Sep 9, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Stingray
Province
ON
I got a flat on a front tire of my 2017 Stingray. The dealer is saying that the sidewall is cracked and is recommending replacement of both front tires. Is it necessary/advisable to replace both tires when the mileage is only around 14K? (I don't do any tracking)

@GCrone Let me know the tire size you need.
A friend of mine popped a left front(?) tire a couple of weeks ago and ended up buying a whole set of tires.
He has the other 3 tires available with 20K on them.
His Vette is a 2019 Grand Sport so the tires may be larger than equipped on a base car.
I think his tires will fit a Z06.

good luck.
graham

Any time I hear "the dealer is saying" the hair on the back of my neck stands up. However, in this case there may be some merit to what they're saying.

The OEM Michelin PSS ZP tires are known to be subject to sidewall cracking if operated in close to freezing temperatures. The soft compound becomes brittle and, under initial load, they are known to crack the sidewalls. If you have driven the vehicle in near freezing conditions this may well be the case. The thing is, if the fronts show sidewall cracking, due to cold, it's almost certain that the rears would as well and, if so, the entire set should be replaced. This is where my suspicion of the dealer comes into play. If it were me, I would have all 4 tires checked by a reputable, trusted tire professional. Someone who is experienced with those specific tires. They will be able to tell you if the cracks are surface only, and are simply a result of natural aging, or if they are deep and structural in nature (cold cracking). If they are just surface cracks there's no need to replace them.

If your flat is a result of of a puncture in the tread section and less than 1/4" it can be successfully repaired with a proper plug/patch. If the damage is within the sidewall section it must be replaced. Again, a professional, high performance tire shop is your best bet.

The direct answer to your question is - if the sidewalls are cracked due to cold damage then yes, replace at least the 2 fronts if not all 4 tires. If the cracks are due to light, aged surface cracking you can replace or repair the punctured tire only.

Unfortunately, nascar03's offer won't help you as the GS tires will not fit your Stingray.

Best of luck
Ross

Reactions: nascar03
Any time I hear "the dealer is saying" the hair on the back of my neck stands up. However, in this case there may be some merit to what they're saying.

The OEM Michelin PSS ZP tires are known to be subject to sidewall cracking if operated in close to freezing temperatures. The soft compound becomes brittle and, under initial load, they are known to crack the sidewalls. If you have driven the vehicle in near freezing conditions this may well be the case. The thing is, if the fronts show sidewall cracking, due to cold, it's almost certain that the rears would as well and, if so, the entire set should be replaced. This is where my suspicion of the dealer comes into play. If it were me, I would have all 4 tires checked by a reputable, trusted tire professional. Someone who is experienced with those specific tires. They will be able to tell you if the cracks are surface only, and are simply a result of natural aging, or if they are deep and structural in nature (cold cracking). If they are just surface cracks there's no need to replace them.

If your flat is a result of of a puncture in the tread section and less than 1/4" it can be successfully repaired with a proper plug/patch. If the damage is within the sidewall section it must be replaced. Again, a professional, high performance tire shop is your best bet.

The direct answer to your question is - if the sidewalls are cracked due to cold damage then yes, replace at least the 2 fronts if not all 4 tires. If the cracks are due to light, aged surface cracking you can replace or repair the punctured tire only.

Unfortunately, nascar03's offer won't help you as the GS tires will not fit your Stingray.

Best of luck
Ross
Thanks Ross!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.