YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Hi y'all !!
Well here comes what seems to be this year's (annual) inquiry on Detailing Advice. I am a cheap a$$ DIY'er.
I am persnickety for Excellence because I know Perfection can take a lot of time. I will pay $$$ for a product but prefer to do the work myself. As I pass Canadian Tire's Car Detailing Section I see new items from time to time ... I do get stuck on my favorites but I am always open to what others have found working for them. As I break into our Corvette Meet & Greets this year as a greenhorn, I am ready to get to work on my Stingray ... so here I go ...

Asking if I (we all) can gain advice from our Detailers out there who are either DIY'ers or Professional or have used Professional Services and discovered awesome product results. I know there is one product that I am going to check out that we all discovered from our New Corvette Owner-Friend, Toxix. That being the Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

1. I am curious as to whether a cleaner should be used before a Product like Ultima Interior Guard Plus is applied. What might be best to use as a cleaner? I have Leather and Perforated Leather in not just my New Corvette but also my 2 GMC's. (I have 3LT suede interior also)

2. I have been hooked on Mother's Ultimate Pure Brazilian Carnauba Exterior Wax (smells awesome) but am open to suggestion here too.

3. I have found success using Exterior "Back to Black" for those bumper running board caps along with the splash guards and front air deflectors. Maybe there is something else to try.

4. Wheels and Tires have always been a struggle for me. Painted Wheels are still open for me on a product. Chrome Wheels might be a no-brainer. But what the heck has others found that works best on tires?

5. I also have Weather Tech Mats in my Corvette (and in my GMC's). I know Armor All is a no-no unless you drive while wearing ice-skates. So this might be a reach finding advice on the mats (just so that I can get the dirt-look gone).

6. I use the GM Glass Cleaner and pay through the nose for it. Maybe there is a product that can be shared that works just as well without the hit in the back pocket.

Even though some reading this may not be able to offer advice, feel free to add to this with more questions as it is my hope to create this all-in-one thread with a lot of advice in regard to Detailing. I trust Toxix will have a few things to add as many of us do agree, his Mustang looked absolutely awesome and we can only wait to see his new pictures of his newly unwrapped & detailed 2017 Corvette Grand Sport (complete with Dog Ears)! There is of course many a Corvette Owners who have already posted awesome views of their rocket-ship love-affairs ... so here's hoping I can steal a few of those secrets ...

Thanks in Advance & Cheers !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
These kind of threads are my favorite, I love it.
I'd definitely be happy to help and offer advice to anyone who needs help with anything detail related. I've been doing it for many, many years and I found that being honest and not so loyal to one or any brand is the best way to go.
Granted, I do have my favorites that I stand by but these products have proven themselves to me time and time again.

Please see my answers in red below

1. I am curious as to whether a cleaner should be used before a Product like Ultima Interior Guard Plus is applied. What might be best to use as a cleaner? I have Leather and Perforated Leather in not just my New Corvette but also my 2 GMC's. (I have 3LT suede interior also)
I'm glad you took me up on my recommendation for Ultima Interior Guard Plus - Any DILUTED All Purpose Cleaner works as a basic interior wipe down. One of my favorite interior wipe down products is Optimum Power Clean, Diluted 10:1 - Does a solid job cleaning and preparing for interior conditioner or sealant. Simple Green 10:1 will do the trick as well. If you don't have an APC, warm water and a microfiber towel will do the trick. This is enough prep for application of Ultima Interior Guard Plus

2. I have been hooked on Mother's Ultimate Pure Brazilian Carnauba Exterior Wax (smells awesome) but am open to suggestion here too.
The Mother's Line is OK at best. Now that my detail shop is fully up and running, I plan on opening a store offering some of the top of line waxes, sealants and products that will be branded and labeled by Toxix Detailing. When I have the store up and running, I will reach out to you. Top of the line shampoos, detail sprays, waxes, sealants and other products will be available. But if you are looking for something immediately consider Optimum OptiSeal, Menzerna Powerlock, Duragloss 111, Pinnacle Black Label Sealant. Now, if you're after one of the best show car shine's out there, I've found Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax to provide an amazing finish, but the durability is OK at best. If you plan on waxing your car once a month, I would suggest this. Its also very easy to apply

3. I have found success using Exterior "Back to Black" for those bumper running board caps along with the splash guards and front air deflectors. Maybe there is something else to try.
This one is a common question, if you're asking about anything related to plastic/trim shine or tire shine, one of my favorites is CarPro PERL and Poor Boys Bold and Bright (non-gel version). One of my other favorites is Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant; All the products listed here will easily outlast Back to Black

4. Wheels and Tires have always been a struggle for me. Painted Wheels are still open for me on a product. Chrome Wheels might be a no-brainer. But what the heck has others found that works best on tires?
For tires, refer to the response in question 3. These are all tire safe. If you're asking about wheels, I like Sonax Wheel Cleaner (its the only product I like from them) - Pair those with some Wheel Woolies brushes and you're good to go.

5. I also have Weather Tech Mats in my Corvette (and in my GMC's). I know Armor All is a no-no unless you drive while wearing ice-skates. So this might be a reach finding advice on the mats (just so that I can get the dirt-look gone).
You can use CarPro DLUX, CarPro PEARL, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or Poorboy's Bold and Bright (Non Gel) on Weathertech Mats although I wouldn't recommend it; Likely only if you are driving an automatic. I would not suggest it on a stick car as it tend to make things a bit slippery for the first few weeks post application. I avoid using Ultima Interior Guard Plus on my mats, steering wheel and shift knob as it just makes things a bit too slick (not greasy)

6. I use the GM Glass Cleaner and pay through the nose for it. Maybe there is a product that can be shared that works just as well without the hit in the back pocket.
Save your money on this and go for Stoner's Glass Cleaner - I find it to be one of the best, most cost effective glass cleaners in the market. I prefer the non-aerosol ones, the bottled versions with the trigger spray are more controlled and less air-borne if you will. This product is available at Canadian Tire for less than $10.00

I'd be happy to answer any other questions and share my experiences.

Just a quick question on your thoughts about Zaino. I have a box of it that I have to crack open but haven't used. Is it all it's cracked up to be or are there better waxes/sealants out there? I'm looking for something that gives a good shine but I only need to do at the start of the season.

Just a quick question on your thoughts about Zaino. I have a box of it that I have to crack open but haven't used. Is it all it's cracked up to be or are there better waxes/sealants out there? I'm looking for something that gives a good shine but I only need to do at the start of the season.

I have probably spent the good part of 3 years using the entire Zaino system from Z2, Z3, Z5, ZPC, ZCS all with the ZFX concoction.

Their product is great but dated but I suppose they live by the "if it ain't broke" system.

What products from Zaino do you have? I'd be happy to give you my feedback on it. Also, how long have you had it for.

I have the Z7 car wash, Z6 ultra clean, Z16 tire gloss. Z9 and Z10 for leather, Z2 polish, Z5 polish and lastly the Z18 claybar. Plus some mixing bottles with a small vile of Zfx accelerator?
I've had the product for a couple years. As dumb as it sounds, I didn't want to get into the Zaino system as I didn't have a garage and didn't want to put the work into the paint when the car just sat outside with a cover on when parked. The paint has never been waxed, but still beads but needs work as It feels rough when sliding your fingers over it.

Quick question or two or three or so about clay bars.
How often should I clay? I do it religiously at the start of the year when the weather warms up enough.
Speaking of which, how warm does the surface actually have to be? I usually do it in my garage out of the sun so it takes a bit to warm the interior of the garage in the spring
Out of curiosity, when do you know to get a new bar?
Any tips on using clay?

Reactions: Riley P

Everyone on this forum.... if you hate cleaning your inside windshield and hate streaks after cleaning it..... get this.........

Misc Glass Master Pro Cleaner | Auto Obsessed™

it is amazing.......you can get way down to the tight front inside area of a vettes windshield.

Don't use too much glass cleaner ( yes, get Stoner from CN Tire, Costco or where ever )

I would pay $100 for this item...... I actually bought two to have a second in case they ever stop selling them

I let Paul M ( Rocky PM ) used it at a Camrose car show we went to and he said my windshield has never ever been this clean.
He wanted one and got him one and Jeffer2013 got one too.

Last edited:
I have tried Zaino... kinda annoying to use.

P21S 100% carnuba I like better...... you can get it from the same Auto Obsessed site...... stop in.. it is a detailers playground inside.

P21S is not a long term wax .... more for sports cars you drive now and then.

I also got some $275 wax from this place..... used it on my Mustang... not sure if I did the ZR1 with it last summer. I guess this is not for a cheapa$$ budget though... ( first line in this thread ) haha ;)

"I have the Z7 car wash, Z6 ultra clean, Z16 tire gloss. Z9 and Z10 for leather, Z2 polish, Z5 polish and lastly the Z18 claybar. Plus some mixing bottles with a small vile of Zfx accelerator?
I've had the product for a couple years. As dumb as it sounds, I didn't want to get into the Zaino system as I didn't have a garage and didn't want to put the work into the paint when the car just sat outside with a cover on when parked. The paint has never been waxed, but still beads but needs work as It feels rough when sliding your fingers over it."

My personal opinion on this one is to use the product, you spent the money, why not use it. If you've had it sitting for 5+ years, I would just toss it at that point. Start off by giving it a good clay, but be gentle because in most cases, claying will lead to minor scratching or marring. I almost always follow up with a polish after claying.
Whether the car is sitting outside or inside, doesn't matter, the paint should always be protected; Even more so if its sitting outside. The reason the paint feels rough to the touch is because it has built up some fallout on the surfaces which can easily be remedied by proper claying.

My daily driver is a 2017 Explorer Sport and I just got finished detailing it. Full wash, clay bar and 2 heavy coats of sealant, glass too was coated as well as all the plastic. Its done for the year, more time to focus on the Vette.

Side note about Zaino Z2 and Z5, they call it a polish but there are no abrasives in it and very little to no fillers in it as well. Both are sealants, not polishes.
Z16 is a great tire shine but leaves a bit to be desired in the durability area. It looks great and finishes great but I found that it just doesn't last.
Z9 and Z10 Leather Combo - One of my favorites for applying on leather interiors.

How often should I clay? I do it religiously at the start of the year when the weather warms up enough.
On a daily driver or a vehicle that is parked outside, once a year is just enough.
On a garage queen, parked inside at all times, driven less than 5000km a year, you can get away with claying once every two years.

Speaking of which, how warm does the surface actually have to be? I usually do it in my garage out of the sun so it takes a bit to warm the interior of the garage in the spring
For claying? I've clayed on very cold surfaces, I've clayed on warm surfaces; Easiest way to put it is to make sure the paint is cool to the touch. In the shade is where its best to be clayed. Keeping it in the shade and away from the sun allows for more lubrication on the paint without it quickly drying off.

Out of curiosity, when do you know to get a new bar?
If you drop the clay bar, throw it out. Non-negotiable.
Most clay bar kits provide clay that is fairly large and that can be split in half. After one full claying, I toss the claybar or the half out. No sense in saving it to save a few bucks. They generally get very contaminated after first use.

Any tips on using clay?
- Wash the vehicle first, don't bother drying it
- Rinse after claying
- Lots of clay lubricant! You can use soap and water or a detail spray. Just make sure you're using enough.
- Before claying, soften up the clay a little bit. This can be done by putting the wrapped piece of clay in your pocket for 10-15 minutes (presumably while you wash the car). This will make it a bit warmer and softer.

Great directions Toxix...Correct me if I'm wrong but I will add a couple of helpful thoughts from my experience with clay barring.... Lubricant, Lubricant, Lubricant. Can't say that enough... Back and forth movement only... no circular motion... almost no pressure at all on the clay bar... It should always glide easily on a layer of lubricant (I use lots and lots of Meguiars detailer as my lubricant)... And finally, work with one side of the clay only... when it becomes contaminated... and it will, fold it in half so the contaminated side is now the inside and continue with the clean side... And as Toxix said... when that gets contaminated, throw it away... a dirty clay bar will scratch the hell out of your car...

For wax, I use Mequiars Ultimate Hydrophobic Liquid wax. It's a synthetic and call me lazy but there's no white residue left at the edges of your Xpel or on any of the trim edges or CF edges when you get too close to those areas... For me, this wax gives a great shine, is easy to buff and comes back to this shine after every wash. When not on the road, my car is always garaged and if I can help it, it doesn't get rained on a lot so I wax in February and the wax and the shine will look like this for the whole season. FYI, this is not a manipulated picture and was taken with my phone.

IMG_20170219_163111.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_11-42-37.png
    upload_2017-4-25_11-42-37.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Everything you listed is correct. I don't take the whole circular motion only thing too seriously but to each their own. As long your car is clean and as long as you're being thorough.
Whether we like it or not, synethetic products are the way. Synthetic polymer sealants are far more durable than your traditional wax; I can't remember the last time I actually applied a wax on my car. I've been going for sealants for years now.

Car is looking good!

... so this nuisance spring snow does not bring out the best in me ...
... a question from left field ... :angelic:
Is there a "fresh from the factory" scented product other than the 2017 "starting from $64,965" version?
Nothing like opening the door/hatch of my new Corvette and harnessing the aroma is one of those things on my "How I can make a million but ..." List :rolleyes:
(love "opening the Gibson Guitar Case" aroma too) ... what might work for others ??? ...

I swear I can still smell the bean burrito I had last fall. If that works for you I can send you one.:D

Funny how some people are repulsed by the smell of new cars. Seriously I think my car still has a bit of new car smell.

This is an interesting thread.:thumbs:

Yup ... admittedly a thought of mine from out in left field and ...
in a completely different set of Forums I know people would advocate the "wet dog" or the "new baby".
Never thought about the "bean burrito".
I know my fortune with our 2015 GMCs boasting "no aroma" and it's the new 2016 Vette aroma is something I wish I could "bottle" ... :happy:

Our Late Spring DIY Detail is now complete after this past Long Weekend.
We not only did our 2016 Stingray but also our two 2015 Daily Drivers.
One being the Acadia Denali "School Bus" and the other our SLT2 Sierra.
Our neighbors wanted to line up with theirs after we were done ... but ...
I relate this to be like changing diapers in that you really can only do that of your own kid.
I appreciate the advice found on this thread and have to thank TOXIX for the extra detailing advice.
Here's some pictures of our results ... have to show-off the entire fleet
(the GMCs are White Diamond Tricoat color) (the Corvette is Long Beach Red Tricoat color).
Not too bad for a couple of amateurs.
DSC_0010a.jpg

DSC_0003a.jpg

DSC_0005a.jpg

DSC_0010a.jpg

MIKEYSZ06
gotta "spa treatment" today
and not looking that bad at all after 100,000km
(and no 3M on this beauty)
WOW-WOW-WOW
View attachment 8951

Are you sure that's my car? Again,I have to thank Spence and a special " Rhodie " for supplying me with cleaning supplies and time to clean my ride. Thank you very much for your help and assistance this morning. Much appreciated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.