Personally, I like to try new products until I find what suits me the best, and what I have found after using endless products, is that if want protection over gloss go with a sealant, and if you want the car show look, but not as much protection use a high quality wax. I use a Griot's Polisher for the power polishing and buffing, but as for products, I use these:

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss.
Griot's clay bar set.
Menzerna compound (they have different cutting power for your specific needs, swirlmarks, scratches, etc)
Menzerna Super Finish Plus.
Swissvax Scuderia (pricy, but you can beat the gloss, shine or depth)

Like I said I've used several other products, including many sealants and waxes, and this combination is by far my favorite. (For now, anyway, I'll continue to look for better).

Reactions: Toxix and YFCvii
Personally, I like to try new products until I find what suits me the best, and what I have found after using endless products, is that if want protection over gloss go with a sealant, and if you want the car show look, but not as much protection use a high quality wax. I use a Griot's Polisher for the power polishing and buffing, but as for products, I use these:

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss.
Griot's clay bar set.
Menzerna compound (they have different cutting power for your specific needs, swirlmarks, scratches, etc)
Menzerna Super Finish Plus.
Swissvax Scuderia (pricy, but you can beat the gloss, shine or depth)

Like I said I've used several other products, including many sealants and waxes, and this combination is by far my favorite. (For now, anyway, I'll continue to look for better).
@Dub just ran into this post while playing with the mobile app for this forum.

Wanted to bring something to your attention. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss is a stripping soap. Not to be used regularly. It has an active citrus agent that strips any waxes or sealants.

Wanted to bring something to your attention. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss is a stripping soap. Not to be used regularly. It has an active citrus agent that strips any waxes or sealants.

OK, good to know. I use some Dawn before doing a cut polish/wax ... which might you think is better ?

B

OK, good to know. I use some Dawn before doing a cut polish/wax ... which might you think is better ?
B

If you're using Dawn to strip away waxes and sealants it'll get the job done.
One thing I did find is that it did tend to dry out plastics a bit. Not a significant rate but would definitely make a difference if washing weekly.

Aside from the high pH, Dawn has alkaline in it which allows it to strip away waxes and sealants. There are alternative detailing products that do the same thing. Griot's Garage Paint Prep will remove all waxes, sealants and polishing oils allowing the surface to be wax/sealant ready. The cleaning agent again is citrus in this product.

I feel like Dawn does the same job for cheaper. Just don't make it a regular thing.

Thanks Toxic, and yes I'm aware of that, which is why I use it yearly. Like I mentioned I like to continually try new products that come to market, from reputable suppliers, so it's essential to get the previous years products/chemicals removed.

Thanks Toxic, and yes I'm aware of that, which is why I use it yearly. Like I mentioned I like to continually try new products that come to market, from reputable suppliers, so it's essential to get the previous years products/chemicals removed.

Any product favorites Dub? Would love to hear your feedback.

Hey Elton ... Here's one for you.
I launched my Boat this Summer and it stays on a lift in the water.
Found I had nothing better to do one day as I passed by my empty boat trailer.
Decided to get PERL out and do the tires as the wheels are kinda fancy and the tires looked like crap.
Well ...
People walking by my empty boat trailer are now checking it out with one asking me where I got the trailer.
That PERL you recommended is absolutely unreal with this type of reaction.

I have to say for me I like the Menzerna products for compounding and finishing polishes, and Swissvax is by far my favorite wax to date, but in my opinion it's way to expensive for what you get, but a little bit goes a long way. The biggest mistake people make when using wax, is using too much! It doesn't hurt anything, except the pocket book, as it is just a waste if you're using too much each time.
I would love to hear what your fav's are, for your personal vehicles?

Mequiars Ultimate Synthetic wax and Lucas SlickMist for the detail shine... On the older autos, AutoGlym Super resin polish and claybar if required... They seem to work great for me, they don't break the bank and the Mequiars Ulyimate synthetic wax is super user friendly and lasts longer than the non synthetic brands I've tried...IMO

DSCN6274_.JPG

Great thread here. Thanks for sharing.

My C6 is black and while I love the colour, keeping it clean is a PITA. It seems to be an absolute dust magnet and I find the paint very soft. Was thinking about doing a Ceramic Coating. Any thoughts? Can you get good results from home kits?

Also, the front bumper and lower edge of the wheel wells seem to be fading - is this paint wear from road sand and dirt?

Rick

Mequiars Ultimate Synthetic wax and Lucas SlickMist for the detail shine... On the older autos, AutoGlym Super resin polish and claybar if required... They seem to work great for me, they don't break the bank and the Mequiars Ulyimate synthetic wax is super user friendly and lasts longer than the non synthetic brands I've tried...IMO

View attachment 10342
I really like the AutoGlym products, and I'm not sure if you've tried their wax, but I love working with their wax. It's one of the easiest to work with, and when I did my '12 Mustang GT I did 3 coats, and left the 3rd coat on overnight......YES overnight. It came off with no problem at all, and outlasted some more expensive waxes I've used. Btw your car looks great, very nice pic!

Hey Elton ... Here's one for you.
I launched my Boat this Summer and it stays on a lift in the water.
Found I had nothing better to do one day as I passed by my empty boat trailer.
Decided to get PERL out and do the tires as the wheels are kinda fancy and the tires looked like crap.
Well ...
People walking by my empty boat trailer are now checking it out with one asking me where I got the trailer.
That PERL you recommended is absolutely unreal with this type of reaction.

Hey Spence,

This is good news, I'm happy you're liking PERL. Its a great product. You can also consider Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. I use this as much as I use PERL, if not more. Consider this to be a bit more of a gel rather than a water based product such as PERL. It goes on thick, ends up being really shiny but dries up real good and turns the greasy look into a nice sheen. I've used this product much like PERL on tires, engine bays, plastics, etc.

Friendly reminder to clean, degrease and scrub all plastic and tire surfaces prior to applying a sealant/plastic protecant such as CarPro PERL, CarPro DLUX or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

I have to say for me I like the Menzerna products for compounding and finishing polishes, and Swissvax is by far my favorite wax to date, but in my opinion it's way to expensive for what you get, but a little bit goes a long way. The biggest mistake people make when using wax, is using too much! It doesn't hurt anything, except the pocket book, as it is just a waste if you're using too much each time.
I would love to hear what your fav's are, for your personal vehicles?

Menzerna is on top of my list as well followed closely by HD Detailing Products.
Menzerna's compounds and polishes are my go-to products on my cars and clients cars alike. When I find some neglected cars I reach for something heavy cutting like FG400 and finish with SF4000 or 3500.
The finish is near perfect with this combo.

My personal favorites on the sealants and wax sides are:
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (Terrible durability)
Menzerna Powerlock

Will be trying Mitchell and King Car Wax and Angelwax in the near future

Great thread here. Thanks for sharing.

My C6 is black and while I love the colour, keeping it clean is a PITA. It seems to be an absolute dust magnet and I find the paint very soft. Was thinking about doing a Ceramic Coating. Any thoughts? Can you get good results from home kits?

Also, the front bumper and lower edge of the wheel wells seem to be fading - is this paint wear from road sand and dirt?

Rick

Before moving to a a ceramic coating your paint will require a full correction and conditioning prior to application.
If you want a home kit a lot of people go with CarPro's Cquartz UK.
This is only a one year kit. The coatings that I apply are anywhere from 2 year to 5 year coating applications.

Personally, for looks I like waxes and sealants
For durability, coatings are the way to go.

Reactions: YFCvii
I wonder what he's doing now? Maybe a beer and a lawn chair? Explaining to his neighbors,"no,it's not my new Corvette!" Goes without saying. That's looks fantastic !! Great job.

Reactions: Brent08
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.