Not sure about AB, but Sask's legislation only prohibits films on the front windows. Reasoning given behind this is the glass won't break if the door doesn't open after an accident. Firefighters will have to use a grinder kind of saw which could take a lot longer to get people out of a burning or submerged vehicle.

That being said, in Sask, smoked windows are totally legal. They're just a bit pricey.
l lived in BC for 17 years and if you had dark windows you would not make it 100 miles before getting jacked up by the Man

Just wanted to update everyone, I got my C8 tinted a few days ago. Went for 25% ceramic's from suntek and it makes the car look SO much better, especially with my black wheels and roof. Did not tint the back engine glass as the tint shop owner said it would melt right off over time and I also didn't touch the glass behind the cabin as I want to see out of it (1LT C8). Attached is a photo of how it looks.

In Ontario, cars newer than 2017 need to let at least 70% light in, meaning my car is deemed "illegal" by 5%. If I get pulled over I'll simply say it's 30% and I should be fine as Ontario doesn't have measuring devices like in Quebec. I've driven with no front plate for years so being a bit dark on tints doesn't bother me too much. Wish me luck! LOL

Attachments

• tT-3_wjA.jpg large.jpg
    tT-3_wjA.jpg large.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 38
Beautiful! That looks good. I may tint my windows again at some point in the future. They were 35% when I bought the car, 5 years later and I got a ticket. I really liked how the interior stayed cooler, and I never did feel like I could not see out of the car.

Looks great with the tint. Has the fuzz every said anything to you about running no front plate? Do you keep it in the windshield?
You can get a ticket for keeping the front plate on the dash, by the windshield. The HTA states it must be visible on the front most part of the vehicle. I believe there is a previous thread about this somewhere in the forum. I hate the way the front plate makes the car look. My friend just received his Ferrari Pista and he has a front plate. Takes so much away from the car.

Looks great with the tint. Has the fuzz every said anything to you about running no front plate? Do you keep it in the windshield?
On my M2 I drove for 2 years without a front plate and didn't have any troubles, pulled over twice as well and they didn't notice. On the C8 I have my plate on the front windshield dash area

Reactions: ABC
Never said you would not get stopped, but you won't get billed for smoked windows, in Sask.

Have you actually look at your own government website?

Here is a copy of what I received. Fine was $150. Paid online after having the inspection to verify the tint was removed.
Tint ticket.jpeg

Tint Tic 2.jpeg

Reactions: YFCvii
Have you actually look at your own government website?

Here is a copy of what I received. Fine was $150. Paid online after having the inspection to verify the tint was removed. [...]

No I haven't read the website. It is quite irrelevant in court anyway.

Yes, you got a ticket & inspection ticket for window tint as it is not legal. You had an aftermarket film applied on the window. This is asking for trouble.

Smoked windows.... no problem. Speaking from experience.

Saskatchewan Vehicle Equipment Regulations said:
66(1) The vehicle shall have at least two side windows or openings that are located
on either side of the driver so that the driver has a clear view to the sides.
(2) If the side openings are fitted with glass, the glass shall conform to ANSI
type AS-1, AS-2, AS-10 or AS-11.
(3) The glass shall not have coatings of sunscreen or reflective material other than
that applied by the glass manufacturer.

(4) Glass installed in passenger compartment windows, other than those described
in subsection (1), shall conform to ANSI AS 1 to AS 12 or be DOT approved and be
safety glass.

It is subtle and not well known, but it's there.

EDIT: Rumor is there are ongoing talks on changing the legislation to allow aftermarkets films as well. Not sure when or if that will happen though.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: ddgermann
No I haven't read the website. It is quite irrelevant in court anyway.

Yes, you got a ticket & inspection ticket for window tint as it is not legal. You had an aftermarket film applied on the window. This is asking for trouble.

Smoked windows.... no problem. Speaking from experience.

It is subtle and not well known, but it's there.

EDIT: Rumor is there are ongoing talks on changing the legislation to allow aftermarkets films as well. Not sure when or if that will happen though.

Seriously you are talking about factory window tint? Everyone knows that factory tint with no film is ok.

OK you're the man... We all bow down to you. Well everyone but me possibly. Wow what a waste of time.

Seriously you are talking about factory window tint? Everyone knows that factory tint with no film is ok.

OK you're the man... We all bow down to you. Well everyone but me possibly. Wow what a waste of time.

Yes factory tint is ok. However, it doesn't have to be the car's manufacturer. It can be aftermarket windows with a darker shade. This is the solution I wanted to point out. This is why I wrote down in my previous post that they are pricey. Not asking for anybody to bow in front of me, I am just showing an alternative. I thought this was clear and assumed that everybody knew a smoked window was not a window tinted with a film. Sorry you did not get it. I'll try to be clearer in my next posts.

Please let's try to avoid the passive-aggressiveness. It doesn't do anybody any favour.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Yes factory tint is ok. However, it doesn't have to be the car's manufacturer. It can be aftermarket windows with a darker shade. This is the solution I wanted to point out. This is why I wrote down in my previous post that they are pricey. Not asking for anybody to bow in front of me, I am just showing an alternative. I thought this was clear and assumed that everybody knew a smoked window was not a window tinted with a film. Sorry you did not get it. I'll try to be clearer in my next posts.

Please let's try to avoid the passive-aggressiveness. It doesn't do anybody any favour.

Yes please be more clear. And the passive-aggressive comment was out of line. I am straight up.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Yes, I agree. I was just trying to avoid ruffling feathers. I shall edit my post to "straight up aggressiveness". 😂

No worries @Kev

Neither one of us is good at not ruffling feathers. But that's ok. It has been a fun discussion and certainly not intended to be personal. The glory of the internet... everyone can be Chuck Norris.

That is not us.

All good

Reactions: Kev
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.