Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always secured insurance and registration before I hand over bank draft
It may vary by jurisdiction but here in the NWT ….

Register a vehicle for the first time​

Available in-person only

Visit a driver and vehicle office with:
  1. Photo identification
  2. Bill of sale/transfer of ownership
  3. New vehicle information statement (if brand new vehicle)
  4. Proof of insurance (insurance must match the bill of sale and have an NWT address)
  5. If transferring from another jurisdiction, you must provide the previous registration
You will be issued a registration certificate along with your licence plate will be issued if you have all of the above.
NOTE: Fines must be paid and processed before a vehicle can be registered (can take 24 to 48 hours) .
Vehicles on public roads and highways in the Northwest Territories must have valid insurance and a vehicle registration certificate. Registrations are issued annually.

I didn't pay before delivery. I paid on delivery. The dealership has insurance so there's no need
In Ontario apparently. Not here .
You technically don't even need to add the new vehicle to your insurance policy for 14 days. New vehicles are automatically covered for 2 weeks even if you don't notify your insurer
Maybe so but you need registration here before the vehicle can be driven. And to do that you need a pink card . Pretty simple.

You technically don't even need to add the new vehicle to your insurance policy for 14 days. New vehicles are automatically covered for 2 weeks even if you don't notify your insurer
Be careful with this one.

This is true in Ontario, but as my agent clarified "Only if the vehicle does not exceed the most expensive vehicle on the current/given policy"

If your insurance broker told you that is the law in Ontario then he/she is wrong. There is absolutely no conditional requirement about the price to the new vehicle. You can buy a new Ferrari and it is by law insured under your existing auto policy for up to 14 days even if your other car is a $10k Nissan. You can read the law/standard Ontario policy as see yourself. section 2.2.1 of OAP-1.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
You can read the law/standard Ontario policy as see yourself. section 2.2.1 of OAP-1

I am not a lawyer but the act seems to be written in laymans English. She (my broker) did not mention it was law but I can see that it is.

But if you read the part of the act statement below. Don't expect them (insurance company) to cover the loss of a 150k vehicle if you only have a 10k Nissan on the policy.
As I read it, it they will provide the maximum coverage up to the 10K or value of the highest vehicle on the policy. Sure would not want to test your theory with the insurance company.

Any to add to this, if you where previously driving a 10K Nissan, I would want to make sure that the insurance company would except/underwrite the said expensive vehicle. No all insurance companies will provide coverage on C8's

2.2.1 Newly Acquired Automobiles
A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and
that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional
automobile.
The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described
automobile it replaces

I'm an insurance lawyer so I stand by what I said.

FYI... the sentence you highlighted in red is talking about "replacement automobiles" and not an "additional automobile". It's also stating that the coverage on the replacement is going to be the same as the coverage on the replaced auto. So if you didn't have collision property damage coverage on your old car you are replacing then the new replacement auto also wont have that coverage.

BTW... the "newly acquired auto" provision is not litigated that often so this isnt hasnt really come up very often at all. It has only come up once for me.

If you think the insurance companies wont put up a fight, you are correct. That's their job. But if the issue is litigated in Court the insurance company always has an uphill battle. Here is one example from a quick search:

The guy's insurer literally told him they dont insured motorcycles but the tribunal held that doesn't matter and that his motorcycle was automatically insured for the first 14 days

I am not a lawyer but the act seems to be written in laymans English. She (my broker) did not mention it was law but I can see that it is.

But if you read the part of the act statement below. Don't expect them (insurance company) to cover the loss of a 150k vehicle if you only have a 10k Nissan on the policy.
As I read it, it they will provide the maximum coverage up to the 10K or value of the highest vehicle on the policy. Sure would not want to test your theory with the insurance company.

Any to add to this, if you where previously driving a 10K Nissan, I would want to make sure that the insurance company would except/underwrite the said expensive vehicle. No all insurance companies will provide coverage on C8's

2.2.1 Newly Acquired Automobiles
A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and
that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional
automobile.
The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described
automobile it replaces
Insurance companies act in their own best interest. Never take what an insurer says as verbatim! This I know from experiece.

Reactions: redpearl99
Why do people pay before delivery day?
You don't really need to pay before delivery. For example, I bought the car off the showroom floor in Ontario. My car is stuck right now for over a month due to the recall. So far I have only paid $1000.00 deposit on it for them to hold it for me. But they have done a finance check and have gotten me approved for financing etc. If you're paying a down payment you also need to make arrangements for that of course, in my case that is an additional $19,000.00, but I have not given that to the dealer yet. I also got a quote from my insurance guy for the car, but I can apparently get that activated right away whenever I need to pull the trigger on it. The cost for insurance and the remainder of my down payment will not leave my account until I go to actually take possession of the car. This might be different for people who are ordering their cars following the typical build your own car process though.

i paid for mine so i could take it home the next day, however the next day they told me there was a recall and i could'nt take possession. It was the perfect storm. nobody at fault except gm i guess.
This seems like you may be getting a bit finessed through the dealership. If I understood you starting this thread correctly, it seems like you only "bought" the car within the last 2 weeks. But the dealerships have known about this 'stop delivery' (thats the terminology that they are using), for weeks now. For example, mine has been there for going on 4+ weeks now.

Apparently the dealers need to have insurance on all cars once they come in AND they're paying interest to GM for the financing that they have to do in order to receive the car in the first place, before handing it over to the buyer. So to my understanding the dealership is losing money while the car is just sitting in their show room, waiting for the recall to be resolved. Perhaps, in an effort to avoid that loss they pushed the car onto you before they should have. Just a thought.

That's a good thought @kshsd A dealer can take your money, but until the purchase actually takes possession it remains owned by the dealer. Now possession is likely driven by paperwork. If I signed that I took possession I can't see how a dealership can keep my car "legally". If they signed that it's mine, then it's mine.
I'm no lawyer so what do i know. Usually when I purchase a car the salesman has the keys in his hand and hands them to me as soon as I sign on the dotted line.

How far away do you live form the dealership? Maybe ask them to flatbed to your garage.
I get it, I like to go down to the garage and check and see if it is there still :) lol
If it is s software update that can typically be done remotely can it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread