Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
I finally got around to upgrading the stereo. I decided to do a budget build since I just wanted it better than the Bose which practically any option would be, and I also wanted an OEM or OEM plus look, so no amp racks sticking out. I tried to get some pictures but forgot a few steps along the way and it's also hard to get pictures in my car port depending on the position of the sun.

I retained the factory head unit since I already have an iSimple Bluetooth/aux module, upgraded the front speakers to components, added a small sub (in progress, see below) and power everything with a 4 channel amp with 2 of the channels bridged for the sub. If I were starting from scratch with a stock head unit, I'd probably replace it with an Android head unit, but I have the nav, 2016 disc which is still useable where I go, and it's fun having the nav in the HUD.

For the component speakers I had been looking at Hertz Dieci DSK165.3, JL Audio C1-650, or Alpine SS5C components, but I didn't like that the Hertz use paper cones, people complain the tweeters are harsh, and the JLs and the Alpines don't go on sale very often. Needing speaker adapters for the doors, Crutchfield was a good choice because they include free install gear, I went with their house brand Sound Ordinance P-67CB. They are allegedly made by the same manufacturer as Rockford Fosgate which is worth whatever you think it is. The reviews are fantastic, especially for the price at $97 which is great, and being this is a budget build I'm not being a brand snob. They seem well made with poly cones, silk dome tweeters, and separate cross over with a 3dB limiter for the tweeter. Crutchfield recommends the 6.5", they say the 6.7" won't fit the doors, but according to the measurements it seemed okay, and there turned out to be lots of clearance.

For the amp I chose the Kenwood KAC-D-3104, 50 watts x 4 RMS which is perfect for the components, 150 watts RMS bridged which should be suitable for a small sub, and it fits in the passenger footwell.

The factory head unit outputs line level and flat frequency to the Bose amp, so you can tap the line level for an aftermarket amp. The best way to do this and not cut the wiring harness is to modify a PAC Audio AOEM-GM24 line level converter, using just the harness and adding RCAs to the line out wires. PAC used to sell just the harness separately but it's been discontinued. The line level converter adds unwanted frequency variances so it's best to remove it.

PAC Audio AOEM-GM24.
1689217116003.png

Modified with RCAs. The factory remote turn on wire is in this harness on position B3, so I tapped it for the amp and it turns on just like the Bose when the doors are opened.
1689217281314.png

Power wire. The positive terminal on the fuse box worked better than the battery terminal.
1689217380170.png

Power wire through gromet in firewall.
1689217443662.png

Power wire in passenger side footwell. For ground I used a ground terminal in the footwell beside the side kick plate.
1689217498949.png

Getting amp read to go in the passenger footwell.
1689217549958.png

Mounting tweeter to door panel. I made a mounting plate out of a dense piece of foam, surface mounted the tweeter to it, and then mounted the foam to the door panel.
1689217684445.png

Removing the Bose woofers, wiring the doors, and mounting the cross overs. I mounted the cross overs inside the door since it was hard to find a space on the door or the door panel. I used 16/2 CL2 copper wire from a previous project. It was pretty easy to snake the wire through the door conduits.
1689217830675.png

Amp in place (sort of) using a combination of factory screw holes and a velcro strap since I've had it in and out to tune. It works really well so I may stay with it. Left, right, and sub wires, along with front and rear RCA inputs, power, ground, and remote turn on.
1689615974957.png

With the footwell closed you can barely tell.
1689218222522.png

Subwoofer wire run into the cargo area, some 14/2 CL2 I had left over from a project. I don't have a sub picked out yet so this is still in progress.
1689218123720.png

Tweeter. With the mounting plate at the same angle the Bose twiddlers were, the tweeter points slightly towards the passengers which looks like a good angle to me. I'm running the tweeter with the limiter off and the sound great.
1689218249884.png

Woofer. I screwed the woofer to the adapter plate with speaker mounting foam in between, screwed the mounting plate to the door with 2 sided window sealing tape, and then cut some foam strips and attached it around the edge of the mounting plate to seal against the door panel and direct the sound in.
1689218280215.png

Because it's a Chev!
1689218632119.png

The stereo works the same as stock, with the amp powering on when the door is opened and the chimes working through the driver side speaker. The audio is very clean with no alternator whine or other noise. The sound quality is significantly better, even the door chime sounds better! The mids and highs are way clearer (of course, real tweeters, no twidder nonsense!), the bass is cleaner, louder, deeper and there is less rattle from the doors. With the bass as is, I could leave it and not have a sub and be happy, but I'll likely still add a sub at some point since the amp and wiring are ready to go. I would recommend the Sound Ordinance components if you don't mind not having brand name, as they probably play like a $200-$300 speaker.

