One thing that is often missed in these discussions is the fact that wind noise and buffeting in coupe will be much worse.

I already drive with earplugs on the highway with my HTC top down because it’s just too loud. Would be much worse in a coupe.

It might not be the wind. Maybe your music sucks...

• Haha
Reactions: MKinOntario
Wow, three C8s. Any specific reason why you replaced? Based on wait times, it would be interesting to hear your timeline ie ordered 2021 before receiving 2020? ordered 2023 before receiving 2021?

I agree with you on which car looks better :)

I am also interested in your comment about sound level in the two cars as I have read some reviews that state the HTC is much quieter with top down as compared to coupe with top off.

As far as transparent top, if anyone is interested, make sure you order with the car. I purchased separate and was really expensive. Also I noticed I had to drop my A/C 2 degrees from 22 to 20 on sunny days.

As far as roof weight I pulled this from another forum (not verified):
15.5 lbs - Body Color Painted Top
14 lbs - Carbon Fiber Top
17 lbs - Transparent Top (shipping weight was 20 lbs but that included 9 page install manual)

First 2020 wasn't my order but a guy who decided not to take his upon delivery. So I drove it for over a year and 12,500kms and sold once my 21 order was accepted.

Drove the 21 for over a year and 15,500kms and sold when my 23 70th anniversary special edition went in.

Now with E-Ray coming out I'll be moving onto my 4th!!!

Transparent Roof must be experienced. Excuse my mug...

PXL_20230511_162259713.jpg

PXL_20230511_162323853.jpg

Reactions: gdb069 and 12cents
First 2020 wasn't my order but a guy who decided not to take his upon delivery. So I drove it for over a year and 12,500kms and sold once my 21 order was accepted.

Drove the 21 for over a year and 15,500kms and sold when my 23 70th anniversary special edition went in.

Now with E-Ray coming out I'll be moving onto my 4th!!!

Transparent Roof must be experienced. Excuse my mug...

View attachment 108944
View attachment 108945
Surprisingly I really like the transparent roof on mine. I have noticed it does heat up the cabin though on those 30+ degree days. Then I take it off.

When I ordered my 2020 coupe I was a healthy 49 years old and had no issues removing the top manually.

Skip to three years later and I have a herniated disk in my neck and I cant take the top off by myself anymore. One of my sons has to do it for me.

Put my deposit down for a convertible 15 months ago and still waiting for an allocation.

I wish I had ordered the HTC from the get go but its easy to say that now.

If you can afford the HTC you might as well get it. Just in case you get old and broken like me. lol
Same reasons here (more or less) for ordering the HTC. Not as young as I was when I had my first Vette 30 years ago, and luckily, can afford the extra pesos. 30 years later and 2 bad shoulders make many lift and carry functions, even simple ones, like the top to the brunk and back, less user friendly.
I like simple (and often am accused of being) and if I want the warmth and the sunshine, push the button, if it starts to rain, or gets too loud, or the seagulls are swarming overhead, push the button again.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaSmurf
What constraint prevented you from ordering?
Denis, my 2020 Coupe was 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride and Front Lift with transparent top, my 2023 HTC is 2LT non Z51, non mag ride but has front Lift. I was thinking of going back to Coupe 3LT, Z51, mag ride and lift and transparent top. I think gurface is correct, the HTC with the rear window down seems quieter when driving with the roof and windows down.
Z51 is at 60% today, the FA5 Carbon fiber interior package which I had in my coupe is 0 availability for the rest of the year. Q91 forged wheels are at 30% this week. Was going to order all 3 today. I have gone ahead and ordered a carbon fiber instrument panel surround today, as I can get the stealth interior to make up for the FA5 being done for the 2023 model year if that's the case. I have flung the transparent tops around over the past 35 years with ease and never lost one because I forgot to latch it down. Gdb is right though, the $1145 for the transparent top from the factory is about 1K less than buying it through parts and the price hasn't changed on it since 2020 just like mag ride is the same price at $2180.
I was planning on going back to the coupe for my Z06 whenever allocations come back which was zero again today. The other factor is as I have had my deposit in so long with an order number and bill of sale etc, this car should be luxury tax exempt. The savings on the luxury tax would cover more than half of the cost of going HCV.
This next car will be a trade for my Z06 to offset the taxes the next time. I spoke to Tracy and he seems to think the coupes are doing better for resale right now.
I thought I would throw this topic out there to see what others would do as I have a friend who thinks it's a big mistake going back to a coupe.

