Nov 5, 2017
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Coupe, 6 spd
In the fall I started a conversation about wheels since it looked like I was going to get a good deal on C6 wheels for my C5. Over the winter that sort of fell apart so now that spring is around the corner (I hope), I'm back to deciding on aftermarket instead. The current wheels are stock 17/18's.
- The question I have for you guys - is it ok to simply do 18" or 19" all around (all 4) making up the difference in diameters with tire size front and back?
- I would likely go slightly wider too (255/295). I'm assuming this will require a slightly wider wheel so how do I know what offset to order? Even if I keep the stock 245/275 width and same stock wheel width, does anyone know for certain what the offset needs to be?
I've checked with a few wheel dealers and I never get a very confident answer on offset - a lot of "it should fit".
Thanks for any help.

Ron the following are the specs on my CCW wheels:

Rears 19" x 11" with 8.15" of back spacing and an offset of +64 with a 2" lip
Tires are Michelin PSS 305/30R/19

Fronts 19" x 9.5" with 7.30" of backspacing and an offset of +52 with a 1" lip
Tires are Michelin PSS 265/30R/19

No issues with the active handling, there is enough difference in circumference to overcome any issues there.
Tires and wheels do not extend beyond the bodywork.
The set up allows for a big brake conversion at some point.

I used to run the original wheels on occasion but the tires are simply too old now for any purpose but storage.

Good luck with your decision.

You can co 18-19 combo as long as you pick a tire size that will give you a outside diameter as close as possible from the original size. You will find some tire comparison website on the web, make sure to stay under 3% difference and that the ratio betwneen front and rear is about the same as with the 17-18 combo. Make sure you take the tire size on the driver door sticker or the owners manual.

Tire Size Comparison

Thanks for the help guys. I'm leaning towards all 18's or 19's which apparently simplifies the wheel and tire type choices a bit too. Now I just need to decide whether Run Flats or not. Maybe a Dynaplug system in the trunk will give me enough peace of mind. Much nicer ride if I don't go Run Flats.

Ron you hit upon an important consideration and that is tire availability. I was told at the time I ordered the CCW wheels that 19" was easier to find in the sizes I wanted. CCW was to install and balance the tires on wheels and then ship to my buddy in Kalamazoo where I would pick them up. Wheels finished no tires. :banghead:

They did eventually get them but it was a bit frustrating. I really like the Michelin PSS and I believe they have been replaced by an updated tire. Never had a car with run flats so no idea what to compare them to.

Good luck Ron.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm leaning towards all 18's or 19's which apparently simplifies the wheel and tire type choices a bit too. Now I just need to decide whether Run Flats or not. Maybe a Dynaplug system in the trunk will give me enough peace of mind. Much nicer ride if I don't go Run Flats.
If you decide on run flats, the Michelin Pilot super Sport is a world of difference from the Goodyear Eagle run flats in both ride and road noise. I have run both on Corvettes. I also like the peace of mind of run flats.

If you decide on run flats, the Michelin Pilot super Sport is a world of difference from the Goodyear Eagle run flats in both ride and road noise. I have run both on Corvettes. I also like the peace of mind of run flats.
It appears I have made the right choice - this is good to hear!

Reactions: ddgermann
Am I missing something? Can you get run flats in Michelin PSS? Mine are not run flat.

Agreed on the difference between Goodyear F1 and the Michelin's. Less noise, better ride and more traction. Maybe they need a little more care but that is alright.

Am I missing something? Can you get run flats in Michelin PSS? Mine are not run flat.

Agreed on the difference between Goodyear F1 and the Michelin's. Less noise, better ride and more traction. Maybe they need a little more care but that is alright.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are what I’m ordering.! They just came out with a run flat (ZP) version. The 3+ is the improved version of the 3. I definitely prefer run flats over regular.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are what I’m ordering.! They just came out with a run flat (ZP) version. The 3+ is the improved version of the 3. I definitely prefer run flats over regular.
I’m going to enquire at both Kal tire and from the place in Kalispell on these ones this week.

Reactions: Brent08
I am waiting for word back from a Tirecraft acquaintance of mine. I inquired on the Michelin AS3+ZP tire and suppliers are unaware of them however he believes these tires will show up in late April and a $70 rebate on 4 may be applicable. Sweet !
He is off to Vancouver this week for a "tire convention" and he will be asking the Michelin Representatives a lot about these tires and call me back.
I hope to be able to share a lot more on these tires soon as I really like the aspect of a Michelin All Season Run Flat that might take a little concern of light snow and cool temperatures off the minds of Corvette Canadians. It will sure make the thought of Mountain Runs and the Early Ponoka Annual Meet & Greet easier ... for us non-tracking Owners (although they say these tires are Ultra High Performance).
Who knows, they probably have a bit more rubber on them too for Jeff to "burn off" ...

