Never would I ever pay $1 over MSRP. Back in 2014 when the new Hellcats were coming out we went through the same issue with the Challengers and dealers. There were guys paying $20k over msrp to get first in line for a Hellcat. I said nope. Now they are sitting on dealer lots.

Everyone think with their big head.....

Never would I ever pay $1 over MSRP. Back in 2014 when the new Hellcats were coming out we went through the same issue with the Challengers and dealers. There were guys paying $20k over msrp to get first in line for a Hellcat. I said nope. Now they are sitting on dealer lots.

Everyone think with their big head.....
Oh, i actually laughed at him when he told me. I said not a freaking chance.

I wonder if others on a list for awhile with that dealer, who have paid a deposit towards a 2020 C8, know about the dealer offering to sell one to "anyone" over list. Perhaps someone who's a member here with a deposit at that dealer, should talk to their new vehicle sales manager and this story might have a different ending...

Or if you know of anyone with a deposit there, consider passing along this info.

Ifa customer backs out of their order the car then belongs to the dealer. What he does with it is no concern to any of his customers except to show his true identity.

Granted. But armed with this info a customer on a waiting list could potentially use it as leverage, especially when it's likely that customer won't be getting a 2020. I know this topic has been discussed before and it depends on your viewpoint: the dealer can do what it wants and "owes" absolutely nothing to its customer base...vs...the dealer who ignores its customer base and takes this short-term benefit then risks long-term PR pain. At the very least, it's interesting that this dealer has no qualms about asking for much more than MSRP whereas other dealers refuse to do so on customer cancelled C8 orders. For what it's worth (and perhaps not much), I for one won't deal with this dealership.

It has been my experience that dealers for the most part are all the same. Maybe slightly different shades of grey but when push comes to shove, the sale in front of them is worth more than the potential loss of 5 future sales.
When you can make 5 times the profit on one sale, who cares about the next five? We, as consumers may think this is a terrible way to do business, but virtually every dealer does it. Its why the car business has a reputation only slightly better than street pimps. It is also why as consumers and customers our dealer loyalty is near zero.

Ifa customer backs out of their order the car then belongs to the dealer. What he does with it is no concern to any of his customers except to show his true identity.
To me seems suspicious as most of the guys with first deposits back out. If I was the one with a deposit way before the car was even released to order , they would be Corvette enthusiast and not as likely to miss out on first allocation, even if a financial matter comes up why not buy it and flip it for easy profit.My Ski doo dealer here puts fake deposits for Spring order only sleds just so he can sell them at full jam during the winter when no other dealers can get them, sounds like the same thing to me.

To me seems suspicious as most of the guys with first deposits back out. If I was the one with a deposit way before the car was even released to order , they would be Corvette enthusiast and not as likely to miss out on first allocation, even if a financial matter comes up why not buy it and flip it for easy profit.My Ski doo dealer here puts fake deposits for Spring order only sleds just so he can sell them at full jam during the winter when no other dealers can get them, sounds like the same thing to me.
Could easily be the case. GM didn't and still doesn't allow "Stock Orders". Only "Sold Orders". For those that don't know they are only building customer cars and likely won't build C8's for dealer stock until 2022 at the earliest. That was one reason why they allotted CTF's to their volume dealers. So they could have stock or sell them way above MSRP.

It has been my experience that dealers for the most part are all the same. Maybe slightly different shades of grey but when push comes to shove, the sale in front of them is worth more than the potential loss of 5 future sales.
When you can make 5 times the profit on one sale, who cares about the next five? We, as consumers may think this is a terrible way to do business, but virtually every dealer does it. Its why the car business has a reputation only slightly better than street pimps. It is also why as consumers and customers our dealer loyalty is near zero.

I must be "dealing" with the right dealers then...

I started off contacting the GM dealer closest to my house (Lakewood Chev) only to find out they get next to no Corvettes in. I can't say what their policy would be on MSRP [and much later I learned who the "volume" Corvette dealers in the Edmonton area were: Don Wheaton and Northgate]. I was told by my neighbour and long time member of the local Edmonton Corvette Club that "Mighty Peace Chevrolet Buick GMC" in Peace River, was someone its members liked dealing with. That dealer told me it would NEVER sell for more than MSRP although it knew of other Alberta GM dealers who had no qualms about doing so. But that same Peace River dealer only got a few C8 allocations so my spot on its list wasn't going to result in a C8 until at best 2021. Then my same neighbour told me to contact Capital Chev in Calgary, who was also in good with the local Calgary Corvette Club. That dealer told me as well it would NEVER sell for more than MSRP, expected more C8's in since it did a good Corvette volume and took my deposit...which eventually resulted in my allocation/3000 status order (alright!). I then met with the new car sales manager at Don Wheaton Chev and he confirmed they'd NEVER charge more than MSRP. Finally, I've recently talked to Jeff Easton (with Brian Cullen in St. Catherines, Ontario) and he confirmed he would NEVER charge more than MSRP and that also applied to any customer cancelled C8 orders.

So I think there are several GM dealers out there who DO value their customer base and realize after this current abnormal supply/demand situation settles down, they'll be dealing with buyers who talk to others and their actions now will affect their future reputation and sales...

I suspect the CCF members/sponsors who are GM dealers, would also fit into that category and their presence on CCF is evidence of that. Hopefully as members of this Forum, we'll shop wisely and support those dealers who treat us fairly.

• Agree
Reactions: ABC and Gilles27
Build a circus and they will come? ;)
perhaps not a sucker, but a wealthy individual who has more money than he knows what to do with.
I've always hated that term. In my experience... I know a few "extremely wealthy" people. They know exactly what they're doing. They just got so much money its like buying three mcdoubles at dons for them.

Had a dealer in Alberta call me on the weekend and ask if i wanted a 2020 in rapid blue, 2 Lt. I asked how much they said 109000, I was like woah that seems really high, they said yes, we are asking 20g over msrp. I instantly said not a chance.
i text with one of the salesman over there and the car is a 2LT with no z51 and no mag ride so its more than 20k msrp

Sherwood Park

Not suprised @jaycee

This dealership is by far the worst for this kind of BS I have ever dealt with. They will never get another chance at my business over a car I waited a year for while they held a 20K deposit. A deposit I put down the day I paid for in full a new Z06.
I know personally a number of people who will never buy there again. However, most are buying pickups and other regular cars so the Corvette business is something they can afford to lose without worry. Thus they gouge everyone on Corvettes and Camaros whenever they can. Loyalty to customers is not in their mantra or SOPs.

That said there are a number of dealerships around that do not do this as they realize we need other cars too and are happy to sell the Vette at MSRP to grab your family car, business vehicle or DD business.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.