Yes.
On top of that I had to raise my ceiling, redo my garage door tracks, install a new drive motor, and bring an electrician in to install a new plug and lighting.
Now I'm obliged to own a sports car so I can justify the storage space.
It's a burden I will carry.
Yes and from the pics .... it came out great

But isnt that always the case ... at least in my experience ... ... you set your sights on one thing and it breeds many more jobs ...

In hindsight I should have gone the single post lift as I too was talking to The Autoloft and still thought it was too expensive.

I'm happy with mine...never had an issue with the C8

1000027186.jpg

In hindsight I should have gone the single post lift as I too was talking to The Autoloft and still thought it was too expensive.

I'm happy with mine...never had an issue with the C8

View attachment 119647
A little tight but in my set up but it works. Interesting to see how my Z06 will fit since it’s a bit wider?

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    840.6 KB · Views: 0
A little tight but in my set up but it works. Interesting to see how my Z06 will fit since it’s a bit wider?
Your tires may not be fully supported by the looks of your current setup. Z06 track width is 3.5 inches wider I think so you'll have approx. 2 inches of tire overhang if your lift is one that is around 76in. wide outside dimension of the ramps. I saw a pic somewhere where a innovative guy added some width by welding some "wings" to the ramps to fully support the tires.

Reactions: Sea Wolf Z06
Your tires may not be fully supported by the looks of your current setup. Z06 track width is 3.5 inches wider I think so you'll have approx. 2 inches of tire overhang if your lift is one that is around 76in. wide outside dimension of the ramps. I saw a pic somewhere where an innovative guy added some width by welding some "wings" to the ramps to fully support the tires.
Thanks for the info! I’ll see once it arrives but if not, I can always park it underneath my Shelby. 😊👍

Or maybe just spend the dough and get a single post lift!
Three things for me. I didn't want to dream about the anchors pulling free and dumping my Vette. I like being able to move my lift around anytime I want (my shop is 60 feet wide and my Vette bay is 20 feet wide), and I like not having to crawl around on the floor positioning the pads on the lift points. Money wasn't an object. I wanted the 4 post.

Three things for me. I didn't want to dream about the anchors pulling free and dumping my Vette. I like being able to move my lift around anytime I want (my shop is 60 feet wide and my Vette bay is 20 feet wide), and I like not having to crawl around on the floor positioning the pads on the lift points. Money wasn't an object. I wanted the 4 post.
Me too, but there are single post lifts that are movable. I either didn't know about them or they didn't exist 20 years ago. Not sure I'd go for them anyway. A 4 post is absolutely the most stable.

Me too, but there are single post lifts that are movable. I either didn't know about them or they didn't exist 20 years ago. Not sure I'd go for them anyway. A 4 post is absolutely the most stable.
Suggesting that a 4 post is "absolutely the most stable" is quite a reach.
I'll trust a well Engineered single post over a shoddy 4 post system every day.
Cantilevered designs are used successfully everywhere you look, from pallet trucks to bridge decks.

Reactions: DAL
Suggesting that a 4 post is "absolutely the most stable" is quite a reach.
I'll trust a well Engineered single post over a shoddy 4 post system every day.
Cantilevered designs are used successfully everywhere you look, from pallet trucks to bridge decks.
OK, You can have your opinion. LOL. Chairs have 4 legs. Tables have 4 legs . Reach? ReallY?

OK, You can have your opinion. LOL. Chairs have 4 legs. Tables have 4 legs . Reach? ReallY?
My opinion (based on science) is that the stability of the lift is derived at by the design, manufacture, and installation, and not by the number of legs used.
Is it more expensive to construct a single post lift than a four post lift? - Yes, as the individual components must be stronger to transfer the loads (moment).
Is a four post lift absolutely the most stable? Nope.
Is a single post lift worth the additional money? - That's entirely up to the individual and their requirements.

My opinion (based on science) is that the stability of the lift is derived at by the design, manufacture, and installation, and not by the number of legs used.
Is it more expensive to construct a single post lift than a four post lift? - Yes, as the individual components must be stronger to transfer the loads (moment).
Is a four post lift absolutely the most stable? Nope.
Is a single post lift worth the additional money? - That's entirely up to the individual and their requirements.
Give me a break! LOL! Science? C'mon man!
4 feet is far more stable than one. A 4 post hoist can easily be made far more stable than a one post hoist. FACT!

Give me a break! LOL! Science? C'mon man!
4 feet is far more stable than one. A 4 post hoist can easily be made far more stable than a one post hoist. FACT!
Yes, science (Engineering to be more specific).
There is a whole myriad of factors to be considered in the design of any lift.
While the loading paramaters (vertical, lateral, bending) vary greatly between the designs, the ultimate stability remains as a constant, based on the quality of the manufacture and installation.
By examples:
A four post lift poorly braced will be far more susceptible to a lateral failure than its counter-part.​
A four post lift incorrectly installed (not sharing the loads amongst all four posts), will be far more susceptible to column crippling than its counter-part.​
That said, a single post lift, poorly designed, manufactured, or installed, is also a recipe for disaster.
I stand by my 'opinion' that the stability of the system has nothing to do with the quantity of its legs.
If you are buying a lift (of any configuration), do so with a reputable manufacturer and have it properly installed.
If the fear of how the lift 'looks' is to be your guide, you'd better stay indoors because this design is everwhere.

Attachments

• canyon cantilever.jpg
    canyon cantilever.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • deck cantilever.jpg
    deck cantilever.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Vettenut

Users who are viewing this thread