Featured Thread
Michael you said you had been away for a year or so, it is possible you missed this from February 2018.

You might have an interest in this Chevrolet engine reference book.

pdf.gif

LIME_BOOK_2018.pdf (1,020.0 KB, 119 views)

Reactions: XFIRE82
Yes Murray... That's exactly what we all need is a milling machine... I would no doubt either mill off a finger or two or else ruin something beyond repair... Or possibly both.... lol...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
:thumbs:
Well done. Now you have done it, we will all have to have a milling machine.:Biggrin:

You would have to wonder why GM would cast a entirely different water pump.

Owning an H1 Hummer with a 6.5 TD I’m quite familiar with this aspect. Older civilian and military H1s came with the 6.2 NA and they have a number of differences.
There are many forums that provide every detail on what’s interchangeable. Not much actually. Maybe the cap for the coolant tank...

@XFIRE82 Pretty cool repair though. It’s great to see you just make it work like that however the capacity of the 6.2 pump is less. Hopefully your truck is NA and you do not need the higher cooling capacity of the turboed engine. :thumbs:

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
.....yes my 6.5 is a natural , 2wd reg cab , not even a trailer hitch ! , so cooling is never a problem. I'm sure it will be fine. I was just surprised that the pump 6.2 hub has a dual pattern but the 6.5 is just a hair smaller. I parted out a few 6.2's but never a 6.5 so that's why I had the pump in stock.
View attachment 17517

That's good to hear Michael. Agreed, you should be fine with an NA set up. A very clever and impressive solution on the fit. That one I do not remember reading on the forums. Plus it is great to finally have a use for the orphaned water pump.
The 6.5 diesel has taken a lot of verbal abuse over the years. Some of it was warranted in the earlier 6.5L versions replacing the 6.2L, although this was more prevalent in the 6.5 turbo version. but since International Harvester took over making them, the 506 Optimizer blocks and latest P-400s are very solid engines. My 1999 H1 had one of the bad ones and lost the #8 cylinder due to the cracking issue. Hummer installed a new engine (on warranty) in the truck at 100,000 KM years after the H1 was no longer available. I ended up with a 2008 cast 506 Optimizer block that has run perfectly for 40K. Can't complain about the warranty Hummer had on the H1s. When GM took over....well it pretty much was the same experience on our H2 and H3 as any other GM product.

Sorry I digress.....

Looks like you have all the dream tools there. Glad to see you got that solved so well.
I miss my shop....

piss_on_jeep_159_zps7efd0c74.gif

Haha fantastic. You know your GM diesels well. I’m an amateur but learned a bit with my Hummer.
A certain vintage of the H1s were notorious for the cracked #8 hole. 98 to 00. Water got into the cylinder and the engine was done. Now these engines have always been questionable in the H1s as the truck is 8000 pounds (mine is closer to 9000) and as aerodynamic as a combine. The 6.5TD was putting out 190 HP with 300 ish fT/lbs of torque. A bit small for the truck. This however is plenty off-road.
Plus the civilian H1 has marginal cooling. The military ones are lighter but suffered in hot climates too.
The engines are loaded up pretty good on these trucks when they are at highway speeds.
I added an intercooler, PCM and some other mods to mine to bring up the power and boost bit. I set it for max 13 psi to keep the engine safe. Really woke up the truck and it performs well and doesn’t overheat. My cylinder temperatures are nice and safe at 900-1000 at full throttle so it’s set up well. I’m very happy with it now. I do agree these engines are great if cared for but if abused they will leave you walking. Kind of like anything else out there.
Yes I still have my H1. It has a straight pipe 4” exhaust system and yes it’s loud. The turbo noise is very distinct too. It’s not bad if you are not into the throttle to deep but super loud when it’s opened up. I’ve never had a police problem but I’m not driving like a madman either. They mostly just look. Occasionally I get pulled over so they can have a closer look. They normally laugh and admit that after the initial “are you drunk?... is this your truck?” routine. Half the time they don’t even check the paper.

