I think you jynxed it with all that awesome weather talk Brian.

Snow in the mountains forecast for June 21
Columbia Icefields

Thanks for the tip.

I will be monitoring this... mid week it could melt in hours or a day.

I will be calling Columbia Icefields mid week

NOW, when I did a test run the may long there was tons of snow in the ditches still from winter but the highway was fine.

2 years ago a landslide happened between Sask Crossing and Lake Louise and it was fine. we did see the snow but highway was ok.

See how things are Thursday.

I might make a note in my email about it and explain how it could happen but gone fast... good this is not for the weekend LOL

IMG_3113.jpg

This is the area we have to watch.... this just south of Columbia Icefields..

The temps are warm that snow can melt fast. Time will tell.

This was the May Long

B

Ok, the info and tips email was sent out. If you are going on the route and never got the email PM me with your email.

Now, if some snow happens Wednesday and Thursday plows clearing it and maybe in a day the roads could be clear....... just maybe some in the ditches.

We will see Thursday / Saturday has a 20% precip and +20 / low +8 in Jasper so that is good.... thinking on ideas.

I have the route done just minutes ago... but tired, printed it and will read it again in the am... and will be send tomorrow night.

I will have it for everyone in PDF format with text only and one with maps and an online web version too with maps you can view on your phone.

Brian

Tuesday night the route info was email to everyone....... also maps too in an email.

Now to hope the weather people are wrong.

I have an alternate route worked out......... Paul says it will be fine! I kinda agree, the temp forecast for Columbia Icefields area was changed to 5 higher today for Saturday..... lets hope they revise it again.... and it ends up being lots of rain the next few days !!! They said 40-50 cm and now say 10 cm at higher elevations..... and hope it is less.

Jasper says +19 Saturday and mm rain... nothing Weather Network

Now, we are going through Columbia Icefields around 4:30 - 5pm area...... that is the warmest part of the day.

Not to worry please.... yet.

Brian

Not to scare but Jasper is over 6000 feet lower elevation than Columbia Icefield... Gonna be iffy for the PSS and SC2 rubber if the Weather network is close for the icefield elevations max temperature.... It will be a limp along trip for some (me for sure...lol)... This is the forecast for Columbia icefields as of this morning...

Columbia icefield.jpg

Reactions: Pep
Not to scare but Jasper is over 6000 feet lower elevation than Columbia Icefield... Gonna be iffy for the PSS and SC2 rubber if the Weather network is close for the icefield elevations max temperature.... It will be a limp along trip for some (me for sure...lol)... This is the forecast for Columbia icefields as of this morning...

View attachment 28244
It may be time to review the route. Snow isn’t going to go away at a max of +2. It’s summer vacation not a ski trip.

Last edited:
It may be time to review the route. Snow isn’t going to go away at a max of +2. It’s summer vacation not a ski trip.

We will see how much there is Friday am

I drove my ZR1 in -1 to -2 temps in the wet snow to get into Lethbridge when I was bringing it back late April 2012- was fine.

There is no precip for Friday night and Saturday at Columbia Icefields. i am guessing there should be dry roads depending on snowfall, it was revised from 40-50 down to 10 cm and the stuff that has fallen is melting on the roads now. We drive through there at 4-5pm which is the warmest part of the day.

I can call the Jasper RCMP Friday as ask too... just say I have a sports car and wondering The live cameras are helping. No snow on the roads at Columbia Icefields or the Skywalk now. .

Paul and I are monitoring the weather.

Last year some said lets go late May, that is too early. We are going the first day of summer.

I am hoping on Friday the Columbia Icefields high temp goes to 4-8 degrees. It was at 4 yesterday.

I have an alternate route away from the Icefields as a back up.

Brian

If you don't wanna do the Icefields way there will be an alternate you could do. It would include part of the first half ( which has the most stops to see ).

I would be concerned too if I was driving my ZR1

Best to see how it is Friday am on the live webcams

B

These are the webcams..... no snow in the Icefields. Don't panic yet....

Reactions: 12cents

Yeah AL..I refuse to take my winter parka.... Snow on the road is definately a no-no, but even with snow, I doubt it will stay on a road for long with no frost in it. I'm more concerned about the temperature. I know what my PSS act like on cold pavement and don't want to ski on them either. That's JMO but not gonna make any decisions until I see tomorrow if the temp forecast improves.

Reactions: Pep
Highway highest point is more like 3400 ft higher. Like Brian says, frost gone it will be more the temperature for most guys tires. No fun in hockey pucks
I stand corrected... the elevation of 9,843′ I was given appears to be for the Columbia icefields. I guess it's possible the Weather Network's forecast may also be for the Columbia icefields.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread