May 8, 2018
SW Ont.
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 Z51 Mag ride
Province
ON
I have been reading in the manual that the Eray electric motor Drive Unit requires an oil change at every 15 hours of track use - see your dealer. Does anyone know how to go about doing this yet?

Last edited:
I have been reading in the manual that the Eray electric motor requires an oil change at every 15 hours of track use - see your dealer. Does anyone know how to go about doing this yet?
From the manual:

Front Hybrid Drive Unit Fluid (E-Ray) If equipped, the front hybrid drive unit fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track use. This procedure can be complex, see your dealer.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
From the manual:

Front Hybrid Drive Unit Fluid (E-Ray) If equipped, the front hybrid drive unit fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track use. This procedure can be complex, see your dealer.
The Stingray is expensive enough as it is. Who needs that?

Reactions: DenisC8
I ordered an Eray as it best suits my needs and driving abilities on track and for use on the road 8 months of the year in Southern Ontario. Only looking for answers to help me service it myself like I have with all my cars for the past 50 years. Usually going to dealers is a bad experience for me due to incompetence or lack of knowledge on the techs part so I will find out how to do it right.

I ordered an Eray as it best suits my needs and driving abilities on track and for use on the road 8 months of the year in Southern Ontario. Only looking for answers to help me service it myself like I have with all my cars for the past 50 years. Usually going to dealers is a bad experience for me due to incompetence or lack of knowledge on the techs part so I will find out how to do it right.
How often do you have to change it in normal driving?

So, you're buying it mostly to get the AWD ability? For winter driving, and summer tracking? That seems reasonable, although the 15 hours electric motor oil change limit will get expensive quickly, if you do track it, I'd imagine.
As a true EV (on electric alone) it only has about 4-5 miles range, at or under 45 mph. Not sure I know how that helps the environment, or acts as a viable form of transportation, except maybe taking the kids to school and back, or going to the corner store. Some of the C8 folks on here drive almost that far from their houses, to the nearest municipal roadway.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Good catch GM MUSL; always pays to read the manual. With the E-Ray being so new, you may face a challenge figuring out how to change the electric motor oil. Hopefully you've got a good relationship with the dealer selling you the car, so it'll provide you with a copy of the "GM procedure/bulletin" made for the servicing techs, rather than simply insist you bring the car into them for that work. Even then, you have to be careful you can establish whatever you've done, was done correctly, should there be a problem and GM question your warranty claim. Let us know how this story ends and good luck!

Reactions: GM MUSL
On Jay Lenos Garage, he recently did a review and drive of the C8 Eray. He had with him the Corvette Chief Engineer, who noted the E Ray is probably the most complicated commercial product ever produced. By all means do whatever you can yourself, but sometimes ya just have to accept that you need an expert. I call it picking yer battles.(LOL)

I don't think the Eray was ever considered as an overly environmentally friendly vehicle. Interesting on the electric motor oil change. And I thought the stingray was a tech maintenance nightmare. One more reason for me to appreciate my C7.
Agree. How can a hybrid that can't be plugged in, and only goes 5 miles at 45 mph on electricity, and costs a king's ransom, appeal to the masses, never mind be environmentally friendly? It was Mary Barra trying to get the EPA, and the eco-warriors, off her (GM's) case.
I chose "tech maintenance nightmare" over "strange oil change rituals".

Reactions: Dave91TM
How often do you have to change it in normal driving?
I found it! You must change hybrid drive unit fluid Every 72,000kms if not tracking the Eray. I found more ERay maintenance items we don't normally see:
Drain and fill power electronic cooling system and rechargeable energy storage system coolant every five years, or 240000kms whichever comes first.
I also discovered the front lift fluid must be changed every 5 years. It pays to read the owners manual!

Reactions: DenisC8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.