Featured Thread
I do like this thread. Let's keep it going. I think the problem that most of us may have is that what we do on a daily basis is just not worthy of boring the crap out of people that are cool enough to own Corvettes.

Today I worked on getting some rain barrels set up. My uncle Ray was an avid outdoorsman and was into everything to do with nature, so of course he had several rain barrels. I had to disconnect them last fall, and my aunt asked me to get rid of a bunch of them because she wasn't going to use them. Rather than take them to the dump like she asked, I brought four of them home. Today I decided to do something with them before my wife asks me to get rid of them.

I started with a loose plan to build an elevated table so that I can actually get water out of the barrels without using a pump. Gravity works! A trip to Rona and rifling through their scrap bin piles out front found me enough lumber to make a two-tier table. One for the big trough to go on the bottom, and enough room for two garbage pails on top. A few patio stones that I want to get rid of from the back yard and a bit of fill to level it all, and I have a good solid base to start with.

I jimmied it together and found that my cheap boards were a bit twisted, so it isn't as straight as it ought to be even though I measured everything (hence the spacer), but who cares? I stained it (and a bit of my walkway, oops), and roughed in the plumbing to the evestrough just before the rain started. Installed a couple of valves to allow the top can to drain to the bottom, and out to a watering can, and voila! Let it rain!

Four hours later and it has been raining steady, but light. The top can is full, and the bottom is two-thirds. Already! I just added a second can to the top for extra overflow, but broke my other valve output so now I will have two full cans up top and have to figure out a way to replace that (hard to do when it is full of water) in the daylight. I can't believe these things fill up so fast!

Anybody wanna buy some water?

Attachments

• 20180628_205403.jpg
    20180628_205403.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 11
As of a couple weeks ago we have been test driving a second German Shepherd that Quinn's breeder purchased and bred once but she thinks he may not like female dogs in that way (was that the politically correct terminology?). Bravo is 4 years old and IPO trained, although his training hasn't been kept up due to him being sold several times as breeding stock. He really just wants a home and a family. So after making sure he would bond with us and get along with Quinn and the cats, it now looks like we will be keeping him. He has taken totally to me and also has taken a piece of my heart. So yesterday we went to our breeders and picked up enough panels to put together a 10 by 20 foot run, and we have acquired another dog house but have to pick it up next week. That's my yesterday's what I did and why news.... :Biggrin:

DSCN2165.JPG

As of a couple weeks ago we have been test driving a second German Shepherd that Quinn's breeder purchased and bred once but she thinks he may not like female dogs in that way (was that the politically correct terminology?). Bravo is 4 years old and IPO trained, although his training hasn't been kept up due to him being sold several times as breeding stock. He really just wants a home and a family. So after making sure he would bond with us and get along with Quinn and the cats, it now looks like we will be keeping him. He has taken totally to me and also has taken a piece of my heart. So yesterday we went to our breeders and picked up enough panels to put together a 10 by 20 foot run, and we have acquired another dog house but have to pick it up next week. That's my yesterday's what I did and why news.... :Biggrin:

View attachment 17750
Nice looking dog Eric. And no doubt,going to a home where he’ll be well taken care of and enjoyed.

Lot of ocean out there Derek. How far from land are you?

I’m only 20 Miles offshore. Real close on this gig.

Had a interesting night though. One of the hydraulic pumps on the mooring system holding the tanker we are pumping oil to decide to sieze up and let out its smoke.
Full blown fire alarm just before dinner. Yahoo... not often boring here Eric.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Just looking at your pictures tells the tale that that's not a boring work site Derek. I could see a full fire alarm being quite errrr.... alarming..(pardon the pun)... I worked for a sub contractor when I was a whole lot younger at the Imperial oil refinery in NS. During the first rounds of safety initiations and meetings, the instructor explained the alarms and what they meant and where to muster. I asked him if the plant caught on fire if getting in my truck and getting the hell out of there wasn't a better option.... He basically told me if the refinery blew up, I couldn't drive fast enough to get away from the blast ... Guessing he was laying it on a little thick for this snotnose kid...but was never really sure...Luckily never had to find out. Hoping the same luck for you and everyone else in the industry. :thumbs:

haha, thanks Michael! I was wondering if anyone was going to notice the vice grips! I didn't have a hose clamp, and just hooked that up quick before the rain came. Then when I went to add a barrel later on in the dark, I forgot about those vice grips and that's how I wound up breaking that valve. Ah well, now I have a few things to fix up with the setup, but it is working well so far.

Amazing how the weather can be so dramatically different in Canada. In Ontario it was so hot and humid over the past couple of days it was almost unbearable. Snow on the rock and in some parts of BC. Unreal.

What did U do 2day?
Today was Monday ...
I read this thread ... ... ... ...
I got nothin else :Shy:
... here on one of my favourite sites when the weather sucks ...
Thank you for this thread boys :thumbs:
Some days are tick-tock, tick-tock ...

I changed the oil in the skidsteer, then took the bush bumper off my Ford and painted it... was getting pretty pitted... Today going to paint my driveway gate that hasn't been installed yet. Waiting now for telephone line locates to get done so I can put the gate posts in.

Reactions: ddgermann
... what I did today ...
During my week-long hunt for the hidden hand-out candy ... :Shrug2:
on this day before ... I finally sold a junky Decorative Halloween Novelty on Kijiji for $20.00
and now celebrating at tiny bit less clutter in our basement storage room (no candy joy there).
Wife will get the $20 bill only if she :Rage: notices something is missing ... along with an ...
"oh sorry, I meant to give this to you honey" :Shy:

... until which time it's $20 toward my "winter add-on fund"
with hope of adding another message in the @ddgermann thread ...
Winter Add Ons :joyful:

and the candy hunt continues ... :Watching:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread