Cemeteries are are full of people who thought they couldn't be replaced

What are some of the funniest epitaphs? - Quora

I tell that to my team often when their egos are getting too bloated
My old stand by when my staff started thinking they were God's gift.... I read this years ago and have never forgotten...

Sometime when you’re feeling important;
Sometime when your ego ‘s in bloom;
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You’re the best qualified in the room:
Sometime when you feel that your going,
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow these simple instructions,
And see how they humble your soul.
Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that’s remaining,
Is a measure of how much you’ll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you’ll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.
The moral of this quaint example,
Is to do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There’s no indispensable man.

A bit draconian for my liking!
Could have said - defend your country.
Usually it is the politicians who order the miliary in to battle unless the politician is a military leader after a coup.
They should keep Rruuff's quote above in mind
Yes . I agree . But , that is not actually the reality. The last time I can think of that the US was directly attacked was Pearl Harbour yet look at the number of combat operations they have been involved in all over the world for decades both official and covert and it paints a different reality. Several branches of the US military have been recruiting , targeting teenagers, through video gaming for a few decades. They even developed their own game which they ran servers for called Americas Army . Free to play. They actually approached the top skilled players and said we will teach you how to do this for real . Every branch of the military have dedicated gaming teams that play First Person Shooter games full time. They actually use X-box controllers to control their real drones for gods sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vettenut
Yes . I agree . But , that is not actually the reality. The last time I can think of that the US was directly attacked was Pearl Harbour yet look at the number of combat operations they have been involved in all over the world for decades both official and covert and it paints a different reality. Several branches of the US military have been recruiting , targeting teenagers, through video gaming for a few decades. They even developed their own game which they ran servers for called Americas Army . Free to play. They actually approached the top skilled players and said we will teach you how to do this for real . Every branch of the military have dedicated gaming teams that play First Person Shooter games full time. They actually use X-box controllers to control their real drones for gods sake.
actually the last time was 9-11. In my opinion that was an attack on the US

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Of course ! How could I forget that. So that would make twice in 80 years.
Not bad considering some Countries have seemingly been at war for centuries.
Agreed but you have to look at why those Countries are inherently violent. My opinion doesn't count for much but most of the peoples in those 'other' countries have nothing but their religion, and religion isn’t especially peaceful. It's actually quite violent if you look at history. When they have nothing they make war and kill in the name of their orthodox beliefs and the way they interpret certain religion faiths and writings. Whether they believe that their God is leading them or not, it's an excuse for many. We are lucky here as the Protestant and Catholic religions have diluted considerably over the years but there was a time, especially in the old Country, that was not the case. JMO