Featured Thread
Well here's what I did today. Had plans to attend a community garage sale at the Pine Lake hall this morning but had a rude awakening when I got up and checked on Bravo and Quinn. Obviously they were busy last night. Bravo was by far the worse... Had one right in the center of his right eye... Not sure yet if he will be blind in that eye yet.... Was an expensive day and I didn't pay for anything except a vet bill.... Next life I'm going to be a veterinarian....

quills bravo.jpg
quills quinn.jpg

Well here's what I did today. Had plans to attend a community garage sale at the Pine Lake hall this morning but had a rude awakening when I got up and checked on Bravo and Quinn. Obviously they were busy last night. Bravo was by far the worse... Had one right in the center of his right eye... Not sure yet if he will be blind in that eye yet.... Was an expensive day and I didn't pay for anything except a vet bill.... Next life I'm going to be a veterinarian....

View attachment 26787View attachment 26788
Holy !! I’ve never seen that before ! Oh man,I hope they’ll be ok ! That looks very painful.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hope they are ok and that the vet can save the eye. I love a dog's attitude towards any disability, they just carry on as best they can. We have a dog that is 13 years old and has been completely blind for the last 2 years. She still demands her treats and her scheduled daily walks.

We have had our little Coton for about 7 years. This year he just went blind in the course of about a week for no reason that the vet can determine. He ran into things at first but now it is sometimes hard to tell he is blind as he knows his away around the house pretty well. They just seem to adjust to the new realities and carry on as you point out.

Thanks everyone. This is Quinn's fourth time. Bravo's third time... Only once had to take Quinn to the vet. She had quills all up inside her mouth and lips. Rest of the time I pull them out. Quinn is a pussy. She gets snappy when I pull them and Brenda can't hold her. Bravo is tough and hardly even flinches but the amount they had this time, especially in their mouth are hard to get. I wasn't going to fool around with the one in his eye anyway. It was dead center of his pupil. Have antibiotic drops and pills for him and just picked up a cone tonight to keep him from scratching it. Yup.... Just short of $ 1000.00 today... good thing they are family.... lol...

Rruuff Day times 3. Hopefully no worse and everyone heals.

As much as I’m not thrilled with vet bills for our 2 pets, we actually feel getting robbed worse at the dentist. Whether unexpected visits or regular visits.

Last edited:
Rruuff Day times 3. Hopefully no worse and everyone heals.

As much as I’m not thrilled with vet bills for our 2 pets, we actually feel getting robbed worse at the dentist. Whether unexpected visits or regular visits.

Thx Spence. Yeah... dentists are another one of lifes money pits too... I said I was coming back next life as a vet but I'm also going to marry a dentist....and my mistress will be a lawyer.... hahaha...

Reactions: Bixter44
My wallet sympathizes with yours Eric. The only question I ask at the vet concerns the quality of life afterwards.

That is our mind set as well Fred. When Brenda and I look at what we have spent on our pets over the years, our only real thought is "Aren't we fortunate we can afford it". If they will continue to have that quality, we do everything we can to give it to them. Didn't have children so why not pets and Vettes.... hehe...

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Oh man Eric the poor beasties. Those porcupines are tough fighters, you would think the dogs would stay away but I guess they are protective of their territory.

Hope they are better today and that one in Bravo's eye does not cause any permeant damage.

Thx Murray. Yeah...They never learn... Unfortunately the rational reasoning lobe of a dog's brain is quite small.... Still bigger than a lot of people though....hahahaha.... The eye doesn't look good but we are slamming the antibiotic drops and pills to him.Time will tell.

• Sad
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I wrote a little something a few days ago, but couldn't decide if I actually wanted to share it. After all, I didn't really write it to tell a story, I really just wrote it for me to be able to express my feelings and try to make myself feel a little better. It didn't. But, here goes:

Every now and again I come to the realization that my sometimes extreme (sarcastic, sadistic, or cynical) forms of expressing myself are not a funny way of looking at or dealing with things, even though I think it is at the time.

After telling my wife for the last year or more that I am tired of her cat leaving all types of bodily fluid on various floor surfaces throughout our house, and threatening to have her put down or simply throw her out of the house to find a new home - my wife finally agreed and made me do it.

Here I am, the hard-ass man who spent three months or so on my hands and knees replacing all the carpet and linoleum on our main floor with oak hardwood and ceramic tile, bitching at my wife about the damage that is happening to our investment. I'm not wrong - there is damage, and I know that I am the one that is going to ultimately have to fix it which is part of what made me so mad, but I really wasn't prepared to finally do what I had to do.

First of all, Gus has been with my wife longer than I have. I've been with my wife for ten years, and this cat has been with her for nearly sixteen. Please don't think that I was being outrageously cruel. Sixteen is quite senior for a cat, and she has been declining for a long time. I have spent many hundreds of dollars every time she had to go to the vet, and I have taken care of most of it. The vet appointments and tests. The medications and administering them. Claw trimming and filing. The cone. The clean ups. The skin work. Whatever we had to do.

I told my wife when we moved in together that I didn't like pets, and I wasn't going to be responsible for them, but I was wrong. You do what you have to do because, well... they are family.

In hindsight, it wasn't really all that difficult to have the rational discussion about what needed to be done. There was no argument. It may not have been completely clear that she was suffering, but certainly her quality of life was not what it should be. It's easy to say that cost shouldn't be a consideration, but let's be real - it is - and more importantly, what can it realistically achieve?

What really was tough - was actually doing what needed to be done.

The decision was made, and of course I was the one who had to take care of it. I couldn't even speak when I got to the counter. I just put the carrier down on the counter and looked at the ceiling for a while. There were two young ladies that were waiting for something, and I had to take a really long pause and when I could finally muster the words to say "It's time", the one ran outside crying, and her friend followed. I know - I'm a monster.

How is it that you do what you need to do? How do you be a man, and look another human in the eye and tell them that this life needs to end? And how do you justify that what you say is right? How the (expletive) do I know?

I do what I do because that is what I have to do. Sometimes the enactment of the decision is harder than the decision itself, by a significant margin. Life, and death, is tough. Especially when it is in your hands. I can only hope that when the time comes for someone to make that decision for me, that it is easy to say "Git 'er dun!".

Farewell ol green eyes. Even though I couldn't sleep with your broken diesel purring noise on my chest, I appreciated your warmth and it always felt good to have you there when you knew I should be somewhere else. I don't know how they know, but they do. I enjoyed watching you fall off the arm of the chair and not landing on your feet like the tales say, and I appreciate you cleaning those ice-cream bowls so that I didn't have to put them in the dishwasher. I don't know who is going to clean up the area in front of the stove now, or what I am supposed to do with all the turkey leftovers, and who will hedge back my pepper plants?

Maybe I need to get another cat.

No (expletive) way.

It is never easy Jeremaid. We have a dog who is 13 and a cat who is 14 and are a part of our family. I know the day is coming soon when we will be making a similar trip and it is one I am dreading.

While my wife was putting the boy to bed and reading him stories, I mixed up a couple of alcoholic beverages and set out two ice cream cupcakes in the dishes that we used to feed the cat her soft food. My wife is a trooper. She is taking this better than I am.

Today I am stripping down the laundry room and moving the machines so that we can in and under and behind everything to give it a thorough cleaning, and am amassing a great collection of food, litter, bowls, and things that we no longer need. Perhaps my tears will help to lift those stubborn stains out of the grout. Serves me right.

The thought regarding Quality in Life @Jeremiad can bring strength and redeeming peace.
Carrying out such duty and admitting an inability in the moment of putting words into action
is not that of a Monster but rather of being one with tremendous conscientious respect.
There is no winning coming away from it better than reflecting with so many moments of joy.

My best to you as a Husband and a Father at this time my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: AxeZ06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread