Sep 9, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Stingray
Province
ON
So my C8 has finally arrived at Brian Cullen’s in St. Catherines after a 2+ year wait. I am trading in my C7 and have about a 700 km drive to the dealership. I was planning on driving the C7 there and returning with the C8 but worried about weather conditions. The first 90 k of my trip will be 2 lane secondary highway and the rest mostly 400 series. The C8 is non Z51 so will be equipped with all season tires but the C7 is Z51 with the original rear summer tires.

I would try to pick a couple of days with mild weather and no snow forecast but would subject to the whims of nature. Other options would be to rent a U-Haul car trailer but would have to get light hookup and would be worried about damaging the cars. Another option would be to arrange shipping but likely an expensive option for the 2 cars.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Attachments

• 72316180536__CEAC0BB2-946F-4EAA-ACCE-EFE39E368699.jpeg
    72316180536__CEAC0BB2-946F-4EAA-ACCE-EFE39E368699.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 72316183258__1B3C37C7-4C39-452A-AC86-47E4B1173A94.jpeg
    72316183258__1B3C37C7-4C39-452A-AC86-47E4B1173A94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 72316192003__0C2F6840-EADA-44B2-BCFD-9B063426E0E6.jpeg
    72316192003__0C2F6840-EADA-44B2-BCFD-9B063426E0E6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 72316194940__A7BCA9B1-FE35-4F66-A048-887B373F253D.jpeg
    72316194940__A7BCA9B1-FE35-4F66-A048-887B373F253D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
So my C8 has finally arrived at Brian Cullen’s in St. Catherines after a 2+ year wait. I am trading in my C7 and have about a 700 km drive to the dealership. I was planning on driving the C7 there and returning with the C8 but worried about weather conditions. The first 90 k of my trip will be 2 lane secondary highway and the rest mostly 400 series. The C8 is non Z51 so will be equipped with all season tires but the C7 is Z51 with the original rear summer tires.

I would try to pick a couple of days with mild weather and no snow forecast but would subject to the whims of nature. Other options would be to rent a U-Haul car trailer but would have to get light hookup and would be worried about damaging the cars. Another option would be to arrange shipping but likely an expensive option for the 2 cars.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Suggest you check your break in requirements. A long steady drive of 700kms may not be the best.

As long as you vary your rpm's from time to time, you'll be ok with the break-in stuff. If the roads are dry and the temps are above freezing +4 type thing, you can do the drive down with summer tires. Take your time and leave lots of room between cars etc..

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day and KTJF
I drove a new C8 home from Cobourg to Milton this year. Every 15 minutes, put the trans in manual and paddle down to 7th or 6th for a few minutes. And vary between 100 and 120 km/h.
As for tires, years ago there were no all seasons, let alone winter tires. If there's no snow in the forecast, you'll be fine.

Reactions: KTJF
I don't know where your journey originates (guessing Sudbury from your description) but obviously an enclosed trailer both ways would be best but Denis and Murray are right you can drive it.
I looked at the weather for Sudbury to St Catharine's and you have a window on Tuesday coming down and Wednesday going back with sunny conditions before snow hits Sudbury Thursday. Warmer temps are forecast for next weekend with mostly rain and snow up north for next Sunday.
Like the rest said, watch your tire temps and distances. I have read the rental U-Hauls don't work for Corvettes with width and approach angles and I see you didn't purchase front lift on your new car. I am thinking Jeff is your salesman there so you can let him know your plan when you decide.

I don't know where your journey originates (guessing Sudbury from your description) but obviously an enclosed trailer both ways would be best but Denis and Murray are right you can drive it.
I looked at the weather for Sudbury to St Catharine's and you have a window on Tuesday coming down and Wednesday going back with sunny conditions before snow hits Sudbury Thursday. Warmer temps are forecast for next weekend with mostly rain and snow up north for next Sunday.
Like the rest said, watch your tire temps and distances. I have read the rental U-Hauls don't work for Corvettes with width and approach angles and I see you didn't purchase front lift on your new car. I am thinking Jeff is your salesman there so you can let him know your plan when you decide.
I’m driving from Mont Tremblant Quebec

Same forecast but colder. You have an opportunity on Tuesday and Wednesday with sunny and dry conditions.
Your location says Ontario not Quebec maybe you can update that when you add an Avatar photo. Still thinking you’re dealing with Jeff at the dealership. Enjoy the drive!

Did you get any PPF done at the dealer? Extended mud guards? I would highly recommend a NoviStretch bra for the front end to prevent chips especially in the radiator area. If there’s going to be no rain, tape up the rocker panels as well.

My trip home was 1,200kms. No chips. Entire front end had PPF and I taped up the high impact areas.

Attachments

• IMG_5126.jpeg
    IMG_5126.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 0
Same forecast but colder. You have an opportunity on Tuesday and Wednesday with sunny and dry conditions.
Your location says Ontario not Quebec maybe you can update that when you add an Avatar photo. Still thinking you’re dealing with Jeff at the dealership. Enjoy the drive!
Yes, moved to Quebec after joined but not sure how to change province? And, yes Jeff is my salesperson.

Ouch ! I know what you are saying. I drove there 3 weeks ago in a car with summers. Drove into a non forecasted snow storm around Trois-Rivières. Actually at one point I lost control of the car on the Trans but pulled it out , Drove for I don't know how long with my flashers on at 40km till I could get into a Motel. Got up the next day and drove to Mont Tremblant. Came back a couple days later with no issues 1800Km. If you have the tyres I think you have it should be ok on dry roads -4 or better. Getting off that mountain would be a big moment and I'd definitely take the 105 to Ottawa.

Keep your eyes and ears on the weather, get the right window and be prepared to pull into a Hotel immediately if things get anywhere near dicey. On a side note how were they like on the trade in ?

Congrats, glad you made it back safe. I knew from the look ahead that you had a window last Tues/Wed or Fri/Sat with rain and warm enough to clean the car once you got back. What were you initial impressions of the C8 vs C7 even though the cars are spec'd differently and I don't recall if you got mag ride but know you went from Z51 to base suspension.

Congrats, glad you made it back safe. I knew from the look ahead that you had a window last Tues/Wed or Fri/Sat with rain and warm enough to clean the car once you got back. What were you initial impressions of the C8 vs C7 even though the cars are spec'd differently and I don't recall if you got mag ride but know you went from Z51 to base suspension.
The C8 definitely is much quieter and smoother than the C7. It was hard to tell the difference with the suspension but it seems a little more composed. ( I got the mag ride because Quebec road are so bad!) I couldn't open it up since limited to 4000 rpm for first 800 km but on one passing situation it was pretty impressive. I have always enjoyed manual transmissions and just used auto on the way home but once I get her out in the spring I'll see how it goes with the paddle shifters.

"The C8 definitely is much quieter...than the C7".
My take was that a C8 is kind of noisy at speed, (120 kmh on 401 or 407), considerably more wind and road noise than my Charger hellcat.
Probably due to less insulating material (weight savings) and riding closer to the ground.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving the C8. But I find you have to turn the radio up, and talk louder.

"The C8 definitely is much quieter...than the C7".
My take was that a C8 is kind of noisy at speed, (120 kmh on 401 or 407), considerably more wind and road noise than my Charger hellcat.
Probably due to less insulating material (weight savings) and riding closer to the ground.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving the C8. But I find you have to turn the radio up, and talk louder.
Put the top back on! ;)
Seriously though targa tops or t-tops are noisier.

• Happy
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.