So to summarize:
HTC - Whee! Look at me !!
Coupe: Whee! Look at my engine !!

I had 2005 MB SLK HTC and really enjoyed the HTC (traded in for C8) but wife did not. When configuring the C8, I specced what I wanted but for fun decided to have her spec one and discuss:
HTC - she spends more on skin care and hair than I spend on accessories so HTC got deleted.
Color changed from Red Mist to Rapid Blue and that is a fantastic color.
Z51 got deleted because the tires, the rear spoiler (she called that a Civic "tuner" look) and I am not allowed to track.
Interior/Seat went basic black and GT1. Wow are they comfortable and easy to clean.

So she took the $20,000 savings went shopping in Milan and Paris and I got a transparent top that is

Reactions: Murray20c8
Own HTC, next time would buy a coupe. HTC is PITA (pain in the …).
It's been great to read everyone's input and responses. You like me, have been a life long couple guy. In your case from C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 you bought coupes.
Then in 2020 you order your C8 as a HTC. Why the change? You also have me curious as to what it is that you don't like about your current car?

This thread is a great read. I have a 2023 HTC and have never owned a coupe. However, I did have an Inifiniti G35S HTC and have a C3 with removable top so some related experience! First, I get that the current C8 coupe makes the removal and storage of the top WAY easier than my C3...no argument. Regardless, you can't just "drop the top" on a whim with a coupe, there is a level of effort and foresight involved. Often, I was out in my G35S, or now with the C8, and just feel like putting the top down...push a button and done...for me, it increases the joy of driving it. I also like the look better (personal preference) and the "cool" factor associated with the up and down Transformer look.

End of the day, it's all what turns your crank...there is no wrong answer, 2 versions of a spectacular car. However, if you haven't had a HTC car before, at least go for a ride in one before you decide...having had one before, the decision was obvious, at least for me.

It's been great to read everyone's input and responses. You like me, have been a life long couple guy. In your case from C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 you bought coupes.
Then in 2020 you order your C8 as a HTC. Why the change? You also have me curious as to what it is that you don't like about your current car?
I always dreamed that an HTC would be the sweet spot between an ugly ragtop (which I would never own) and a coupe. So when the HTC came out, I jumped on it. Was almost immediately sorry.

Some, not all, issues:

1. Wind noise from air leaks With top up. Common problem.
2. complex motors, cables, etc. all prone to failure. When your roof is stuck halfway up at a highway reststop, how do you get home?
3. UGLY, and I mean butt-ugly rear bulge, destroying the line of the rear.
4. Same UGLY bump cuts into rearview mirror visibility.
5. people screaming at u at the lights, since apparently u want to talk to them for 15 seconds between light changes. Some may love the attention, but here it is almost always annoying. I do not need to be admired. Maybe others do.
6. no engine visibility.
7. higher price (you could buy 3lt or z51 for same money instead, etc)
8. More complex oil check.
9. holds about 2 quarts of water against the back window after washing, before it so very slowly drains away.
10. the same downslope towards the back window also collects debris against back window.
Well, I think 10 reasons is good enough to get started.

If it isn’t, then #11 should suffice.

11. roll over with top down and you are dead.

Last edited:
I always dreamed that an HTC would be the sweet spot between an ugly ragtop (which I would never own) and a coupe. So when the HTC came out, I jumped on it. Was almost immediately sorry.

Some, not all, issues:

2. complex motors, cables, etc. all prone to failure. When your roof is stuck halfway up at a highway reststop, how do you get home?
5. people screaming at u at the lights, since apparently u want to talk to them for 15 seconds between light changes. Some may love the attention, but here it is almost always annoying. I do not need to be admired. Maybe others do.
6. no engine visibility.
9. holds about 2 quarts of water against the back window after washing, before it so very slowly drains away.
10. the same downslope towards the back window also collects debris against back window.

Wow, my mind is blown. Sun is too bright, ocean is too wet and sex is a waste of time and calories

-Not mine. Very quiet. Same ad my friend's coupe.

2. complex motors, cables, etc. all prone to failure.
-Complex, yes. Don't agree that they are prone to failure.

-I have mine adjusted such that I have good visibility

-Lift the hatch, check the oil. Same as a coupe.

Have never had that problem.

Last edited:

Some, not all, issues:

6. no engine visibility.

I have none of these problems. The rear view mirror can operate with the camera. That fixes one of your problems. As for water accumulating!!! I have washed it often without the water staying put. I never had a car that I wanted to admire the engine. Anyway I love my HTC.

Reactions: butsy

Some, not all, issues:

6. no engine visibility.

One more thing, no wind noise, with top up.

Wow! Poor guy answers why he doesn’t like the HTC and everyone jumps down his throat as if you’re taking offense at his dislikes about his car! Not your car, his car! You love your HTC, that’s great! I love my coupe and Jack loves the attention! (Couldn’t leave you out of this, Jack!) Carbuff answered the OP’s original question

Reactions: 12cents and KTJF