Has anyone gone with “ conventional “ non run flat tires at or before replacement time ? I realize not carrying a spare could be an issue obviously but personally I haven’t had a flat in many years. Knock wood. The run flat stock tires are z rated but few drive at those speeds unless tracking the car .
Low profile tires are much more susceptible to damage from potholes, but ya, I carried those donut tires for years but always called CAA when I got a flat anyway.

Low profile tires are much more susceptible to damage from potholes, but ya, I carried those donut tires for years but always called CAA when I got a flat anyway.
So you can get those “ mini me “ spares with the right bolt pattern and height for the c8 ? If you do get damage to a run flat 150 km from civilization you’re in a bit of a pickle.

So you can get those “ mini me “ spares with the right bolt pattern and height for the c8 ? If you do get damage to a run flat 150 km from civilization you’re in a bit of a pickle.
Not possible for me. lol. It was my Camaro BTW.

always carry a tire repair kit, plugs and foam just in case....with a small compressor. I've been saved by run flat in past.
Agreed but if you get a slice in one which could happen even with the thicker tread and sidewall then an actual tire would be preferable perhaps. Problem of course being the limited storage space in a c8 .

Drove for a couple of weeks like this. Bent rim and all.

1706309886712.png

• Wow
Reactions: Bunny hop
We had a member on CCF sometime ago. He was selling flat repair emergency kits that worked really well. I bought a few of them for backup and must say they were impressive. Sorry I cannot recall the brand name but the kit included a tool for reaming the puncture and installing the plug(s), some adhesive and plugs.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette
We had a member on CCF sometime ago. He was selling flat repair emergency kits that worked really well. I bought a few of them for backup and must say they were impressive. Sorry I cannot recall the brand name but the kit included a tool for reaming the puncture and installing the plug(s), some adhesive and plugs.
I have seen this before and they are a really good idea but of course it depends on the type of damage.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I bought this kit also. Bryan was is first name but can remember is avatar name. About the spare tire with 2 differents tire size is not possible

Has anyone gone with “ conventional “ non run flat tires at or before replacement time ? I realize not carrying a spare could be an issue obviously but personally I haven’t had a flat in many years. Knock wood. The run flat stock tires are z rated but few drive at those speeds unless tracking the car .
I did that on my C5...figuring I would call CAA to tow it anyway. Never had a flat in all the time I had them after that...7 or 8 years. I'll reassess the same when the factory tires on my C7 need replacing...only have 13K kms on them after 4.5 years so far. Back then run flats were double the price of conventional tires...that's the main reason I went that route. Not sure what the price differential is now.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is going from summer tires to all season...I don't track my car...and the extra traction they gave the C5 in wet weather was amazing.

I did that on my C5...figuring I would call CAA to tow it anyway. Never had a flat in all the time I had them after that...7 or 8 years. I'll reassess the same when the factory tires on my C7 need replacing...only have 13K kms on them after 4.5 years so far. Back then run flats were double the price of conventional tires...that's the main reason I went that route. Not sure what the price differential is now.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is going from summer tires to all season...I don't track my car...and the extra traction they gave the C5 in wet weather was amazing.
Thanks. I recently saw a quote for one all season stock tire at $900 + . Owch .

Thanks. I recently saw a quote for one all season stock tire at $900 + . Owch .
Ouch indeeed :cool: I remember paying $1,500 for the set of 4x all season non-run flats for the C5...mind you that was a dozen years ago...at the time a set of similar run flats was $3,000 in comparison.

• Wow
Reactions: 1st Vette
Ouch indeeed :cool: I remember paying $1,500 for the set of 4x all season non-run flats for the C5...mind you that was a dozen years ago...at the time a set of similar run flats was $3,000 in comparison.
You certainly pay for exclusivity. Not many mainstream vehicles utilize them . Apparently, according to GM , these tires were designed specifically for the c8 . Not many vehicles that you will pay $1,000 dollars to replace the transmission filter either. OMG what have I done!!! lol .

Reactions: rfh928
Hookers used to be a lot less expensive back then as well.… headers that is .