yes, with the wife being off work for sometime now, the prices they are giving me are kind of high for us right now. most that i have back are around $350 a month.

The rented double garage I mentioned in your other thread I rent is $250/month Tommy.
If you don’t find a reasonably priced storage place or want to pay a bit less some folks are renting out a side of a garage. It’s not optimal but would get you through this winter.

D

I moved out of house in March and had to store our Vette for 3 months. I had heated and secured storage for $175/month.
Being an retired Firefighter I never feel comfortable leaving something plugged in for 5 months and walking away. I have stored my Corvettes for the past 7 years and only disconnect the battery (plus all the other winter storage items) and then in spring add the charger for a day before starting up. Never had an issue with the battery or memory in the computer.

Reactions: YFCvii
Keep checking. There are less expensive options. Check all the the ones online. Shortys storage is one example. 8x20 c can for $150 a month. Storage mart 52 st 17 ave have a 10x20 for 305 with 1st month free. I had a sentinal storage reserved near coventry hills for less than $100 but it was outside. It was in a paved lot near their office however. Might be an option for you. There are lots of outside storage for less than $100. Just get a good cover and check on it regularly.

Last edited:
After the discussions on battery tender malfunctions last fall, I have been experimenting with my C7 these last couple of trips away. First was 26 days in Costa Rica 8 months ago and then 38 days this summer for our cross Canada trailering excursion. No battery tender either time and Ginger turned over and lit up with no hesitation. Verdict is..... The C7 (or at least mine) does not have anywhere near the ghost power draw that my C6 had... whether parked in reverse with the E brake on or not. Not to say that I won't be using my battery tender this winter (at least while I am not away), but food for thought for the C7 owners who may have developed a nagging hesitation to trust their tender. JMO

Warm Garage perhaps ??? My maintainer need is for unheated storage and avoiding battery freeze replacement and removing batteries from a boat is enough of a fall/spring chore for me ... yyssw - I know "me, me, me" ... if only there was not just light on the 7th day but also heat :angelic:

Yes. Warm garage for the Vette Riley, but if your battery maintains a charge, freezing is not an issue. My hunting truck, lawn tractors, farm tractor, skidsteer, trailer, etc. all stay in unheated buildings and have never had a frozen battery and they seem to last just as long. If they lose charge though, that is a recipe for the battery to freeze and split... so I guess it's "better safe than sorry".... And the first thing I do in the spring is trickle charge all those batteries up to full before I use them.

I also have the 1.1 amp maintenance/charger to use when the car is not used for more than a week. I alternate using it on my 3 cars depending if they sit for more than 10 days. Battery drain is constant as the computer never shuts down completely. Also when you disconnect the battery during storage, the fobs aren't trying to communicate with the car.
Many have used charger/maintainers with success, but not for me. Only my view and I'm not trying to change anyone's minds. What ever option is used, make sure the connections are secure and the cords are not kinked or pinched.
Todays chargers are "smart" and work well. If the power is off and the charger is plugged in, it will create battery drain.

I also have the 1.1 amp maintenance/charger to use when the car is not used for more than a week. I alternate using it on my 3 cars depending if they sit for more than 10 days. Battery drain is constant as the computer never shuts down completely. Also when you disconnect the battery during storage, the fobs aren't trying to communicate with the car.
Many have used charger/maintainers with success, but not for me. Only my view and I'm not trying to change anyone's minds. What ever option is used, make sure the connections are secure and the cords are not kinked or pinched.
Todays chargers are "smart" and work well. If the power is off and the charger is plugged in, it will create battery drain.

Very good advice Dennis.
One main reason I keep mine on the maintainer rather than pulling the negative cable off the battery.... or removing is the security system in the car. Mine is parked remotely so I’m all set up for onstar alerts if the car is looked at hard.
The C7s ( I think all) have a very elaborate security system which includes inclination sensors and interior motion detectors, to name a couple of the features. Likely one of the reasons the insurance premiums are so reasonable for a car like this too.

The pulling of the battery cable definitely removes the risk of someone cloning your FOB if it’s in range of the “scumbag thief box” which seems to be the way to steal cars right out of the driveway nowadays. But if it’s in the garage not much chance that will work either unless you’re not home.

So my FOBs are miles away from my car which is plugged in and security armed.

Reactions: roti83 and YFCvii
One thing to remember if leaving the battery maintainer plugged in for the winter is the extension cords; avoid using them. If you are too far from a protected outlet, I would suggest moving the car closer and if that is not possible, use the shortest extension cord you can and make sure it is rated with enough amperage to carry the load. I have been in one too many homes where the fire was started by someone using small, cheap extension cords. Even the cheap power bars with the so-called breakers on them have caused fires with just a microwave plugged into them. My car is plugged in all winter without an extension cord and the maintainer is on a non-flammable surface. Even then it still makes me nervous and gives me an excuse to go out in the garage and whisper to my beauty that every day is a day closer. Take care, stay safe, pass it on.

Disclaimer: My discipline was not electrical (@turbozig can chime in anytime now..;)), but here's my 2 cents (or 2 amps) worth...

1.5 amp tender/maintainer charge rate with about 10% efficiency loss = 1.5 x .90 x 13.8 charging voltage = a providing electricity draw of about 18.63 watts (or about 0.17 amps). Unless your using an industrial battery charger and charging at an enormous rate, I wouldn't fret too much about using an extension cord across your garage for your battery tender. Across town? Yes... That's a different matter.

And to add to what Fred said, don't buy cheap, light extension cords for any use as sooner or later you will forget and try to plug in that space heater or microwave with it.
fire.jpg

I store my corvette in a unheated insulated garage (Pre-storage steps)
-change engine oil, air filter and check all fluids
-fill up fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer
-over inflate tires (40psi)
-hook up battery tender to keep battery fully charged
-wash and wax the exterior, also wipe down engine compartment with warm water
-apply a leather conditioner/cleaner to car's interior
-place bounce sheets in the engine compartment, cars interior and plug exhaust pipes (keeps mice away)
-park your expensive car on tire matts to insulate from cold cement garage floor
-cover your vehicle with a custom (indoor) car cover
Say good night 😓

Last edited:
Reactions: YFCvii
I store my corvette in a unheated insulated garage (Pre-storage steps)
-change engine oil and check all fluids
-fill up fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer
-over inflate tires (40psi)
-hook up battery tender to keep battery fully charged
-wash and wax the exterior, also wipe down engine compartment with warm water
-apply a leather conditioner/cleaner to car's interior
-place bounce sheets in the engine compartment, cars interior (on the floor) and plug exhaust pipes (keeps mice away)
-park your expensive car on tire matts to insulate from cold cement garage floor
-cover your vehicle with a custom (indoor) car cover
View attachment 22927
yup i do that except i didnt put the tire pressure up...Is that something to worry about

yup i do that except i didnt put the tire pressure up...Is that something to worry about

The theory of overinflating is to prevent flat spots on the tires. From what I read, these tires are not subject to flat spotting like the tires of the past. I park on rubber mats and haven't overinflated mine for a couple years and have had no problem with cracking or flat-spotting in the unheated garage. They go back to the right pressure as soon as it warms up. Then you know it's time to drive! :thumbs:

However, I seriously doubt there are any ill effects from overinflating to keep the tires rounder and the annoying OnStar messages from coming. It's a do what makes you comfortable thing.

perfect thanks.... I just bought one in Nov 2019 and its killing me i cant drive this beautiful piece of machine.... just counting down

Yup you are not alone my friend. Mine is actually parked away from my house so I can't even look at it daily. I am gone overseas to work for a month at a time, and the first thing on my priority list the day after I get home is to get over to the garage and check on the Corvette and Hummer. Can't say the Hummer gets much attention anymore....it's all going to the Corvette the last few years. :Biggrin:

Reactions: Hotrodron
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.