Sep 29, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
I have a 1976 Stingray. The carburetor was rebuilt. Now the car does not run unless I pour some gas in the top of carburetor until the car warms up and then it runs fine. What would the problem be with the carburetor settings?

I have a 1976 Stingray. The carburetor was rebuilt. Now the car does not run unless I pour some gas in the top of carburetor until the car warms up and then it runs fine. What would the problem be with the carburetor settings?

Hmmm as Graham said it could be many things. Sounds like it's needing a prime to kick it off. Could be anything from a bad mechancal pump to a incorrectly assembled accelerator pump to a choke or other linkage not set right.

I bet you would get lots more feedback by introducing yourself in the new member thread and posting some pics of your 76 and carburetor.

Good luck and welcome to CCF. :canada:
Derek.

Evander...
Welcome to the forums..
Tell us a bit more about you and your ride.
We cam help you thru this.

Graham

I bought my ‘76 6 years ago as a second restore. My first was an 82 Camara which I still have. Always been interested in a Vette restore because they seem fun to work on. Getting closer to retirement and looking ahead for something to do.

It runs awesome when warmed up put need to put fuel in the carb to get to that stage. Thinking of doing the carb rebuild myself.

Is this a good idea...or not worth the time.

Hmmm as Graham said it could be many things. Sounds like it's needing a prime to kick it off. Could be anything from a bad mechancal pump to a incorrectly assembled accelerator pump to a choke or other linkage not set right.

I bet you would get lots more feedback by introducing yourself in the new member thread and posting some pics of your 76 and carburetor.

Good luck and welcome to CCF. :canada:
Derek.

Thanks. I will do that.

Ed

My votes are a bad accelerator pump, old style not designed for ethenol
Leaking well plugs in carb body
Defective or incorrectly set choke or linkage

I had the Carburetor doctor rebuild mine. He has been restoring these as long as I remember. His specialty is Rochester Quads's. Every last piece is gone thru in detail, replated, replaced or rebuilt. He has a website online, and is located in Camrose, Alberta. Well worth the money and will be good for many years after that with no leaks and great performance once again! Feel free to use my name for a reference. I have known Rusty for about 25 years, a master craftsman, and takes pride in his work.

Reactions: gdh and ddgermann
Are you saying you have to pour fuel in the carb just to get it started or to keep it running? You don't say whether or not you experience this issue on all cold starts or only after the car has been sitting for few days. I assume warm starts are not a problem. It sounds as if the bowl may draining as the car sits. With the engine cold and before attempting to start take off the air cleaner and look into the carb and open the throttle wide. You should see fuel squirt into the primary barrels. If you don't the bowl has drained and you need to find the cause. If once the car has started it continues to run but runs poorly until warm check your choke to be sure it's operating, (should be closed when the engine is cold and fully open when warm). If it's operating then work with your choke adjustment moving about one notch at a time (likely in a counterclockwise direction to keep the choke on longer) until you get satisfactory performance during warm up. Just a couple thoughts, hope it helps.

IMG_00000029.jpg
IMG_00000232.jpg
Carbs can be frustrating to rebuild..... but certainly not impossible.
I'm not a real mechanic but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once!

You are correct about diagrams available..take lots of pictures as you go.
The only issue would be rebushing of the shafts to stop air leakage, and possibly some machining.
There are lots of kits out there and probably many you-tube vids.
I rebuilt my first Holley a few years ago.. I took it step-by-step with help from the interweb.
I built a stand before I started, to hold the carb body and parts as I disassembled the unit.
When I refired the car it started and ran great... only needed minor tuning.

I think you should be looking at the choke assembly and possibly the accelerator pump functions.

Good luck.

Graham

Last edited:
My votes are a bad accelerator pump, old style not designed for ethenol
Leaking well plugs in carb body
Defective or incorrectly set choke or linkage

I had the Carburetor doctor rebuild mine. He has been restoring these as long as I remember. His specialty is Rochester Quads's. Every last piece is gone thru in detail, replated, replaced or rebuilt. He has a website online, and is located in Camrose, Alberta. Well worth the money and will be good for many years after that with no leaks and great performance once again! Feel free to use my name for a reference. I have known Rusty for about 25 years, a master craftsman, and takes pride in his work.

Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 11920 View attachment 11921 Carb rebuilds can be frustrating to rebuild..... but certainly not impossible.
I'm not a real machanic but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once!

You are correct about diagrams available..take lots of pictures as you go.
The only issue would be rebushing of the shafts to stop air leakage, and possibly some machining.
There are lots of kits out there and probably many you-tube vids.
I rebuilt my first Holley a few years ago.. I took it step-by-step with help from the interweb.
I built a stand before I started, to hold the carb body and parts as I disassembled the unit.
When I refired the car it started and ran great... only needed minor tuning.

I think you should be looking at the choke assembly and possibly the accelerator pump functions.

Good luck.

Graham

Thanks Graham,

I will focus on the choke first. It runs fine once the car gets warmed up.

Ed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.