Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Red Mist HTC
Province
ON
So what is the best place to Gas up is Shell Premium the best Is it better han PetroCan and Esso Which brands should be avoided and is 10% ethanol or less acceptable

I don't have a clue and honestly not sure there is a difference anymore. My local Coop still carries ethanol free premium but once that disappears I am likely to go back to Shell 94 or Petrocan 94. I think as long as you stay with a “top tier” fuel you should be ok.

Ya, like @Cariboocreek said. Top tier fuels have cleaning agents etc. in their fuels. Cheap fuel doesn't typically. Ethanol appears to be in all fuels now regardless of the current laws. Modern cars can run fine on it. What you have to be leary of is putting the crap in your lawn mower, garden tractor, snow blower, whipper snipper etc. You need to clean them regularly with Seafoam or the ilk.

Reactions: Riley P
Ya, like @Cariboocreek said. Top tier fuels have cleaning agents etc. in their fuels. Cheap fuel doesn't typically. Ethanol appears to be in all fuels now regardless of the current laws. Modern cars can run fine on it. What you have to be leary of is putting the crap in your lawn mower, garden tractor, snow blower, whipper snipper etc. You need to clean them regularly with Seafoam or the ilk.
I see in the Owners manual for the C8 calls out for 91 octane, and my 2019 manual calls out for 93?? So it looks like I don't need 94 octane in the C8?? surprised the C8 is different than the C7?

I see in the Owners manual for the C8 calls out for 91 octane, and my 2019 manual calls out for 93?? So it looks like I don't need 94 octane in the C8?? surprised the C8 is different than the C7?
Any modern engine will adjust for octane, including your 2019. For performance, the higher the octane the better. Modern engines will pull timing out if the octane is lower.
Edit: Octane is to prevent engine knocking. Hence timing being pulled out.

Reactions: butsy
So, if given the choice, which would you choose; 94 octane but with 10% ethanol or 91 octane and no ethanol?
If it was me, I'd go for the octane. Ethanol burns hotter if I recall correctly, but also quicker. I'm not a fuel expert so I can't tell you the full story, but I'd want the octane for better performance. The carb is the main cause of failure caused by ethanol because of the rubbers required for various carb parts. No carbs any more so not as much worry about ethanol in cars.
Anyway, I doubt you will find fuel without ethanol now.

I too noticed that change. The early C7s only recommended 91. Not sure when they changed from 91 to 93 but my 2019 didn't particularly like 91 especially when I was not paying attention and allowed the engine to lug down (M7 transmission). The C8 on the other hand seems very happy with the 91. I might consider 93 on a track day but not sure. Putting higher octane in an engine built for lower will not improve performance.

Reactions: butsy
Just filled up today with regular in my daily driver and took this photo at our Canadian Tire gas bar. I spoke with the manager and he stated that premium was still ethanol free due to the fact that they get their gas locally, something about retooling and the likelihood that the summer would see ethanol in their premium gas………then he was negatively bashing Trudeau for this, saying he needs to go…ha ha

If this is truly to promote “Green”, given the fact that premium sales represent 6-15% of total gas sales nationally, as well as considering repercussions to small engines using ethanol, was this really thought through thoroughly………I don’t think so!

Attachments

• 11C04587-DA3B-4D8B-A8DF-3DBCE37B47AD.jpeg
    11C04587-DA3B-4D8B-A8DF-3DBCE37B47AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Just filled up today with regular in my daily driver and took this photo at our Canadian Tire gas bar. I spoke with the manager and he stated that premium was still ethanol free due to the fact that they get their gas locally, something about retooling and the likelihood that the summer would see ethanol in their premium gas………then he was negatively bashing Trudeau for this, saying he needs to go…ha ha

If this is truly to promote “Green”, given the fact that premium sales represent 6-15% of total gas sales nationally, as well as considering repercussions to small engines using ethanol, was this really thought through thoroughly………I don’t think so!
It won't make a huge difference, no, but every little bit helps with climate change. Things are fastly coming to the point of no return.

Top Tier gasoline stations for Canada can be found here:

However using this "tool/guide" gets you the following:

Breakaway
Chevron
Co-op
Costco Wholesale
Kirkland Signature Gasoline
Shell
Simply Gas
Tempo
Texaco

It's a much smaller list, since it no longer has (for example) Esso or others that used to be on the list. Some cynics say there are other "top tier" gas stations that sell gas with additives, but they refuse to pay the price to receive the "top tier" designation. Other cynics say this designation is meaningless or it's certainly not worth the extra price charged for gas.

Finally, here's a 2022 article for those interested, where Consumer Reports say buying top tier gas, is worthwhile:

I tend to buy at Costco, since it's the least expensive gas for my area and retains a top tier rating. Up to each person to decide...

It won't make a huge difference, no, but every little bit helps with climate change. Things are fastly coming to the point of no return.
I read an environmental article on MSN the other day…….it stated every time Canada does a positive “Green” initiative, China starts another coal burning or “like” polluter……….so sorry but your not going to fool me with government propaganda …..only when the “whole” world adopts green initiatives, and only then will there be an improvement to our environment …….

Last edited:
I read an environmental article on MSN the other day…….it stated every time Canada does a positive “Green” initiative, China starts another coal burning or “like” polluter……….so sorry but your not going to fool me with government propaganda …..only when the “whole” world adopts green initiates, and only then will there be an improvement to our environment …….
It's not propaganda! The earth is not flat! Canada along with many many other countries agreed to reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses produced.
It is charted and documented. Yes, China is one of the largest, if not THE largest polluters. But don't for a minute think that there is no climate change initiatives.

Canada's contribution to global green house gas emissions equates to roughly 1.5%. This country and everyone in it (including all the eco Marxists running this country) could fall off the face of the planet and the global environment wouldn't even know we were missing. But hey, if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that you're doing something (which is basically nothing), then all the power to ya.

Canada's contribution to global green house gas emissions equates to roughly 1.5%. This country and everyone in it (including all the eco Marxists running this country) could fall off the face of the planet and the global environment wouldn't even know we were missing. But hey, if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that you're doing something (which is basically nothing), then all the power to ya.
I'm glad you care so much for your children and grandchildren. It's a pity there is so much indifference in some. EVERY little bit helps!

Reactions: DavidWG
So what is the best place to Gas up is Shell Premium the best Is it better han PetroCan and Esso Which brands should be avoided and is 10% ethanol or less acceptable
I prefer Shell simply because I save 3cents per litre with CAA and get AirMiles. I use 91 octane because that’s the recommendation, so why spend more for 94? I think all gas has Ethanol, like others have said, so it’s not worth discussing except to start complaining about Trudeau which seems to be a favourite activity of some members. I drive the car about 6000kms per year, so don’t really think any great thought into gas is needed, except to put fuel stabilizer when storing (though that in itself is controversial on this forum!)

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
I'm glad you care so much for your children and grandchildren. It's a pity there is so much indifference in some. EVERY little bit helps!
Nowhere did mine or Sturmgewehrs comments indicate that we don’t care about the environment or that we indicated we don’t care about the world environment for future generations…….what was stated that regardless of what Canada does, regardless of the bull s**t our government spouts, unless you have the whole global industrialized world committed to reducing their carbon footprint, one cannot expect a positive result unless they also are of the belief that the earth is “flat”.

China accounts for 31% of the world’s pollution, followed by the United States and India. The top five polluting countries account for over 60% of the worlds pollution (green house gases) .

What I was trying to state is that what ever we do will have zero effect unless those countries adopt stringent controls. Since China still revolves around coal burning for energy unless they change, what impact do you think Canadas green approach will achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.