My H1. I fully restored it a couple years ago. I don’t drive it much these days but love every minute when I do.
19E36262-E23E-4E90-A000-275F253B716B.jpeg
48AD5A26-C7CF-4671-88EC-0836902306B2.jpeg
763F6901-D3F7-4B97-9843-00E0F3B785AC.jpeg

B12F1823-3F9E-439E-8E3F-4A6211258875.jpeg
06119001-62E2-4C38-A5BC-EF2359414673.jpeg
650F2AEA-3AEE-438D-8B9D-8829844BED2E.jpeg
17DB913F-A214-465E-A298-FA4A48689461.jpeg
A9E6429E-3460-4FD1-A182-958CA41A6ED6.jpeg

That’s a very clean looking pick up Michael. Yes the paint is mint on it. Pretty clean under the hood too. Interesting that your got a rare one with the NA 6.5. That thing will run forever. Some of the Hummer guys have them in the older trucks and despite the weight and high mileage the trucks run on and on.
My love for black takes real effort some days that’s for sure. Incredibly difficult to keep clean and looks dirty at the slightest smudge.
Yes that’s a remote PMD from Rubber Duck in the US. It’s got a #7 chip in it which is really all the fuel that engine can handle with factory injectiors. Stock is #5 and #9 is the limit.
You are 100% right about the glow plugs. The doghouse has to come out to get at them. I had them replaced when the intercooler was installed so I should be good for a while. My mileage is well.... let’s just say you don’t drive a Hummer if you care about fuel mileage. It averages about 12 MPG from what I can tell. It’s actually not bad on the highway if you keep it at 100 kph. It tops out at about 140-150 I think. Actually never tried to find out. It will cruise at 110 ok but really starts sucking the fuel from there up.
Yes is is heavy. Each wheel and tire weighs close to 200 pounds. Those are CEPEK wheels that are one of 2 aftermarket wheels designed to carry the weight of the truck. They are aluminum but quite thick. The 40” tires are damn near as heavy as the rim. The truck is a pig but pretty capable off-road. I haven’t done too much with it but have climbed a few hills and tore up some bush and mud a few times. Yes it can get stuck like anything else and does. Where it’s the best is on really rough terrain with hills and holes. It’s really fun in the mountains on the back country trails. It will climb almost anything and has a very low COG so doesn’t have the tendency to roll over. Let’s just say I will chicken out before I come close to reaching its limit. The 12k winch is a factory option and yes it been used. Lol. I control it all from my seat.... which is great if you have a copilot.
I have spent a fortune on the thing but have enjoyed it so much I never regret it.
2E09E0CB-A5FE-465E-B390-69D6E2A390E3.jpeg
3E95BC6B-1C58-411D-BC25-9F15D501A31D.jpeg

Wow you have some awesome vintage GM pickups Michael. The old 454... awesome! Your set up there looks great to with all the signs and tools. That wood grain trimmed truck is really rare. I haven’t seen any trucks from this era looking so good.
Oddly when I was I. Sherwood Park Chev a few weeks ago they had a new pickup all done up retro with emblems etc from that series. It looked really cool and the price wasn’t bad either.
The H1 is running a 4 speed GM 4L80 transmission. This is the factory set up. It’s history is quite good in these trucks and offers very few problems. The overdrive 4th is what makes the truck highway capable. Without it 100 km hr would be 3000 RPM. About 2200 RPM in 4th at 100 kph. Mine has been worked just fine. Seems to be well matched for the truck.

Wow that is interesting. So many unique features on that truck I wonder how it got configured like that as it seems to be customized from the factory. Did you ever do a VIN search and try and find out. It’s already a real collector truck but maybe it is completely unique. I have never seen the Trailer Special emblem with the 10,000lb marking on it. The sliding back window must have been pretty rare in that year too.