Attachments

• 1689217966660.png
    1689217966660.png
    574.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I finally got around to upgrading the stereo. I decided to do a budget build since I just wanted it better than the Bose which practically any option would be, and I also wanted an OEM or OEM plus look, so no amp racks sticking out. I tried to get some pictures but forgot a few steps along the way and it's also hard to get pictures in my car port depending on the position of the sun.

I retained the factory head unit since I already have a Bluetooth/aux module, upgraded the front speakers to components, added a small sub (in progress, see below) and power everything with a 4 channel amp with 2 of the channels bridged for the sub. If I were starting from scratch with a stock head unit, I'd probably replace it with an Android head unit, but I have the Nav, 2016 disc which is still useable where I go, and it's fun having the nav in the HUD.

For the component speakers I had been looking at Hertz Dieci DSK165.3, JL Audio C1-650, or Alpine SS5C components, but I didn't like that the Hertz use paper cones, people complain the tweeters are harsh, and the JLs and the Alpines don't go on sale very often. Needing speaker adapters for the doors, Crutchfield was a good choice because they include free install gear, I went with their house brand Sound Ordinance P-67CB. They are allegedly made by the same manufacturer as Rockford Fosgate which is worth whatever you think it is. The reviews are fantastic, especially for the price at $97 which is great, and being this is a budget build I'm not being a brand snob. They seem well made with poly cones, silk dome tweeters, and separate cross over with a 3dB limiter for the tweeter. Crutchfield recommends the 6.5", they say the 6.7" won't fit the doors, but according to the measurements it seemed okay, and there turned out to be lots of clearance.

For the amp I chose the Kenwood KAC-D-3104, 50 watts x 4 RMS which is perfect for the components, 150 watts RMS bridged which should be suitable for a small sub, and it fits in the passenger footwell.

The factory head unit outputs line level and flat frequency to the Bose amp, so you can tap the line level for an aftermarket amp. The best way to do this is to modify a PAC Audio AOEM-GM24 line level converter, using just the harness and adding RCAs. PAC used to sell just the harness separately but it's been discontinued. The line level converter adds unwanted frequency variances so it's best to remove it.

PAC Audio AOEM-GM24.
View attachment 111849

Modified with RCAs. The factory remote turn on wire is in this harness, so I tapped it for the amp.
View attachment 111850
Power wire. The positive terminal on the fuse box worked better than the battery terminal.
View attachment 111851

View attachment 111852
Power wire in passenger side footwell. For ground I used a ground terminal in the footwell beside the side kick plate.
View attachment 111853

View attachment 111854

Mounting tweeter to door panel. I made a mounting plate out of a dense piece of foam, surface mounted the tweeter to it, and then mounted the foam to the door panel.
View attachment 111855
Removing the Bose woofers, wiring the doors, and mounting the cross overs. I mounted the cross overs inside the door since it was hard to find a space on the door or the door panel. I used 16/2 CL2 copper wire from a previous project. It was pretty easy to snake the wire through the door conduits. View attachment 111856

Amp in place (sort of) using a combination of factory screw holes and a velcro strap since I've had it in and out to tune. It works really well so I may stay with it. Left, right, and sub wires, along with front and rear RCA inputs, power, ground, and remote turn on.
View attachment 111857
View attachment 111859
Subwoofer wire run into the cargo area, some 14/2 CL2 I had left over from a project. I don't have a sub picked out yet so this is still in progress.
View attachment 111858
Tweeter. With the mounting plate at the same angle the Bose twiddlers were, the tweeter points slightly towards the passengers which looks like a good angle to me. I'm running the tweeter with the limiter off and the sound great.
View attachment 111860
Woofer. I screwed the woofer to the adapter plate with speaker mounting foam in between, screwed the mounting plate to the door with 2 sided window sealing tape, and then cut some foam strips and attached it around the edge of the mounting plate to seal against the door panel and direct the sound in.
View attachment 111861
Because it's a Chev!
View attachment 111862

