hi guys looking at buying a 1996 c4 lt1 or 2004 both are mint both convertibles which one to thanks

lol...the age old question... which Corvette to buy... My opinion, for what it's worth is based only on my gut as my first Corvette was a C6.

Every generation of Corvette was an improvement over the previous. Nothing wrong with the C4, but if you can afford and aren't in love with the C4 style, the C5 did see very significant advances. Some of the major ones were the hydroformed box frame, the rear mounted trans axle assembly and the LS1 engine. Depending on which engine in the C4, the LS1 was a big jump in horsepower from the LT1 in the C4 and some improvement in fuel mileage, especially Hwy driving. The C5's hydroformed box frame was a big structural improvement over the C4 which was notorious for it's squeaks and rattles. The C5 structural platform was especially an improvement in that way for the convertible. The rear transaxle assembly allowed the Corvette to attain a true 50/50 weight distribution as well. The C5 will also give you a smoother ride and little better handling characteristics.

I expect there will be replies from the C4 guys out there as well and as I said, the C4 was a ground breaker in it's time as well, and any Corvette is a great car... but if the choice were mine, between the two, it would be the C5. For the improvements noted above, and I just like the body styling of the C5 better. Last, but not least, other than the C4 ZR1, the C5 will hold it's value better. Again.... JMO

hi guys looking at buying a 1996 c4 lt1 or 2004 both are mint both convertibles which one to thanks
I've gone from a C3 to C5 and now a C7. A buddy of mine has had a C4 for many years. The C5 was a major improvement in many ways from the C4...I think the C6 was a bit less revolutionary moving from the C5. I just sold my C5 after enjoying it for 15 years (bought it at age 6), and other than the fact that I've lusted after a C7 from the day they released it, I could've easily kept it for many more years. Good luck on whatever you choose!

I have owned both ( '87 C4 and '03 C5 both convertibles ) . Just traded my C6 Grand Sport for a C8 that is on order. My choice would definitely be the C5 for better ride handling and performance. Probably the best touring model. Cheers

Reactions: ddgermann
I owned a 1996 Collectors Edition convertible and a 2003 speedway white convertible. The year 2003 C5 was the year they made some tweaks to the car and it is the one to own - incl. 2004. The C5 was a big improvement over the C4: see RruffDay explanation so I do not have to repeat. The C5 has a tighter fit, better design IMHO, better handling - that would be my choice having owned both for what it is worth.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.