It’s very good to see a truck like this that’s been in the family for all these years.

Very cool.

That’s fantastic Michael. I had no idea we could custom build a vehicle from the factory back then. Seems you had more flexibility as to what and how you wanted it than today that’s for sure.
Yes missing the posi-traction was unfortunate as the truck with the 454 could really use now and then.
Great story on your rare truck.

Today not sure what it is like to order a new vehicle, I doubt very much I will ever be able to do that again or have the desire for new technology. But back then yeah I think a guy had more options as to what he wanted or didn't want. In '79 we bought another new black 1/2 ton, Sierra Classic top of the line, didn't want a radio so dealer just stroked it off the list and it came with a delete plate. I would guess 2day options are packaged, and you have to take what they give you ??

Yes today options are more packaged which makes assembly more efficient. (Cheaper). Like 1LZ - 3LZ, Z07 etc. Corvettes are very much this way and the wife’s new Cadillac was much the same (Although we bought it used the options were made clear both packaged and extras)
There are some specific options we can add to almost all trim levels that go beyond the packaged options and these ones are normally pricey. Well except the smokers package. Lol.
Imagine getting the emissions equipment deleted from the factory today.
:ROFL:

Nothing like the auto boneyard.
My Dad has one too. Haven’t been swamped to many times when needing something for an older vehicle looking out there.
Nice you had the diff for the kid. Looks like it’s in really good shape too.
Ya summer is drive time. Most guys are out enjoying the cars when not working I expect.
I’m stuck on a gas processing ship in Indonesia so my social time includes CCF.... and seeing the nice days at home go by when I could be driving my Z.

So today we are starting a gas compressor that’s been down for a year. Here in the central control room the guys are doing the final preparations to push the go button.
B26EAEC7-2D44-4178-AD70-588E90F03969.jpeg
EA6A520A-0327-4E3E-A903-BB16ED13F662.jpeg
003382C5-CCE3-4696-B8BF-53362A9416FA.jpeg

Same situation here @ddgermann. We have one more day left on this survey, finish the paperwork and head to port for crew change. Then I have about a week off before the next contract. So it looks like my social life will remain on the computer reading about what everyone else is doing and looking at pictures and wishing I could hurry up and win the lottery

Reactions: ddgermann
oh wow ddgermann, that is a long drive from Edmonton to work for you .....:Biggrin:..... can you get me a job there ? , looks easy just sit around and push buttons and watch tv , can a guy throw a line over the side and fish to ?

Yes is a bit of a journey to work. 3 flights, a 3 hour car journey and a boat trip to get onboard. 2 overnights. One in a plane and one in a hotel. Leave home Sunday and arrive onboard Wednesday with the date change flying west. Coming home same travel time but arrive home the same day I left. Haha
You might not be so keen to work here if you saw what the buttons and TVs are controlling, although I just look at it as 1 billion $ PlayStation.

Murray we actually never got it going yet as we got hit with a hell of a storm. Been busy with emergency alarms from fire and gas detection equipment faulting from water Ingres to the instruments.
Its been interesting...
All calm this morning and the damage repaired so we are starting that compressor today.
So that’s “What we did today..”:Biggrin:

......well I was hoping others would add to this thread What they did 2day but looks like eveyone is retired or just out driving there Corvettes !!

Hey Michael... Sorry my friend... I have been away fishing to the coast and busy as all get out since home.... just beginning to catch up and get some time on the forum....So my what I did2day was a bit nondescript compared to what I had been doing since last Thursday....

And yes.... the fishing was great...
DSCN8834.JPG

Hey Michael... Sorry my friend... I have been away fishing to the coast and busy as all get out since home.... just beginning to catch up and get some time on the forum....So my what I did2day was a bit nondescript compared to what I had been doing since last Thursday....

And yes.... the fishing was great...
View attachment 17657
......Eric, holy mackerel , those are the biggest perch I did ever see , wow !!.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread