Nov 29, 2019
Etobicoke
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 2LT Z51
Province
ON
So as the month draws down, I am going to be putting my Ceight away for the winter. I was planning on simply leaving it in my garage with the cover on and the battery tender plugged in.
Any other special precautions needed? I was thinking of over inflating the tires to avoid flat spots. Given that with the Z51 they are the summer versions, should I be concerned with garage temp? Its not heated but does get some warmth from the walls to the house. Any experts here wish to share their experience or advice on proper winter storage, please do.
Thanks for the input.

• Useful
Reactions: Bucketoy
Over inflate the tires is OK for normal tires, but I doubt runflats would flat spot, but I have no idea.
Make sure the tank is full of fuel. Less aIr = less moisture.
I usually leave the hood (trunk) open to keep rodents out so I don't bother with a cover as that also attracts rodents.
Some use moth balls, but I've never.

Reactions: Bucketoy and ABC
I read that previous generations of Corvette's had issues if you filled the gas tank over a 1/4, I'm sure some C7 guys will chime in, I usually like to do an oil change also ( we get 2 free ones) not sure if it helps but on cold concrete I put the tires on 3/4" plywood 2' x 2". I like to use a dab of dielectric grease on the top weather striping to not dry out. Also best gas you can buy with concentrate of Starton additive.

Reactions: Bucketoy and ABC
Clothes dryer antistatic sheets also keep critters out. Make sure they are scented. An old boating trick. Crack the windows open a tiny bit to let air circulate to avoid stuffiness and moldy smell. I wouldn't cover the entire car. I'd put a bed sheet over the trunk, roof and frunk. Dust won't kill the paint, and this way the cracked windows get air circulating.

Reactions: ABC and Bucketoy
So as the month draws down, I am going to be putting my Ceight away for the winter. I was planning on simply leaving it in my garage with the cover on and the battery tender plugged in.
Any other special precautions needed? I was thinking of over inflating the tires to avoid flat spots. Given that with the Z51 they are the summer versions, should I be concerned with garage temp? Its not heated but does get some warmth from the walls to the house. Any experts here wish to share their experience or advice on proper winter storage, please do.
Thanks for the input.

I'm looking for thoughts on this subject as well. I'm getting my engine oil and filter changed tomorrow at W/N. 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic ESP Formula, I hope! I'm also adding gas stabilizer to a full tank of 94 octane. I will be using the Corvette battery maintainer but what are peoples thoughts on also putting the car in transport mode for the winter... (overkill?). As for the Z51 summer only tires, Morgan Crosbie hinted in his last video that his next video will have information on what Michelin recommends for winter storage for these tires. apparently, he says he was down at the Michelin head office? ... factory? and has some important information from the people who should know. My rims are the only part of my car that I have not been properly detailed yet so I was going to put the car up on jack stands for the winter and bring the tires/rims down into my workshop/basement for a ceramic coating and storage. My garage is NOT heated and gets pretty cold.

Reactions: kerry4 and ABC
I read that previous generations of Corvette's had issues if you filled the gas tank over a 1/4, I'm sure some C7 guys will chime in, I usually like to do an oil change also ( we get 2 free ones) not sure if it helps but on cold concrete I put the tires on 3/4" plywood 2' x 2". I like to use a dab of dielectric grease on the top weather striping to not dry out. Also best gas you can buy with concentrate of Starton additive.
I had heard about that issue on fuel levels too in other gen cars. I like the idea of getting the tires off the concrete.

Mines being stored for the winter probably when October is done. Full tank of gas, I'm covering it, plugging in the tender and it will be in a non-heated garage. Non-heated garages are better IF you have your other vehicles that will be going in and out during the winter like me. Those other cars will bring in salt into the garage and if your garage is heated then that heat will activate the salt. Salt does not get activated in a non-heated garage.

For what it's worth from a C6 and C7 owner, I have a heated stall in my shop that is Vette dedicated. My winter storage is: Oil change, wash, fill the tank with premium fuel, add stabilizer, drive the car up on homemade Styrofoam SM pads, wax if it needs it (but I usually do that in February), connect battery tender, I don't overinflate the tires or leave the windows or trunk open (not sure how leaving the trunk open keeps rodents out but my shop is rodent free anyway), put on my indoor cover, and walk away until it's time to wax it for the upcoming year.
There has been much discussion on wheel removal and jack stands but I would rather not let it sit for 6 months with a hanging suspension. My opinion is that leas to premature wear on suspension/control arm bushings.
Everyone has their own winter storage ideas and preferences but those are mine.