Denis, my 2020 Coupe was 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride and Front Lift with transparent top, my 2023 HTC is 2LT non Z51, non mag ride but has front Lift. I was thinking of going back to Coupe 3LT, Z51, mag ride and lift and transparent top. I think gurface is correct, the HTC with the rear window down seems quieter when driving with the roof and windows down.
Z51 is at 60% today, the FA5 Carbon fiber interior package which I had in my coupe is 0 availability for the rest of the year. Q91 forged wheels are at 30% this week. Was going to order all 3 today. I have gone ahead and ordered a carbon fiber instrument panel surround today, as I can get the stealth interior to make up for the FA5 being done for the 2023 model year if that's the case. I have flung the transparent tops around over the past 35 years with ease and never lost one because I forgot to latch it down. Gdb is right though, the $1145 for the transparent top from the factory is about 1K less than buying it through parts and the price hasn't changed on it since 2020 just like mag ride is the same price at $2180.
I was planning on going back to the coupe for my Z06 whenever allocations come back which was zero again today. The other factor is as I have had my deposit in so long with an order number and bill of sale etc, this car should be luxury tax exempt. The savings on the luxury tax would cover more than half of the cost of going HCV.
This next car will be a trade for my Z06 to offset the taxes the next time. I spoke to Tracy and he seems to think the coupes are doing better for resale right now.
I thought I would throw this topic out there to see what others would do as I have a friend who thinks it's a big mistake going back to a coupe.
I see, I wonder why coupes are doing better on resale of not the price alone

• Wow
Reactions: MKinOntario
For me, there are only 3 reasons to get a Coupe: seeing the engine while the car is parked is the most important thing to you. You'll never take the roof off, ever. Or the extra cost of the HTC puts it out of reach. Otherwise there are no downsides to the HTC. Rear visibility is better, you don't lose any trunk space when the top is stowed, and dropping the top takes less than 20 seconds, even while moving.

For me, there are only 3 reasons to get a Coupe: seeing the engine while the car is parked is the most important thing to you. You'll never take the roof off, ever. Or the extra cost of the HTC puts it out of reach. Otherwise there are no downsides to the HTC. Rear visibility is better, you don't lose any trunk space when the top is stowed, and dropping the top takes less than 20 seconds, even while moving.
Meyer, thanks for your input. I was hoping to hear from more people with this thread, but I guess not a lot of people have had both a C8 coupe and HTC for comparison.
I am pretty sure there is less buffeting with the HTC as you can put the rear window down to let the air escape. No one mentioned it, but the coupe also requires more time to clean
because no matter what you use, the engine gets wet and it shows the dust and dirt after each time you drive it. The HTC doesn't require cleaning unless you switch to the transparent
engine cover. The coupe with the transparent top feels more open than the HTC with the roof closed. Our pricing structure and now additional luxury taxes means that other one
province the cost of the HTC is now $12,200 more than the coupe. Overall the HTC is the better all round option I think, but I still really like the look of the coupe!!

My C8 coupe has very little buffeting. My C6 however felt like your eardrums were going to explode. This C8 with the top off is every bit as comfortable as my C7 convertible.

My C8 coupe has very little buffeting. My C6 however felt like your eardrums were going to explode. This C8 with the top off is every bit as comfortable as my C7 convertible.
Yes, that's the way I remember my coupe, but the HTC has no buffeting with the rear window lowered. I was on a cruise with Denis today and really like the look of the anniversary wheels that came on your car!

lol. I remember my C6. Top off, windows down on the highway was like a mini tornado in the cabin. Anything that wasn't weighted down flew around and often ended up on the highway....lol...

lol. I remember my C6. Top off, windows down on the highway was like a mini tornado in the cabin. Anything that wasn't weighted down flew around and often ended up on the highway....lol...
Lol. An empty coke can would levitate a couple of inches above the cup holder, until a blast grabbed it and it was donated to a local 4H club…

I agree with this sentiment however I think there is a fourth legitimate reason: if you value performance above everything else. The Coupe is ~100 lbs lighter which is a lot in the car world. Lower center of gravity, easier to reach engine bay, and its reflected in the 0.1 faster 0-60 times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.