YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins

Get a coffee, get comfortable, sit down and "enjoy" while this stays active ...
Dealer representatives in Calgary roll their eyes when I tell them I stopped buying in Calgary
and recently bought 1 GMC Acadia and 2 Corvettes over 250 miles away from my home.
I have been told that I was crazy for not just having them ship it in for me ...
with thanks to Derek for letting me know this video was out their ...
My consumer integrity and instinctive "smell-test" is now backed by this W5 segment.

They have many other ways and schemes too ...

- event #1 Summer 2017 - shopping for a 2017 50th Camaro. Found a Camaro in Calgary and phoned the Dealer (C_P). They owned 3 dealerships in Calgary and the 50th Camaro is on their lot. We showed up 90 minutes later through rush hour traffic and there was no Camaro. It was apparently 200 miles away with a dealer rep. However the Manager wanted us to consider a different Camaro on the Lot. They out right lied - just to get us there.

- event #2 Fall 2017 - shopping for a 2017 Chevy Cruze during the year end blowout blitz. Looking for a Hatchback. We phoned "S__G" was told there were 2 hatchbacks for us to compare. Drove across town - zero hatchbacks and about 30 Cruze Sedans - Asked if we would we consider those?

- events though out Summer and Fall 2017 we found many of the Dealer Websites that did not have accurate listings of vehicles that were actually on their lots. Explained by many that a third-party is responsible for updating the websites. Wanted my name & contact info to get back to me.

- a dealership in Calgary (S__G) removes the factory MSRP labels from the cars so that you are forced to ask for a sales rep for any information. Sales reps always answer your first question "so what options does this have?" or "what is the price?" with a question of their own ... "Can I have your name first?".

We eventually succeeded in purchasing the 2017 Corvette and have aborted our exhaustive hunt for the 2017 Cruze Hatchback.
During all of this we did manage to refer 2 separate buyers to a dealership 250 miles away for a new GMC Sierra and a GMC Yukon Denali of their own.
Since 2009, 10 of my last 11 new GM purchases (5 mine & 6 referrals) have been done outside of my resident City, Calgary.

I will disclose that a couple of Calgary Dealerships did not have inventory on their lot that suited what I wanted.
Why did I post this video? .... I just want my Corvette Colleagues to know and be weary when in the market for a Corvette (or anything else).

I can't seem to stop looking at new vehicles and I advise/refer people I know when they are looking ...

Last edited:
Sad how we have to look far and wide for honesty anymore...
Very true Eric ... I have made very good relationships with many various Dealer Employees right up to the Dealer Owners along the way.
I remain active with considering either Carter or Shaganappi for my Corvette Servicing (for when I can't get to Edmonton). I've heard nice things in Red Deer.
High River, Wetaskiwin and Carter is current for my GMC Servicing. I find Servicing has to be convenient but Purchasing not as much.

... feels good to get a rant over with ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
I watched this episode back in March when it was aired. No surprises...They are car dealers....lol... Actually Shag was one of the 3 out of 20 that passed their test....

saw part of the program but not sure I saw it all until I can review it, why do people lie, my wife wants to be at least a few blocks away when the s/m or woman and I discuss price once we choose a vehicle. Jeff

Frankly I was shocked at how much BS these dealers are getting away with.
I was laughing/crying especially hard when they talked to NIVIS (I think that’s what they were called... or that’s the Doc I needed for registration... can’t remember... or was it AMVIC?) who we are forced to pay a fee for on every new purchase. They are the ones protecting the consumer. What a joke.

:eek:

:ROFL:

Reactions: YFCvii
I forgot until just now (wrapping up work tonight) that I assisted with a Cadillac Purchase this Spring. A Calgary Dealership purchase by a Senior (Female) so an out of town purchase was not negotiable. Found an awesome new Cadillac and negotiated an awesome price. I thought I was done. Went from the Sales Manager Office to the "Financial side" where we all know is where the notorious package deals on the extended warranty begins. OMG ! We got through the usual stuff. Extended Warranty, Paint Protection, Leather Protection, Undercoating, 3M protection. Then came Dent Protection, Tire Protection and much much more ... I allowed the entertaining scare-tactic circus act to continue so I could see where it lead. By the time it was done, the "finance expert" was ready for an agreement to be signed for and extra $9950.00+gst worth of customer worry-free add-on. This Grand Total was a first for me. I had to take this buyer for a coffee and go through it all before a decision was made. Came back with a compliment of add-on being accepted. (it was my first Cadillac experience so maybe this pricing is normal - but this add-on pricing sure didn't go anywhere near $10k with the Corvette - which was a higher MSRP than this Cadillac).

All mentioned so that my CCF pals are informed that more and more add-ons appear to be popping up
- ya I know 'door-ding' dent protection - that came out of left field for my ears.
Wasn't even mentioned at the Edmonton Dealership I got the Corvette from but it might be coming in the future.
Not my intention to "scare" anyone - I am just not a fan of this being done after the excitement of striking a deal for your new "baby".
Oh my, imagine if this was ever done in the birth department at the hospital?
(add-ons for life insurance, fall down and scrape knee insurance, bad grade tutoring insurance ...)
I think I just might have started something in the making with an insurance company ... lol

Last edited:
I forgot until just now (wrapping up work tonight) that I assisted with a Cadillac Purchase this Spring. A Calgary Dealership purchase by a Senior (Female) so an out of town purchase was not negotiable. Found an awesome new Cadillac and negotiated an awesome price. I thought I was done. Went from the Sales Manager Office to the "Financial side" where we all know is where the notorious package deals on the extended warranty begins. OMG ! We got through the usual stuff. Extended Warranty, Paint Protection, Leather Protection, Undercoating, 3M protection. Then came Dent Protection, Tire Protection and much much more ... I allowed the entertaining scare-tactic circus act to continue so I could see where it lead. By the time it was done, the "finance expert" was ready for an agreement to be signed for and extra $9950.00+gst worth of customer worry-free add-on. This Grand Total was a first for me. I had to take this buyer for a coffee and go through it all before a decision was made. Came back with a compliment of add-on being accepted. (it was my first Cadillac experience so maybe this pricing is normal - but this add-on pricing sure didn't go anywhere near $10k with the Corvette - which was a higher MSRP than this Cadillac).

Interesting info on the Cadillac add on upsell costs Spence. I have a Cadillac purchase to do in the spring so I will be thinking of your observation as I suffer through that “finance” dept experience where I get pissed off like I did with the Z06. I remember through the haze of annoyance the numbers we at about 6k before I shut her down.
So annoying when you have made the deal paid for the vehicle and this garbage comes up as you are just trying to get the actual bill of sale and paper to register the car. I’m ticked off again just writing this.. lol

“Dent protection”. ??? That’s a new one for me. I must have flipped out before she got the that one on the Z.
I remember laughing recently hearing about all the people that bought under coating / rust protection on their Corvettes. :Shrug2:

Very interesting. I have no experience with buying new vehicles...it is something I cannot convince myself is worthwhile. I have bought 2 vehicles off a used lot, but both of them were from my uncle (I know a car salesman, yuck...but he is a good one I promise) so again have very limited experience of car buying. It is a shame to see that the agency in charge of regulating the dealers in Alberta are so relaxed.

I guess everyone should do their own research so they are informed.

T

Interesting watch. The woman at the Kia dealership was there when my daughter bought a new Kia Soul five years ago. I refused to go into the "closing room" but told my wife and daughter to say NO to everything. They emerged after 30 minutes and my daughter was almost in tears after being bullied by the sales woman. Wife was furious and suggested we walk. The original sales guy started kissing ass and closed the deal at the original agreed to price with no extra fees. My daughter learned a valuable life lesson that day but still has and loves the car.

I have bought my last two Corvettes from Jack Carter, 2015 because they had it in inventory and 2017 because the had allocation for an order. Happy with both deals but also have a lot of respect for Shag where I got my 2000 C5.

Interesting watch. The woman at the Kia dealership was there when my daughter bought a new Kia Soul five years ago. I refused to go into the "closing room" but told my wife and daughter to say NO to everything. They emerged after 30 minutes and my daughter was almost in tears after being bullied by the sales woman. Wife was furious and suggested we walk. The original sales guy started kissing ass and closed the deal at the original agreed to price with no extra fees. My daughter learned a valuable life lesson that day but still has and loves the car.

I have bought my last two Corvettes from Jack Carter, 2015 because they had it in inventory and 2017 because the had allocation for an order. Happy with both deals but also have a lot of respect for Shag where I got my 2000 C5.

I like your reply. The two dealerships you mentioned are the only two in Calgary I feel closest to being comfortable entering for actual on-lot purchase considerations (the Cadillac experience was with one of them). I am happy the hear the result for your Daughter is a happy GM Owner. I consider buying a new car is like an annual physical (have to but hate them) and the follow ups for prescription renewals (like auto maintenance). I think scare-tactic selling is disrespectful of the consumer and notice that those who do it attempt to always come across as your best friend. That's what triggers my "Spidey-Senses" every time.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. I've been one of the lucky ones I guess. I've had nothing but good experiences. Sales people have bent over backwards to please me. Absolutely no pressure tactics, deception or lies. When asked about add ons, a simple no answer sufficed.
In the last 17 years I've purchased 9 new vehicles all without a hitch.
Perhaps buying in Reddeer a smaller city is the reason why.

Very interesting thread. I've been one of the lucky ones I guess. I've had nothing but good experiences. Sales people have bent over backwards to please me. Absolutely no pressure tactics, deception or lies. When asked about add ons, a simple no answer sufficed.
In the last 17 years I've purchased 9 new vehicles all without a hitch.
Perhaps buying in Reddeer a smaller city is the reason why.
True! I did stop in Red Deer in 2016 and saw an awesome Long Beach Red Corvette during my hunt ... they were pretty nice with me but a sale never matured ...
hmmmmmm.... I always wondered who ended up with that beauty :angelic: :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.