Keep your fingers crossed re Ponoka Riley.

Have to now pull the hood and radiator off the sprayer to remove the fuel pump. That ought to be some exercise. Cousin John probably knows how to do it with his eyes closed and there is a rebuilt pump in Dawson Creek so as long as that is the case it should not be a total disaster.

On the plus side got the rest of my grain hauled in today, we'll do Dad's tomorrow. The temperature here is OK, +12, that sort of thing but it has been four days now of winds steady at 40 km and apparently rising to 50 km tomorrow and that gets exhausting to be outside working on for so many consecutive days...................

Cheers,

Garry

Actually three days of working in 40 km winds, chaff and dust seeming to swirl and find it's way inside my clothes is about my limit. I'm even tired right now thinking about being outside there again. Wind is always my least favorite environmental condition and when it is for consecutive days it just makes whatever job you're doing more tiring. But while my grain was bagged and so we used the vac to load it which does require a physical effort, Dad's grain is in some hopper bins so it will be easier to load. We are also borrowing my uncle's self propelled auger which is sort of funky and even my gf got to move it and likes it a lot. Myself I'm just not that lazy yet to dump that sort of cash for a toy like that just yet in my life.

Got a confirmation that cousin John is going to be coming over to challenge the injection pump removal this morning too so I am curious to see how that will go.

Someone was seeding peas south of here about 4 or 5 miles yesterday so I hope to get started myself soon, goal to be done by the 14th, right?!

Cheers,

Garry

I would say, the goal is the 12th so you have 2 days of fun anticipation! :D
Glad to hear you're going to get help with the pump! I had some mechanical issues with my Corvette this Spring as well. I noticed the fog lights (Or are they now called Driving Lights???) wouldn't turn on. The first order of business was to find the mechanism to gain access under the hood. After some investigation I had to move to the other side of the car and located the compartment where the electrical fuses are mounted. After undoing all the hardware to get into the compartment, on the lid, there were schematics showing which electrical circuits to diagnose. Getting the required tools, I removed the offending fuse, I indeed found it to now be nonfunctional. I was off to find replacement parts and found I had one on hand. Replacing the defunct part with the new one resulted in satisfactory results of the lights now working.
Ok, ok, so not nearly as involved as the investigations you did, I tried to milk the story for all it's worth. I hope your pump replacement goes as well as my fuse replacement.

I would say, the goal is the 12th so you have 2 days of fun anticipation! :D
Glad to hear you're going to get help with the pump! I had some mechanical issues with my Corvette this Spring as well. I noticed the fog lights (Or are they now called Driving Lights???) wouldn't turn on. The first order of business was to find the mechanism to gain access under the hood. After some investigation I had to move to the other side of the car and located the compartment where the electrical fuses are mounted. After undoing all the hardware to get into the compartment, on the lid, there were schematics showing which electrical circuits to diagnose. Getting the required tools, I removed the offending fuse, I indeed found it to now be nonfunctional. I was off to find replacement parts and found I had one on hand. Replacing the defunct part with the new one resulted in satisfactory results of the lights now working.
Ok, ok, so not nearly as involved as the investigations you did, I tried to milk the story for all it's worth. I hope your pump replacement goes as well as my fuse replacement.

:rofl:
lol.... sorry for laughing Riley but I just went through the fuse issue on my diesel. After searching through the under dash fuses, I finally got out the manual and found out there is another complete assortment of fuses under the hood.... Once I found the box (carefully hidden half under the air filter box), I then had to fabricate a special, custom, factory secret Ford tool to remove the cover without breaking off the rest of the plastic tabs. Then I too was met with the schematics on the underside of the lid... I never use to be dyslexic but after looking at the lid diagram and trying to turn it and twist my head at the same time so it wasn't the total opposite of the fuse layout, I am now..... But like you... I finally replaced the fuse and my trailer tow lights work once again....

In these cases isn't anyone concerned 'why' the fuse blew in the first place?
Only once in my car life did I ever see a bad fuse, and it was new/defective.
There is a reason these things 'blow'. They don't go bad.
I wonder if we will hear more to these stories??

Graham

Last edited:
Oh yeah..... thanks Graham.... you had to ask..... ....Well.... herrrreeeee's Paul Harvey with "The Rest of the Story"....

Plugged my trailer in to the truck and my brake lights didn't work on the 5th wheel.... Hey.... no problem.... I got one of them fancy little pointed screwdriver looking thingys with the alligater clip on a wire and the little light bulb in the handle... Well.... I quickly found out that when you touch the little pointy end against 2 or more prongs at once (I'm not sure how many i touched as the blinding flash of sparks scared the hell out of me), that you end up with blown fuses.....

There Riley.... Your turn....

Reactions: nascar03
So picked up my cheque! Dad's grain is hauled in as well so after lunch we started in on the fuel pump. 1st step, you need to time the engine to #1 TDC - I think! There is a pin under the fuel pump so you get a breaker bar and socket on one of the four bolts on the pulley attached to the crankshaft. Rotate it until the pin pops into place. Well we turned this over and over and over for like an hour and the pin would not pop into place! Finally reached the point where we removed the air compressor pump (under the fuel pump) to them remove the pin to find out that the tip was broken off into the gear that has the hole!!! For some reason they elected to make it out of plastic (WTF????????). So with the pin removed and a flashlight you can actually get a good look into the area where the gear is and we found the hole with the broken pin tip still in it so are trying to remove that. But I had to leave to get my son so I'm not sure how they made out but will find out tomorrow morning- possibly. It was +5 with a 50 km wind working outside, fun times today. Forecast is for rain and 50 km winds tomorrow....................... But at least understanding that the next step it to time and lock the injection pump and then it can be removed. Actually, it may be a lot easier than I was thinking now that I am particpating (read helping) someone who knows what they are doing.

Fuses. Yep Riley, had my share of experiences with them too! Sparks, smoke but thankfully no fires yet!!

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
I found it odd too and am not sure why the pin would be plastic and not metal. I can understand you would want it to sheer off if for some reason you forgot about it after timing the engine to remove the pump.

The thought by cousin John is that the pump has been off before and they did forget to retract the pin before trying to start it. We should try to remove the pump this morning after my son goes to his mom's and if it is not raining as it is forecast to do.

The rebuilt pump is $2400 which is not too bad.

I was at a machinery dealer getting a copy of the instructions to remove the pump and they had a new quad track 600 hp tractor, only $615K!! Some of these farmers must be making piles of cash, I guess if you were farming like 10,000 acres you need something like that. But still crazy! But in line with a new combine running a cool $750K thanks to the exchange rate now.

Cheers,

Garry

Injection pump removed from the sprayer, will get rebuilt pump on on Monday and maybe even install it, if not then Tuesday! Much excitement!

Celebrated by buying another 2K grain truck, a 1981 GMC with a diesel. I'm building up a fleet of these, three so far, the oldest one I've had for 5 years now I think. The goal, have them last a year and then they are making me $$$$$. Shifts nice, brakes well, started easily (have to try it tomorrow after it has been sitting though). Some corrosion on the box but for the price my expectations are in line!

All in all a very happy day, cool but not too windy.

Cheers,

Garry

Odd.......................

My biggest fear came true. Dad took the injection pump to Dawson Creek and the guy there called me and said he couldn't find any reason why it wouldn't be working. I was, as you can imagine, devastated. What was wrong that we missed? Then a while later he called again and wanted me to double check the overflow valve and also wanted to know, if the timing locking pin for the injection pump (as opposed to the one that locks the engine timing) was broken when it was flipped over. I recalled that it was but wanted to check with cousin John who confirmed that it was.

The eureka moment.

Turned out that the injection pump locking pin, again made of plastic, has these two little tabs, one of which broke off. It dropped down somewhere and blocked some little hole that the fuel has to go through, the rack was fine and moving as it should have been but no fuel was getting through.

So he fished out the piece, confirmed that it was the only piece missing, installed a new timing pin and it should be ready to go.

So this morning cousin John, Brad, Dad and i will gather around, install it and then give it a whirl.

I suspect that maybe 11 am Alberta time if you put an ear toward us you may hear a sonic boom!

So as usual, living in hope.

And otherwise it was a OK day yesterday. Cousin Brad and I went over the new blue truck and it is now squared away and shipshape. Moved the 58' drill in front of the shed to start prepping it, drained the oil on the 1150, found a leaking hydraulic hose on the drill but thankfully just a short 15' one instead of one of those 60' monster jobs I've done a few times before..............

Cheers,

Garry

Wow! Quite the chain of events Garry! I'm looking forward to hearing that the sprayer fired up!

That is too funny about your fuses Eric. Ford definitely has their own locks to getting into some compartments. I had a friend looking for the fuse panel to his 03 Expedition only to learn it's behind the passenger side kick panel after an aggravating 20 minutes. Glad you have lights on the trailer.

Graham, that is a great question you asked and oddly enough, the fuse that I took out had a best before date on it!......Ok, maybe it didn't. Anyway, that is the question I would like to know is why. The lights worked prior to storage and they stopped after storage. My thought is usually when a fuse blows, when you replace it, if something is wrong, it will blow again and this is what I was sort of expecting so that I would be on the hunt for a short somewhere.
Last summer I changed the bulbs from halogen to HID and was trying to think if I had to splice anywhere but the kit was all plug and play. My only other thought is mice chewing through a wire but there is zero evidence of mice being in/around my car.
So, my guess is as I was pulling the battery in and out, maybe because the lights draw more power, the voltage fluctuations caused the fuse to go in that circuit? I'm not sure, but it is something I'll keep my eye on.

Sigh.

Dad forgot to being back the old engine timing lock and casting. It is just a small piece, maybe 1.5 by 3". They gave him the pump all nicely wrapped up in plastic and the part was left in the box which was left in Dawson Creek. I thought about going to get it (Z06 road trip!) but it would be 4 hours and by the time I got back cousin John would be at home when his son gets home from school.

So elected to get the part shipped by Greyhound and with luck it will arrive tomorrow morning.

Worked on the drill instead, sort of a nice day, +14, not too too wind.

So that is why there was no sonic boom from this area...........but tune in tomorrow.................I hope!

Cheers,

Garry

Life is not boring around Garry's farm.:Biggrin:

Sounds like you've got a hold on things Garry and will be "back in business" again soon.

You've been thru the wringer lately and deserve something good.

cheers

Colin

Good morning Colin,

No life is not boring to be sure. We're still much earlier than normal so oddly I'm sort of calm and relaxed about things. Even the real go-getters are just starting to seed as of yesterday. Most years to be honest we're closer to the 7th or 10th of May before we start seeding so I'm in a good place right now. Just find it odd to have had this problem with the sprayer as an unexpected experience when I was expecting the spring run up to be a lot more uneventful.

Came home last night and even had a fire in the yard firepit. My gf even suggested that I go for a Z06 drive but she wanted to come with me but didn't want me to drive fast..............

With luck the part comes on this bus this morning and then it takes care of the problem and we're back in business.

Spent time working on the 1st drill yesterday, replaced the last three 2" main lines. Looked at changing a packer bearing that failed - frightful job, actually scared me when I read about the process on some farm forums and looked at some people doing it on YouTube, going to push my luck and hope I can make it through the spring without it failing completely. So tough that a dealer in central Alberta even build a special frame and machine to do this job for owners. One guy was even using a jackhammer to try to drive the packers off the shaft - wow!

Hopefully be sonic boom ready this morning..............

Cheers,

Garry

Pump installed by 1:10 this afternoon.........................

No sonic booms.........................

Sonic weepings maybe......................

Didn't make a bit of difference....................

Decided to hire custom sprayer to get a move-on with things, $9000...................

Would have got me a camshaft instead!

Going to have to pull the injection pump again but going to wait until after seeding is done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.