This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Coupe or Convertible, if you've had both and were going to order again?

I have only had the coupe but I hands down like the looks better. Be nice not to give up the rear trunk but the only time I need that is the few times I go on road trips a year and I’ve found ways to deal with it. Also travelling around North America for years on a bike this is a luxury already.

Since Mr.Corvette is looking for more responses to this thread, I'll chime in. If you're a golfer like me it's a no brainer: the HTC with the top down, allows use of the full trunk for club storage. I also prefer the look of the HTC since I find it more "exotic" however as always, looks are a matter of taste. Speaking of "looks", it's neat to see people's interest when watching the HTC top go up/down. I've had several pull out their cell phones to record the last of the 16 seconds. Finally and although not a consideration for many, there's all that money saved when not "dolling up" the engine compartment like many do with their coupes. Others have mentioned other pros/cons above. There's really no "right decision" due to the various factors and people's taste/wants. We're all winners with such a great car!

Well I will add my cents as well! I have a 2022 coupe now and my 2023 convertible is being built soon. I changed from the coupe to the convertible just to have more room in the trunk, with the top in the trunk there is no room so I went for the convertible. By the time I get the Eray and Z06 which are also on order I should be able to make up my mind by then. Maybe!!!!

Reactions: BCL and Murray20c8
Thanks for your input. The highlight of the HTC is the roof for sure. The ease of putting it down with the remote or switch without the loss of trunk space is a big advantage for the HTC. I don't trust people so I take one of my other cars to the golf course. I save a lot of time cleaning as well as I don't have to do the engine every week. My old red engine cover would show the dust after every drive requiring weekly cleaning of the engine compartment. I also had the engine appearance package and transparent top which hasn't increased in price since 2020 but still offsets the extra 9K for the HTC by just under $2300 which I was going to reorder if going back to the coupe. I would love to retro fit the front roof section of the HTC with a transparent top and black nacelles to balance the look and give the interior a less confined feel. I started this thread to see what others who have managed to own both would select if they had to do it again. I wasn't considering the additional cost of the HTC as a main factor, just what everyone thought about the styling, convenience, and livability of each model would have them select.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't own a Corvette, and never have. But have had 4 rag top convertibles, and so was at first looking at a coupe vette to buy. But the hard top is a game changer, and I'm now convertible shopping instead.
The hard top looks great, and watching the youtube videos of it opening & closing, damn that's slick.
Sure it weighs 102 lbs more than the coupe, but unless ultimate performance is your goal, it shouldn't matter.
Rag tops come with too many disadvantages for me, especially as I age.

Reactions: Mr.Corvette
I have had both and I would go with HTC. It is a pain taking that roof off and storing it. You might drop it, scratch it , etc. Once I left it home and had gone to see my sister in-law and they had said , no rain,0%!!! Never left it home again. 2 of my Vettes were/are , push a button and down it goes. Push a button and up it goes. If you get caught in the rain, you slow down and 15 seconds later you are safe but coupe , a complete stop , get out , pull top out , hurry to fix it back and you are all wet and so is the wife.

Reactions: BCL and PapaSmurf
My C7 (2019) was a coupe. Really liked the car and would not have chosen a Vert back then as I didn't like the Styling of the Rag top vs the Coupe.....Just rec'd my 23 HTC a few weeks ago, and it's awesome....
1) IMO, the HTC styling is better than the coupe, which wasn't the case in the C7, unless the Engine view is that important to you, but not to me..
2) When the HTC is opening / closing, most people stop in their tracks and watch the process. There are a ton of gears and moving parts, which is a potential problem, but pretty cool design.
3) I definitely have the top off alot more than when I had the coupe.....easier / more convenient to put down and no loss of storage space is also an excellent feature
4) Big difference when driving with the top off now vs the Coupe in regards to noise / wind tunnel....My wife would almost have to hang on to her hat in the coupe with the roof off, but in the HTC, and having the back window down, it's alot quieter and less windy in the cabin....
Summary, yes, it's a pretty big jump in $$ for the HTC, but if you can afford it, the HTC is a MUST IMO....

Rain will not enter the cabin if you keep your speed over 80 KPH!

Last edited:
I totally agree. I had ordered a coupe , at first but as soon as I saw the convertible and hard top to boot, I had to have it. I do not regret the extra cash because I have dreamt of an HTC performance car all my life.

Would be nice if they offered a true coupe, I don't utilize the Targa...
Jack do you mean one like my 2002 C5 Z06 where the roof was fixed and couldn't be removed? You prefer
that to the option (even if your take the base body coloured top with the coupe) instead of having the choice?

Yes, just a true hard top Coupe. Structural integrity would be enhanced also...
Back then the C5 was 4 1/2 times structurally stronger than the C4 with no squeaks and rattles with or without a roof.
In the coupe, I preferred it with the transparent top as it made the car feel more open and less confined.
Either way your votes for a coupe not the HTC if you were to order another C8 it sounds like.

Definitely prefer the HTC, for all the reasons previously mentioned. At first, I was attracted to the engine visibility aspect of the coupe but heard about the hassle of keeping it clean as well as the possibility of people scratching the paint while leaning over to take a closer look at the engine. To each their own, but I love the convenience of the HTC’s ease of retracting the roof and tend to have the top down every chance I get. Not sure I would go topless as often if I had the coupe. Like someone else mentioned, either way it’s a beautiful car, and I’m fortunate to own one…..now if I could get a Z06 or ERay, I’d be even happier!

Reactions: BCL
Yes, just a true hard top Coupe. Structural integrity would be enhanced also...
GM is unlikely to do that. A Targa only has to meet US safety standards for a convertible. A fixed roof coupe would have to meet hardtop standards, which are a good bit stricter and would require a whole new set of crash tests.

Reactions: 12cents