before I bought it, expensive storage fees, what am I going to do with this thing anyway, etc.

Heck I'm not paying it all in one shot and put all my eggs in one basket but I sure can sell it cheaper it if something really bad happens. I think it's better to have a car I can sell and lose some cash than having all the money in the bank account doing absolutely nothing... Money that no one sees in the bank won't turn heads in the summer and put a smile on my face saying good job buddy you accomplished something. I have built many modified trail trucks and I loved the attention it got.

If I can't find storage that's reasonable in rent I'll just buy a tempo. Just today a customer called for a service call so I could you know just come out in the evening for cheap as if I'm a nobody. He hung up on me mid sentence. I freaking deserve a reward.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BDK
Been married 30 years and together at least 35 years (I have to ask again :bag:). When I bought mine the wife was in full agreement. She likes cruising in it just as much as I do. She has had the Corvette grin too. I tend to agree with Tourmax in that do what makes you happy.

Reactions: Tango
Been married 47 years...
My nice wife told me a few years ago to go out and get a second one.!
It only took two weeks to double the Vette quantity In the garage.
I don’t think the Vettes or the ‘date’ are going anywhere.
Every one is a keeper.
graham

Reactions: turbozig
F-that happy wife shite!

Guest the expression is wrong Tourmax - Happy Husband = Happy Wife

Reactions: turbozig
So I checked with the insurance if I went ahead a bought a new 1LT, not bad not bad, only 681$/year for a brand new replacement -1000$ deductible. My GF called me this afternoon after having lunch with her dad and he thought I was going for an older 20 000$ dollar car, he was astounded to hear it was 60K plus taxes. Then said I should save the money if something happens to me, wait several years before I bought it, expensive storage fees, what am I going to do with this thing anyway, etc.

Heck I'm not paying it all in one shot and put all my eggs in one basket but I sure can sell it cheaper it if something really bad happens. I think it's better to have a car I can sell and lose some cash than having all the money in the bank account doing absolutely nothing... Money that no one sees in the bank won't turn heads in the summer and put a smile on my face saying good job buddy you accomplished something. I have built many modified trail trucks and I loved the attention it got.

If I can't find storage that's reasonable in rent I'll just buy a tempo. Just today a customer called for a service call so I could you know just come out in the evening for cheap as if I'm a nobody. He hung up on me mid sentence. I freaking deserve a reward.
GEE Whiz Tango! You mean your customers think your services are free? And I bet they also think they are doing you a favor giving you some work. I had a few of those in the past. They got the best service I could offer them, which was none.
I waited till I was 67 before the leap. Checked out several used and finally bought new off the lot. Haven't had any regrets and am enjoying the miles.
None of my business but it sounds like your GF has her interests at heart.

I don't ask for permission and "original wife" sometimes gives me "the look" when I admit I have a new Corvette on order or one show up in the garage but she's always happy to ride in them. She worked all her life before we retired and we both have our own bank accounts and don't restrict each other's spending on anything but a new house which we do together.

Hi Tango. I think I was in a very similar place mentally when I bought my first Corvette 10 years ago—a lot of job stress, etc., and I was looking for something to reward myself with. After showing my wife the financial picture (i.e. we could afford it without sacrificing anything else) I bought a used 2008 3LT coupe in 2009 with 5000 kms on it. I used it as a daily driver late March/early November. Totally worth it. Have a stressful day, put the roof under the hatch, put on some tunes, and by the time I got home I felt human again. I’m retired now and “in between vettes” but I would make the same decision in a heartbeat. I say go for it. Best of luck to you.

Tango, that 87 looks great!!!!

Great stories on relationship and the dynamics from everyone. I know my financial situation.... I'm in no danger of coming home with a new Vette. If I had everything for the house to run in order, such as a reliable family vehicle, bills paid, food on the table, etc, then I would make an argument for a newer Vette and I'm sure my wife would be on board. It's just a matter of showing all the angles being covered. However, that's being married and both of us investing in kids/house/future together so it's a decision that both of us would have to be comfortable with. As your significant other is your girlfriend (And not to say she's just a girlfriend), but it sounds like she has her life and you have yours. You know your financial situation and mental health so if you believe it's a good purchase, then she really has no say. And not to pretend I know it all or the whole situation and I am trying to say this with all sensitivity, but if she acts like this and tries to control what you are doing or pouts when you aren't married, it'll only magnify more greatly once you are (not to say disagreements aren't normal but food for thought).

GEE Whiz Tango! You mean your customers think your services are free? And I bet they also think they are doing you a favor giving you some work. I had a few of those in the past. They got the best service I could offer them, which was none.
I waited till I was 67 before the leap. Checked out several used and finally bought new off the lot. Haven't had any regrets and am enjoying the miles.
None of my business but it sounds like your GF has her interests at heart.

(Off topic)
Not just one but many, I had to implement double signatures on my work orders for service calls because some groups of people would argue when it was time to pay. In French the term is "They listen to what they want to hear" some argued the hourly rate was a fixed price, labor, materials and taxes included. Some would argue they did not want to pay taxes etc. Did you know some of them try to haggle the price with the cashier at home depot? :Lurk5:And many many more things, like one time a group of creole women stole my work order and argued the pipe installation for a future dishwasher was included, It wasn't agreed upon in the beginning and they had no dishwasher anyway!! I was at my last connection when this happened they were screaming like banshees and the young adult daughter, who was the only sane person in this place, was trying to calm her hysteric mom. I removed all my brand new water pipes for their new fridge... I had to threaten to call the police to get my work order back and got only a fraction of the job paid because I had to fix a broken drain in the basement. I no longer work for these group. Anyway other white folks turn ugly too. Reason why I think, they are angry to pay money to have their plumbing repaired instead that money could go towards a new T.V. A TV brings them pleasure but not drinking water. They hate to have to pay a plumber to unclog their one and only toilet, it should be next to free.

They have no idea how extensive the education is, the licensing and legal hoops in Quebec to be a master plumber, I probably spent more time in class and have more diplomas than a lawyer.

(Back on topic), I see you guys have it good with your wives, nice. Yesterday after speaking with her dad about my shopping, she started her negative speech again, this time I told her to stop breaking my fun at looking for a C7, it's my money, I can afford it and I'm going to finance half of it and keep the other half for rainy days. I'm shopping to get one before summer, I want to go to the Italian festival in style and like all you guys say we aren't getting any younger.:) Looking at an ad today I saw an 2015 orange vette. I think it's my favorite color from the pallet they offer, my second vote would be grey. She really didn't like orange, Whatever, good thing we don't live together! To reply to @Riley P I will never allow us to live together, I need my space, my things, my life. It's very uncommon to live separately in a relationship but for me it's the only way. Living together I'd lose and I probably wouldn't be in business for myself because all the effort and hours it takes. I saw too many men get washed away. Nope!

Last edited:
Reactions: LE BARON
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.