The Michelins on our cars will crack some place below 0C. My local Chev garage had received a Corvette in February with four cracked tires and that is just from the normal vehicle transport and manipulation. Which is why GM will not deliver any Vettes out this way East of the Rockies before April. Don't know about BC but probably the same.
Bought 4 X 8 rubber cow mat and cut it up to put under each tyre. This absorbs some of the car weight and, if there is any moisture, keeps them dry. Would not jack the car as the suspension needs some weight on it to maintain its "balance".
There are all kinds of views on this. Rubber, Styro, etc. You can even buy some molded forms to put under the tyres to keep em round. No problems yet with her just sitting there in a slightly heated basement.

Does anyone store their Corvette outdoors, cover on with the battery maintainer plugged in? I have done that with other cars for winter storage in years gone by and have placed a 10 mil plastic sheet under the vehicle.

I'm too damn old to go to jail so that is out. Although Club Fed might permit my whisky and cigars. More curious than anything.
Not advice … just in my notes ….
I was curious when seeing 2 Dealerships in the past two Winters storing new Corvettes outside over the Winter. I asked about one Corvette that was under a cover and snow as I could not get close to it. Was told the battery was removed and temporary wheels with All Season rubber was put on. I won't be storing outside unless I absolutely have to. That's why I ask the Dealership when I see one outside. One thing I did hear rather consistently was to keep weight on the suspension and unless you have replaced rubber with a non-ZP All Season, get something between zero pressure rubber from directly contacting unheated concrete/ground. Trusting this indirectly relates with others saying to not drive on frozen rubber.
I see there is a Michelin A/S 3+ ZP now …. which is something I may consider when replacements are needed … guessing these will need to be isolated (as they are ZP).

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
OK, here's a chance for me to learn a bit more.

I've read all the threads on winter storage (I hope) There are some great tips I picked up. Here are my plans / questions

I'll put it away at the end of this month, oil has been changed and I'll check the tire pressure. What should I have the pressure at for winter storage? The max recommended for the tires?

I bought Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, not sure if I really need it but it was on sale.

I cleaned and protected the top with RaggTopp, also the weatherstripping with Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege (mouthful and a half)

I'll give the exterior and interior a good clean this weekend making sure everything is dry before putting it away.

I'm also going to get a CTEK 3300 3.3A battery charger.
CTEK Multi-use 3300 3.3A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire
Is this OK?

Also, I was thinking of starting the car about every two weeks, probably more for me than the car, let it run at a quick idle, if sunny put it in the driveway. Make sense or not?

I've read a lot of pros and cons about tires flat spotting, I thought this was only a problem with bias tires? If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

As I have used up my quota of questions for this week i'll just say "thank you" and be on my way.
I have been storing my 1990 ZR -1 for ten years now and once engine is shut off I never restart till spring. Restarting will cause moisture to build up and won't do the engine any good. Also leave car in Neutral with blocks behind the tires, which I keep at 40 PSI to make up for loss of air over the winter.

Reactions: L83
Anyone ever see one of these capsules in person or use one?
Kind of like the idea for a dust free storage as my cover is quite dusty in the spring. Although the car is dry as in YEG there is not a humidity issue with cold indoor storage.
Wondering if it is worth it...

Car Capsule 16' Long 68" High 78" Wide C1-C2 (ND) | Corvette Central
I’d have to see one of these as well in order to be convinced. Appeals like a bouncy castle fan running all the time ... Which might not be all that appealing.
Interesting gizmo ....
If it doesn’t turn out, I guess we just add styrofoam peanuts for the snow globe effect.

I’d have to see one of these as well in order to be convinced. Appeals like a bouncy castle fan running all the time ... Which might not be all that appealing.
Interesting gizmo ....
If it doesn’t turn out, I guess we just add styrofoam peanuts for the snow globe effect.

Ya the possibilities are numerous for the side uses on this thing. 😂

Rings somewhat of the hail protection bubble.... without the fan.. Kewl idea though for no heated garage storage

1539915615596.png

That thing looks like a caterpiller 😃

Down the street from us lives a guy from one of the chev dealerships. He has a newer dark blue z06 convertible and Isn’t exactly in love with his car. He parks it on the street year round. Seeing that car with 3 feet of snow on it was just sad. I don’t know if I feel worse for the car or the poor sucker that buys it in a year or so.

Down the street from us lives a guy from one of the chev dealerships. He has a newer dark blue z06 convertible and Isn’t exactly in love with his car. He parks it on the street year round. Seeing that car with 3 feet of snow on it was just sad. I don’t know if I feel worse for the car or the poor sucker that buys it in a year or so.

Should be a way to tag that car so the used sale price reflects the treatment it received. If he was driving it all winter like Flyboy that’s fine, but abandoned under a winter of snow and spray is pathetic.
Definitely would not want to buy a Corvette from this guy if he sells them. Too cheap to rent storage for it tends to make one think the maintenance is not that proactive either.
Amazing 😬

Reactions: YFCvii

It does ... or maybe the cocoon too. Wonder what will rise from the cocoon in good time?
Interesting gizmos that’s for sure.
Note to self, apply on Shark Tank for financial backing to market a quick release cocoon for Corvettes that can be pulled out and deployed if a storm is coming ....

It does ... or maybe the cocoon too. Wonder what will rise from the cocoon in good time?
Interesting gizmos that’s for sure.
Note to self, apply on Shark Tank for financial backing to market a quick release cocoon for Corvettes that can be pulled out and deployed if a storm is coming ....

An old c4 goes in and in a few months a beautiful c8 emerges 🦋

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.