I am waiting for word back from a Tirecraft acquaintance of mine. I inquired on the Michelin AS3+ZP tire and suppliers are unaware of them however he believes these tires will show up in late April and a $70 rebate on 4 may be applicable. Sweet !
He is off to Vancouver this week for a "tire convention" and he will be asking the Michelin Representatives a lot about these tires and call me back.
I hope to be able to share a lot more on these tires soon as I really like the aspect of a Michelin All Season Run Flat that might take a little concern of light snow and cool temperatures off the minds of Corvette Canadians. It will sure make the thought of Mountain Runs and the Early Ponoka Annual Meet & Greet easier ... for us non-tracking Owners (although they say these tires are Ultra High Performance).
Who knows, they probably have a bit more rubber on them too for Jeff to "burn off" ...

Strange that a supplier isn't aware of them. They have been on the market since August. And getting pretty good reviews. Anyone in the market for an "all Season" run flat, this is a good choice i would say. Tire Rack has them. Obviously US dollars....

tires.jpg

Strange that a supplier isn't aware of them. They have been on the market since August. And getting pretty good reviews. Anyone in the market for an "all Season" run flat, this is a good choice i would say. Tire Rack has them. Obviously US dollars....

View attachment 15034
Absolutely Agreed that Michelin PSAS3+ZP are absolutely a very good option to not overlook
... simply ... they have not been in Canada yet ... and tire rack is not an option with hundreds of dollars for shipping and Visa at near $1.35 for the USA$1.
... tire rack also doesn't add up even with shipping to the border and the gas and time and other costs to go get them...
(+5% gst & +8% duty if assessed at the discretion of the border agent)
... numbers are being crunched ... tire rack isn't an option when it's the only option ... so "we" have to wait ... and annoy the Tire Dealers in Canada about them ...
I am even tempted to put a set on already and resell my PS2s just for weather piece of mind (as I am not tracking)

... oh ... unless the cost and supply only doesn't matter ... then tire rack will do

Last edited:
Absolutely Agreed that Michelin PSAS3+ZP are absolutely a very good option to not overlook
... simply ... they have not been in Canada yet ... and tire rack is not an option with hundreds of dollars for shipping and Visa at near $1.35 for the USA$1.
... tire rack also doesn't add up even with shipping to the border and the gas and time and other costs to go get them...
(+5% gst & +8% duty if assessed at the discretion of the border agent)
... numbers are being crunched ... tire rack isn't an option when it's the only option ... so "we" have to wait ... and annoy the Tire Dealers in Canada about them ...
I am even tempted to put a set on already and resell my PS2s just for weather piece of mind (as I am not tracking)

... oh ... unless the cost of them doesn't matter ... then tire rack will do

I guess prices for performance tires has dropped since I bought them 4 years ago. I actually didn't think Tire Rack PS A/S 3+ZP $ 2023.00 Cdn FOB Red Deer was a bad price for a run flat tire. But that's for 19 fronts and 20 rears (my size). JMO I guess....

Reactions: YFCvii
hahaha.... not a winner and not a contest Spence.... just available info sharing.... I remember paying $ 1000.00 just to replace the two front F1's on my C6 back before I smartened up to having the camber set properly.... And they were only 18 inch.... No matter... I have had the camber reset on my C7 and I have no urge to drive in frozen or snow conditions, so I am hoping it will be a few years yet before I need to worry about new tires.... (fingers crossed) All good mf.

Reactions: YFCvii
hahaha.... not a winner and not a contest Spence.... just available info sharing.... I remember paying $ 1000.00 just to replace the two front F1's on my C6 back before I smartened up to having the camber set properly.... And they were only 18 inch.... No matter... I have had the camber reset on my C7 and I have no urge to drive in frozen or snow conditions, so I am hoping it will be a few years yet before I need to worry about new tires.... (fingers crossed) All good mf.
... and all understood as supply only rarely applies me, I am beat because I likely need to negotiate more services to be performed in a "bundle" pricing package ... sometimes

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I’m going to enquire at both Kal tire and from the place in Kalispell on these ones this week.
Please let me know the numbers you get. Even though it’s Z06 vrs my coupe I would be interested!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.