DSCN8175 (3).jpg

Mines being stored for the winter probably when October is done. Full tank of gas, I'm covering it, plugging in the tender and it will be in a non-heated garage. Non-heated garages are better IF you have your other vehicles that will be going in and out during the winter like me. Those other cars will bring in salt into the garage and if your garage is heated then that heat will activate the salt. Salt does not get activated in a non-heated garage.
No steel = no rust = who cares about salt ;)

No miles on oil = no moisture = don't change your oil or it will cost your pocket book. ;)
If you can afford it then who cares, but 8 liters of oil isn't cheap for many of us.
You get 2 for free doesn't matter the mileage, for me the first 2 oil changes early the better

You get 2 for free doesn't matter the mileage, for me the first 2 oil changes early the better
Mileage no, time, yes. I'll get my free ones regardless of mileage, but I'll wait out the time to the last second. to get the most out of it. I won't have to pay for an oil change for 4 years! :) With the amount of miles we will use, I'll go 2 years on an oil change. About 4k miles per year. Likely more the first 2 years, but once the sheer delight wears off the mileage will lower.

Reactions: ABC
I saw another thread commenting on leaving the gas tank in the C5-6-7 generations, only a quarter full, to supposedly avoid costly repairs due to sulphur build-up on the internal fuel level sensors. Here's what I was told by my dealer (they sell/service lots of Corvettes) about that and also about whether it's a worry for the C8:

The service manager spoke with 2 senior technicians of 25+ years. They've NEVER had any vehicles needing gas tank repairs for sulphur contaminated fuel level sensors. They typically suggest a full gas tank when parking a vehicle for the Winter, with stabilizer mixed in with it. So in other words, they don't accept the theory of storing a vehicle with a quarter tank of gas. Having said that, if your garage is heated they're not even worried about a less than full tank experiencing condensation. If the car is in the cold or subject to cold/hot fluctuations, then condensation can occur. Finally, they're more worried about "bad winter gas" which is why they recommend the stabilizer.

Other than that, I think "Rruuff Day" has given a good summary of what to do (nice! C7 BTW). As for oil changes, I always go overboard and baby my engines with oil changes earlier than the manufacturer recommendations. My dealer suggested an oil change just after the 805 km break-in period (now done) with the next ones once/year, depending upon mileage. I don't expect high miles so I'll likely do one each Fall just before parking it. But each to his/her own for oil changes and everything else.

Lots of good information here guys. I will book the oil change before bedtime snooze til April. I have now put 8K on the car. Still love it! what a car!
You are better off getting the oil change in the spring if the oil is still good. My friend is an oil guru and that's always his advice. The oil will be worse in the spring. Marginally or not. If you are going to change it do it in the Spring and get the bad oil out and new stuff in for nice new Spring driving on new fresh oil.

This is the 7th winter for my 2015 Z51. Sleeps under a car cover. Stored in the garage on rubber mats. Full tank of gas with stabilizer, let it run a bit to distribute the gas, battery tender, new oil if the oil life is less then about 60%. Starts the first time every time, never any issues.

For what it's worth from a C6 and C7 owner, I have a heated stall in my shop that is Vette dedicated. My winter storage is: Oil change, wash, fill the tank with premium fuel, add stabilizer, drive the car up on homemade Styrofoam SM pads, wax if it needs it (but I usually do that in February), connect battery tender, I don't overinflate the tires or leave the windows or trunk open (not sure how leaving the trunk open keeps rodents out but my shop is rodent free anyway), put on my indoor cover, and walk away until it's time to wax it for the upcoming year.
There has been much discussion on wheel removal and jack stands but I would rather not let it sit for 6 months with a hanging suspension. My opinion is that leas to premature wear on suspension/control arm bushings.
Everyone has their own winter storage ideas and preferences but those are mine.
Looks like you got some nice groupings on the garage in the background there. What do you shoot? I got a "scary black plastic" rifle and a Glock 19... but they way this country is going who knows what will happen.

• Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: tyho and Gilles27
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread