Yes. The Cadillac is gone. :angelic:
And the red Vette(2nd from far end) got replaced...
you two are hilarious ... I'm laughing-out-loud behind my shivering teeth
large.jpg
I see the color of the "keys" on the "Escalade Keyboard" got shuffled around too ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
OK, here's a chance for me to learn a bit more.

I've read all the threads on winter storage (I hope) There are some great tips I picked up. Here are my plans / questions

I'll put it away at the end of this month, oil has been changed and I'll check the tire pressure. What should I have the pressure at for winter storage? The max recommended for the tires?

I bought Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, not sure if I really need it but it was on sale.

I cleaned and protected the top with RaggTopp, also the weatherstripping with Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege (mouthful and a half)

I'll give the exterior and interior a good clean this weekend making sure everything is dry before putting it away.

I'm also going to get a CTEK 3300 3.3A battery charger.
CTEK Multi-use 3300 3.3A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire
Is this OK?

Also, I was thinking of starting the car about every two weeks, probably more for me than the car, let it run at a quick idle, if sunny put it in the driveway. Make sense or not?

I've read a lot of pros and cons about tires flat spotting, I thought this was only a problem with bias tires? If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

As I have used up my quota of questions for this week i'll just say "thank you" and be on my way.
My experience. I have had my C6 for 10 years always in a heated garage. I was like most people 2 or 3 week
vacation in winter months. At first I used a battery tender ( I hated that thing I had one get so hot I could not pick it up), tire pressure at 30 psi, usually around 1/4 to half a tank of fuel with fuel stabilizer as new fresh fuel in spring made more sense. Started it every 3-4 weeks. Washed it vacuum inside left major clean up until spring. Then we bought a place in Mexico where we were gone 6-7 months. Now I am thinking battery tender can not be trusted. I talked to Namala at Davenport in Calgary he says disconnect NEGATIVE cable and all will be good. Smart man that Namala
When spring arrived Hook up negative cable push start button maximum 3 revolutions car starts, don't loose any memory on radio mirrors or seats. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you would like more info.

My experience. I have had my C6 for 10 years always in a heated garage. I was like most people 2 or 3 week
vacation in winter months. At first I used a battery tender ( I hated that thing I had one get so hot I could not pick it up), tire pressure at 30 psi, usually around 1/4 to half a tank of fuel with fuel stabilizer as new fresh fuel in spring made more sense. Started it every 3-4 weeks. Washed it vacuum inside left major clean up until spring. Then we bought a place in Mexico where we were gone 6-7 months. Now I am thinking battery tender can not be trusted. I talked to Namala at Davenport in Calgary he says disconnect NEGATIVE cable and all will be good. Smart man that Namala
When spring arrived Hook up negative cable push start button maximum 3 revolutions car starts, don't loose any memory on radio mirrors or seats. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you would like more info.
Sorry forgot to mention no real issue with flat spotting tires.

Good post Wayne. Interesting that your battery tender got hot. That would not be ok for me either. I have a couple of the factory ones and they do not even get warm. Agreed on the disconnect of the battery for being gone that long. I would be leary of leaving it unchecked for that long. My C7 sits on the tender for one-month stretches all through the year. I have not had any issues as of yet.
Nice that you do not loose your memory settings. Do you have to re-index your windows?

Good post Wayne. Interesting that your battery tender got hot. That would not be ok for me either. I have a couple of the factory ones and they do not even get warm. Agreed on the disconnect of the battery for being gone that long. I would be leary of leaving it unchecked for that long. My C7 sits on the tender for one-month stretches all through the year. I have not had any issues as of yet.
Nice that you do not loose your memory settings. Do you have to re-index your windows?
Sorry yes windows need reset no biggy quick and easy. I think everyone has there own way of winter storage. My way works for my car and I am going to stick with easy any safe.

First time owning a car that has to be put away for winter. It'll be in a heater garage all winter long. Debating on changing the oil before storage. Or after? Take it account I'll be starting it up and letting it idle every few weeks also so it won't sit for too long of a time.
Thanks!

First time owning a car that has to be put away for winter. It'll be in a heater garage all winter long. Debating on changing the oil before storage. Or after? Take it account I'll be starting it up and letting it idle every few weeks also so it won't sit for too long of a time.
Thanks!

Some guys change the oil and others wait and give it fresh oil in the spring. Mines at 75% on the oil life meter so it went into hibernation with that oil. As far as starting it goes... there is another big debate Mitch. The debate was mostly centred on moisture in the exhaust system and possibly condensation in the engine. The exhaust system is stainless steel I think so that's not an issue. As far as the engine goes... maybe a case for that in a cold storage like my car sits in, but unlikely to be a problem in a heated garage. I can't see it doing any harm, especially in your heated garage. Back in the day all my vehicles sat outside all winter and got started daily. So not sure how much merit that argument has anyway. Although the front fenders on my car are worth more than many of those vehicles. :Biggrin: Frankly, if my car was allowed to spend the winter in our heated garage I would be listening to that sweet sound every now and then too.

Why do I live in Edmonton again...?
oh ya... love. :Banghead:

Reactions: YFCvii and Mitch10
Thanks!

I have had a variety of vintage British cars, 1957, 1973, 1979 that were stored for the winter months in a cold garage. The advice of the "gurus" was always to change the oil before storage unless it was very recently changed. Apparently, as oil ages and is used to lubricate the engine it becomes acidic from combustion gas exposure - how much of that in a Vette with a tight combustion chamber?? The oil does get quite dirty so I have to assume there is some contamination. Letting the crank sit in acidic oil will result in pitting of the surfaces. However Z51, LT4 and LT5 engines are all dry sump. I have not found any position from GM and asked my dealer but two Corvette service guys had different recommendations.
Starting and idling every few weeks would concern me for the reasons Derek mentions. As has been the practice for the vintage cars, I will let my baby sleep for 5 months (oh the pain and anxiety of the wait) and then take it out for a gentle 1 hour run. The gentle run will require extreme self discipline - more pain. :inpain: And then .... joy will be back :joyful::joyful:. I had a local guy tell me that he stores his C6 on the driveway under a car blanket with the battery tender plugged in all winter and has never had an issue. So it really is a matter of personal choice and information available on this great forum.

My collector cars are on battery tender all year long and the batteries stay in the cars. The battery in my Triumph Spitfire is now 16 years old, but I think it is on its last legs. The one in my AMX is now 7 1/2 years old and still excellent. The Corvette battery is only about 4 years old. Unheated garage BTW.
I have never heard an expert who has advocated starting a car and idling it for a while every few weeks during the winter. If a car is started occasionaly in the Winter, it should apparently be taken for a good run (I might assume an hour or more).

And that’s what this annual thread is all about. Getting and giving good ideas to improve the storage scenario. 👍
Or just seeing what others do to be comfortable storing these awesome cars.

Reactions: YFCvii
Wash, clean, tire pressure check. Stabil in the tank with usually a 1/2 tank (fill with fresh gas in spring) and disconnect the negative post and never worry. I use my smart charger when my car sits for over a week at a time, but in winter storage I don't like anything electrical plugged for long periods of time. I have stored my cars for months at a time and only disconnect the battery and never an issue. Reconnect and no memory issues with the car. With the tires at 5 pounds over I park the car on pieces of carpet and never have a problem with flat spots. I also keep the garage at a minimum of 8c.
All good.

Well... there are as many storage procedures as Corvette owners. 🤓 Also I have been told that Michelin Corvette tires should not get much below 0 Celsius as they may get damage. So if you store your Corvette outside or in a non heated garage it could be a problem. Rumor or truth?
Also I was thinking about putting the car on blocks to remove the load on the suspension element. This will also prevent flat on tire. Good or bad idea?

I
Well... there are as many storage procedures as Corvette owners. 🤓 Also I have been told that Michelin Corvette tires should not get much below 0 Celsius as they may get damage. So if you store your Corvette outside or in a non heated garage it could be a problem. Rumor or truth?
Also I was thinking about putting the car on blocks to remove the load on the suspension element. This will also prevent flat on tire. Good or bad idea?
It is not advised to have the car on blocks for storage as the suspension is not designed to have negative stress for an extended period of time. Some will drive up onto Styrofoam to insulate and cushion the tires.

• Agree
Reactions: Pep and ddgermann

Yes the ZP Michellins cannot be moved if temps are down around 0 or below. They will crack. Its ok to store the car in unheated locations. Just don't move the car until the tires warm naturally. This has been my experience with a cracked set and a set that has sat through the winter in an unheated garage with no problems. And yes also most put these Pilot tires on rubber or styrofoam at a few PSI overpressure when storing over the winter, especially in unheated places.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.