Aug 10, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
G87 in transit
Province
ON
Trying to figure out what makes more sense, tinting the rear cabin glass or the engine glass... or both?!

Glare is definitely an issue, but I think tinting both would make it impossible to see out the rear video mirror. Has anyone tinted their C8 and if so, what configuration did you go for?

I'd tint both with a nano tech ceramic window tint like Xpel Prime XR as will stop all UV and a great deal of Infrared heat. Then put some ceramic coating on the engine bay windows to stop any mineral deposits from baking onto the film. I'd also suggest doing your side windows and front windshield as well to keep the interior far cooler and again protect from UV.

I'd tint both with a nano tech ceramic window tint like Xpel Prime XR as will stop all UV and a great deal of Infrared heat. Then put some ceramic coating on the engine bay windows to stop any mineral deposits from baking onto the film. I'd also suggest doing your side windows and front windshield as well to keep the interior far cooler and again protect from UV.

Tell your side window thing to the police. I paid to install it in Alberta, got the $150 ticket in Sask, Paid to remove it before the required RCMP inspection in Alberta... then said to hell with it. Not paying again to put it back in Alberta where it is not legal either.

• Clever
Reactions: Riley P
Tell your side window thing to the police. I paid to install it in Alberta, got the $150 ticket in Sask, Paid to remove it before the required RCMP inspection in Alberta... then said to hell with it. Not paying again to put it back in Alberta where it is not legal either.

Darn pirates eh.... Sorry to hear that. Fortunately with the 70-80% tint, its so light we've never had anyone get a ticket for it although could happen of course. The 80% literally looks like any normal window on a modern car =)

Reactions: ddgermann
Darn pirates eh.... Sorry to hear that. Fortunately with the 70-80% tint, its so light we've never had anyone get a ticket for it although could happen of course. The 80% literally looks like any normal window on a modern car =)

Understood. That is what the last shop told me. And to be fair the tint was quite light. You could see in the side windows with no trouble at all. I only limo tinted the rear hatch glass. (which was fine) The side windows were never looked at twice by a few members of the police service in YEG that used to stop me to look at the car now and then. Never once got a ticket of any kind from those guys and gals. Although I wasn't doing anything wrong either... smoke naturally comes off Z06 tires.
There is a big thread here on this subject a year ago and likely one every year before. There are a few reasons the police provide for the driver and front passenger windows not to be film tinted in any way. I expect you have heard those too.

Anyway... all good and it looks like you do some fine work over there.
All the best. D

I'm doing the side windows on my vert probably 15% like all my other cars. You should also do the rear cabin glass but I wouldn't do the engine bay window for two reasons. I don't think its necessary there and the bigger thing is that's one big plus for the coupes... being able to see the engine.

I'm doing the side windows on my vert probably 15% like all my other cars. You should also do the rear cabin glass but I wouldn't do the engine bay window for two reasons. I don't think its necessary there and the bigger thing is that's one big plus for the coupes... being able to see the engine.

It seemed to me the glass over the engine has a decent amount of tint to it already. But maybe that is just my impression from photos. I have not seen a car in person yet.

What? No C8's in Pattaya yet Derek?.....lol....

Not yet. But I see the odd Mustang and GTR cruising around. I have not seen a car or truck here without full dark tint on all the windows. Sometimes even the windshields. They do it for the heat here but I remember well in Rio, all glass was tinted out to keep anyone from seeing you in the car. Banditos everywhere looking for prey.

Dark tint is also dangerous for pedestrians and other drivers. I look inside the cars that are around me to see what they are doing. Are they texting? I've seen people reading the newspaper while driving. I was so shocked I dropped my razor in my coffee. ;)
Seriously as a pedestrian I also watch to see a drivers face as he's turning to make sure he sees me. I have been hit before.

Dark tint is also dangerous for pedestrians and other drivers. I look inside the cars that are around me to see what they are doing. Are they texting? I've seen people reading the newspaper while driving. I was so shocked I dropped my razor in my coffee. ;)
Seriously as a pedestrian I also watch to see a drivers face as he's turning to make sure he sees me. I have been hit before.
That is an excellent point. I never really thought of that. I do watch drivers much more when I’m on my motorcycle, as it’s good to know what they are doing and looking at.

I have everything tinted other than the windshield, head and tail lights. Back sides, rear glass, side markers and tail markers are all limo, drivers and passenger glass are 35%. It does look good and haven't had any hassle from the law yet, but I try not to attract a lot of attention either.

Reactions: Sparro
I have everything tinted other than the windshield, head and tail lights. Back sides, rear glass, side markers and tail markers are all limo, drivers and passenger glass are 35%. It does look good and haven't had any hassle from the law yet, but I try not to attract a lot of attention either.
How many pedestrians have you run over? ;)

How many pedestrians have you run over? ;)
Only the ones stupid or drunk/high enough to cross against a light or dart out from parked cars halfway down a block. lol... Honestly have never run over or even came close to anyone, although some have deserved it, and i have run tinted on my daily drivers for 25 years. If you are careful enough to look at a driver's eyes, you should be careful enough not to step out and take a chance of being hit by a car, whether you see their eyes or not. If I'm walking and am not sure if a car is going to stop or not, I will wait until they either come to a complete stop or go by. If defensive walking was taken as seriously as defensive driving, there would be way less pedestrian accidents. JMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.