GF's car need new summer tires. I purchased a new set of alloy wheels for her car to put new tires on. I know the tire brand and size I want to run on her car and after calling my usual tire dealer I mentioned the tires I want them to get for me should have the latest possible DOT codes (I'm thinking mid to late 2023 into early 2024).

They got a set in from his supplier and they have a DOT code of 3822 (38th week of 2022 which is late Sept of that year production).

Do you think that is too old a tire to be new, mounted and used on her car? I mean by the time summer rolls around this year those "new" tires will be pushing 2 years old before you even put any real mileage on them. What do you all think?

GF's car need new summer tires. I purchased a new set of alloy wheels for her car to put new tires on. I know the tire brand and size I want to run on her car and after calling my usual tire dealer I mentioned the tires I want them to get for me should have the latest possible DOT codes (I'm thinking mid to late 2023 into early 2024).

They got a set in from his supplier and they have a DOT code of 3822 (38th week of 2022 which is late Sept of that year production).

Do you think that is too old a tire to be new, mounted and used on her car? I mean by the time summer rolls around this year those "new" tires will be pushing 2 years old before you even put any real mileage on them. What do you all think?
Other than use the main thing that breaks down tire compound is UV . As long as they were out of the sun which they no doubt were as Murray mentioned ,then no problem .

I wouldn't pay new prices for 1.5 year old tires. It depends how much she drives though. If the tires are going to wear out in 4 years anyways, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't drive much, and you'll end up replacing them due to old age, then you just gave away 1.5 years of tire life.

For What It's Worth - I've never 'asked' a tire shop for new tires, but I've always checked them when I get them, and I never remember receiving tires older than 6 months old.

Reactions: OL Yeller

Personally I think the projected life of tires is based more on selling more tires than anything. I have 9 year old tires on my C7 that other than minor tread wear look and perform like new. But my Vette is always garaged when not on the road which I think makes a difference. The sun's UV rays breaking down the tires is likely the worst enemy for tire life and this shows up starting with surface cracking in the sidewalls. I have a flat deck trailer with 20 year old tires that look new but it is stored inside as well. If your car sits out in the sun all the time, I agree. The rubber will break down faster but the date stamp on a new tire doesn't mean a lot to me. Right or wrong, this is just my opinion. JMO.

I think if you use a tire that is popular in sizing your chances of getting fairly new DOT codes are much better. The sizing I need for the GF's car going +1 sizing from OE is a 235/50/17 which is an odd size.

My tire guy got a different manufacture of tire in that I had decided to try but the DOT is even worse 50th week of 2021 that's even older than the earlier tires. After talking with her we're going with the first choice (which is an Indy 500 Firehawk).

Back around Nov. I needed a new set of tires for winter on my DD. I got them from Quattro tire and when they came in the DOT codes were mid Oct. 2023 so they were only like a month old or so.

I'm kinda glad that the weather here in Toronto still sucks the big one as she is still driving on her snows. I decided to take the Sept of 22 Firehawks then I get the good news from my tire guy that he doesn't have a full set. 3 of them are those DOT codes and he has ordered in 3 tires separately that all came in with 2019 codes.

I told him in no uncertain terms that I am not buying 4 tires with 3 already kinda old (in my eyes but will accept) and 1 another 3 years older. The weather is getting warmer after this weekend and I really don't want her driving too much into the warmth on snow tires. I'm almost tempted to tell him forget it and get 4 elsewhere (hopefully with better DOT codes) but he is giving me a pretty good price mounted and balanced.

BTW, this is the same retailer I bought my Apex wheels from for the ZR, also the Continental tires on those wheels, 1 Konig wheel to replace a badly curbed one for my daily and another set of Konig wheels for her car (which these tires are supposed to go on) so I really think I should get the freshest tires possible.

Tony

I'm kinda glad that the weather here in Toronto still sucks the big one as she is still driving on her snows. I decided to take the Sept of 22 Firehawks then I get the good news from my tire guy that he doesn't have a full set. 3 of them are those DOT codes and he has ordered in 3 tires separately that all came in with 2019 codes.

I told him in no uncertain terms that I am not buying 4 tires with 3 already kinda old (in my eyes but will accept) and 1 another 3 years older. The weather is getting warmer after this weekend and I really don't want her driving too much into the warmth on snow tires. I'm almost tempted to tell him forget it and get 4 elsewhere (hopefully with better DOT codes) but he is giving me a pretty good price mounted and balanced.

BTW, this is the same retailer I bought my Apex wheels from for the ZR, also the Continental tires on those wheels, 1 Konig wheel to replace a badly curbed one for my daily and another set of Konig wheels for her car (which these tires are supposed to go on) so I really think I should get the freshest tires possible.

Tony
I kind of think you are nit picking. Heck we leave the snows on the beater all year and drive it when it's raining otherwise we drive the Vette.
Anyway, you must do what you feel is right.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I kind of think you are nit picking. Heck we leave the snows on the beater all year and drive it when it's raining otherwise we drive the Vette.
Anyway, you must do what you feel is right.
Agree. None of my trucks or SUV's get tire changes. They run mud and snows year round and I get 50,000 to 70,000 km before they need changing. Especially if you rotate your tires regularly.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Snow tires are for snow. This winter in the GTA there was barely any white stuff. Her snows are pushing 7 years old already and she wants to get another year or 2 on them before replacement time. Since she is footing the bill on the summers (I got the wheels) she and I don't want to run the snows any longer than necessary.

I tried to sell her on all weather tires in place of dedicated snow tires but she doesn't want to go that route. I run all weather tires on my SX4 for winter but can use them all year if I want but this weekend my new summer wheels and tires go on my daily.