The stereo works the same as stock, with the amp powering on when the door is opened and the chimes working through the driver side speaker. The audio is very clean with no alternator whine or other noise. The sound quality is significantly better, even the door chime sounds better! The mids and highs are way clearer (of course, real tweeters, no twidder nonsense!), the bass is cleaner, louder, deeper and there is less rattle from the doors. With the bass as is, I could leave it and not have a sub and be happy, but I'll likely still add a sub at some point since the amp and wiring are ready to go. I would recommend the Sound Ordinance components if you don't mind not having brand name, as they probably play like a $200-$300 speaker.
Absolutely WOW!!! Thanks for sharing, Ive been wanting to see a setup like this FOREVER! Completely stock and fantastic sound! Best of both worlds in my opinion, thanks for sharing

I retained the factory head unit since I already have a Bluetooth/aux module, upgraded the front speakers to components, added a small sub (in progress, see below) and power everything with a 4 channel amp with 2 of the channels bridged for the sub. If I were starting from scratch with a stock head unit, I'd probably replace it with an Android head unit, but I have the Nav, 2016 disc which is still useable where I go, and it's fun having the nav in the HUD.

The factory head unit outputs line level and flat frequency to the Bose amp, so you can tap the line level for an aftermarket amp. The best way to do this is to modify a PAC Audio AOEM-GM24 line level converter, using just the harness and adding RCAs. PAC used to sell just the harness separately but it's been discontinued. The line level converter adds unwanted frequency variances so it's best to remove it.

PAC Audio AOEM-GM24.
View attachment 111849

Modified with RCAs. The factory remote turn on wire is in this harness, so I tapped it for the amp.
View attachment 111850
View attachment 111851

View attachment 111852
View attachment 111853

View attachment 111854

View attachment 111855
Removing the Bose woofers, wiring the doors, and mounting the cross overs. I mounted the cross overs inside the door since it was hard to find a space on the door or the door panel. I used 16/2 CL2 copper wire from a previous project. It was pretty easy to snake the wire through the door conduits. View attachment 111856

View attachment 111857
View attachment 111859
View attachment 111858
View attachment 111860
View attachment 111861
Because it's a Chev!
View attachment 111862

Thanks for sharing Creedence85! Just WOW!! I love that you kept the stock look and improved it to sound, which I'm sure must be, AMAZING!! Great build sir, kudos to your efforts! If I was close to Richmond, I'd come to visit! I've been waiting a long time for someone to show a build like this!!

Reactions: Creedence85
Subwoofer update, I ordered a Pyle PSBS10 off the jungle website. I like the low profile when laying down so it will fit in the back very well without taking up too much space or sticking out.
1690828299214.png

It was an Amazon Warehouse Deals open box in "very good" condition for $70 which fit with my budget theme. I've purchased a few used warehouse deals items which have been great. but turns out the speaker is blown which is disappointing, as makes a scratchy sound and I can hear and feel crunch when pushing the cone, so I have returned it. It's now on sale new for $100 down from $120, so I have ordered a new one. At $100 it's worth it for the box as it's insulated inside, has biding posts, and it carpeted. I will update once the new one arrives. At $115 with tax for the new one, the whole build is at $524.

Update: the new sub arrived and it sounds great. It has more bass then the JL Audio 10WXv2 10" I have in the rain car which probably comes down to the box since it's small, but still, impressive for Walmart grade gear.

10" sub in the rain car.
I tried both corner mounting it like before and centre mounting it. I prefer the centre mount for symetry but the corner mount might be better for maximizing cargo space. I tucked the wire behind the left sail panel and under the carpet, and I attahed velcro to the bottom side of the sub box to grip the carpet. This isn't the most secure mounting solution but

Pulling out the amp to adjust the crossovers. I set the gain and the crossover by ear, which ended up with the HPF on the components at 80 Hz and the LPF on the sub at 80 Hz. It was nice to just sit in the passenger seat and tune and adjust the amp as my other builds have had the amps in the trunk, so I have to reach into the trunk from outside the car, make a small adjustment, get into the car, listen, and repeat.

1691708725060.png

1691708351004.png

1691708364627.png

It's visible through the rear window which I'm not a fan of, but I don't want it to be in the way of cargo. I could move it to the back where it would be covered by the cargo cover and should be low enough for the roof to still be mounted, but that's more in the way.
1691708600014.png

Sub in the G35 rain car.
1691709890601.png

Test fitting with grill.
1691710542049.png

1691710567216.png

Videos of cone movement.

Attachments

• 1691709854118.png
    1691709854118.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread