Yes, science (Engineering to be more specific).
There is a whole myriad of factors to be considered in the design of any lift.
While the loading paramaters (vertical, lateral, bending) vary greatly between the designs, the ultimate stability remains as a constant, based on the quality of the manufacture and installation.
By examples:
A four post lift poorly braced will be far more susceptible to a lateral failure than its counter-part.​
A four post lift incorrectly installed (not sharing the loads amongst all four posts), will be far more susceptible to column crippling than its counter-part.​
That said, a single post lift, poorly designed, manufactured, or installed, is also a recipe for disaster.
I stand by my 'opinion' that the stability of the system has nothing to do with the quantity of its legs.
If you are buying a lift (of any configuration), do so with a reputable manufacturer and have it properly installed.
If the fear of how the lift 'looks' is to be your guide, you'd better stay indoors because this design is everwhere.
As my wife would say. "Whatever!" ;)

My BendPack 4 post has 90in of space... no issue with driving the Vette on. If you are concerned with backing out, reverse the car with mirrors out until you are aprx 4in away from the hoist posts. Fold the mirrors in again, reverse again until u are past the posts, let the mirrors out and complete the "dismount'. I note that there was a bit of back and forth in prior posts regarding stability of a 4post lift vs a single post lift. While my instinct sides with the 4 post, I would also trust that the proper engineering has also gone into the single post design. A benefit that my Bendpack 4 post lift has, is that I can easily (2mins) attach 'casters to it, and with no trouble at all, I can move it outside onto my driveway and work on a car in the sunlight if I chose to do so then roll it back in. (Obviously with no car on the lift while lift being moved!)

Last edited:
If only it had of had more posts....lol....

1707073229745.png

If only it had of had more posts....lol....

View attachment 119768

It looks like they had a bit of a hoisting malfunction during construction.
Remember what I said about qualified installers? - does this bunch look qualified?
Here's a parking garage with lots of posts (well, it had lots).
Remember what I said about a crappy design? - nothing is immune.

POSTS.jpeg

Remember what I said about qualified installers? - does this bunch look qualified?

View attachment 119770
Poor concrete! ;)

My BendPack 4 post has 90in of space... no issue with driving the Vette on. If you are concerned with backing out, reverse the car with mirrors out until you are aprx 4in away from the hoist posts. Fold the mirrors in again, reverse again until u are past the posts, let the mirrors out and complete the "dismount'. I note that there was a bit of back and forth in prior posts regarding stability of a 4post lift vs a single post lift. While my instinct sides with the 4 post, I would also trust that the proper engineering has also gone into the single post design. A benefit that my Bendpack 4 post lift has, is that I can easily (2mins) attach 'casters to it, and with no trouble at all, I can move it outside onto my driveway and work on a car in the sunlight if I chose to do so then roll it back in. (Obviously with no car on the lift while lift being moved!)
I must be missing something having followed this post for a while. If you can drive forward in a straight line you should be able to reverse along that same line. Or so it would seem. Reminds me of a friend of my parents years ago who, in her mid seventies was required to do a drivers retest. The examiner asked her to find a spot to park along the street, meaning parallel park . She kept going around and around the block and the examiner asked her what she was doing as she had already passed a number of opportunities. She replied that she always looked for three open spots in a row. He suggested a bus pass.

It's a distinct possibility.
The garage is a pre-fabricated structure (built primarily off site) and slapped together like lego blocks.
Usually, the concrete is of better quality as it's placed under ideal conditions, but, a little less cement content can save you a bunch.
The most dangerous time for a failure on these is actually while they are being erected.
OR
The crane operator just spent the last 14 hours changing the oil and detailing his Corvette.
Being a bit on the tired side, and probably a bit hung-over, he simply clipped a column with a double-tee deck panel.
Like a house of cards it all came down.
It's feasible, No?

• Haha
Reactions: Murray20c8
I must be missing something having followed this post for a while. If you can drive forward in a straight line you should be able to reverse along that same line. Or so it would seem. Reminds me of a friend of my parents years ago who, in her mid seventies was required to do a drivers retest. The examiner asked her to find a spot to park along the street, meaning parallel park . She kept going around and around the block and the examiner asked her what she was doing as she had already passed a number of opportunities. She replied that she always looked for three open spots in a row. He suggested a bus pass.
When you are driving in you use your driver side mirror as the guide. It's not that easy to drive in in the dead middle until you get your mirrors close to the posts. Another thing is the garage / barn door. It is usually some distance from the posts. Mine is about a foot away from the posts and it is not perfectly aligned with the posts for reasons only my barn knows. ;). So the car is never 100% aligned in the middle or straight on the hoist. Then there's the ramps. It takes some right foot to get it up the ramps and then when it hits the top it lurches forwards and you react as the mirrors are now close to the posts.
Now when backing out hours later or next day, the mirrors are about 6 feet from the rear posts. So you don't really know just how close you are to the posts until the mirrors get there. You don't know if you are backing out straight since you weren't parked perfectly straight. Then there are the ramps. When you hit the ramps your car lurches backwards down the ramps.
However, like someone suggested once you get the mirrors close to the posts and you are sure you can back out straight you can pull the mirrors in until they clear the posts and then you can unfold the mirrors. if you can, I can't until I'm out of the barn. It's still a little dicey for me because of the barn / host alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st Vette

View attachment 119770
Here is the story.

When you are driving in you use your driver side mirror as the guide. It's not that easy to drive in in the dead middle until you get your mirrors close to the posts. Another thing is the garage / barn door. It is usually some distance from the posts. Mine is about a foot away from the posts and it is not perfectly aligned with the posts for reasons only my barn knows. ;). So the car is never 100% aligned in the middle or straight on the hoist. Then there's the ramps. It takes some right foot to get it up the ramps and then when it hits the top it lurches forwards and you react as the mirrors are now close to the posts.
Now when backing out hours later or next day, the mirrors are about 6 feet from the rear posts. So you don't really know just how close you are to the posts until the mirrors get there. You don't know if you are backing out straight since you weren't parked perfectly straight. Then there are the ramps. When you hit the ramps your car lurches backwards down the ramps.
However, like someone suggested once you get the mirrors close to the posts and you are sure you can back out straight you can pull the mirrors in until they clear the posts and then you can unfold the mirrors. if you can, I can't until I'm out of the barn. It's still a little dicey for me because of the barn / host alignment.
Ah . Widen the barn door perhaps. I see your issue but if not impeded by an offset you would think straight in straight out.

Ah . Widen the barn door perhaps. I see your issue but if not impeded by an offset you would think straight in straight out.
Sounds simple, but I doubt it's ever that cut and dry. Question. When you drive into the garage is your car always perfectly straight and aligned with the walls?
Maybe it's my old garage and the driveway alignment, but the car is never perfectly straight even in the garage.

Sounds simple, but I doubt it's ever that cut and dry. Question. When you drive into the garage is your car always perfectly straight and aligned with the walls?
Maybe it's my old garage and the driveway alignment, but the car is never perfectly straight even in the garage.
Could be that four martini lunch.;) I never park in my garage as it is carpeted with a 10 foot snooker table in there . I am putting up a reinforced Shelter Logic unit for the c8 . Lots of room as the driveway is 115 feet long So it will go right in front of the garage. And I also would be overly cautious going into and out of a tight spot in a $100 k car . First world problems. We be lucky.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Could be that four martini lunch.;) I never park in my garage as it is carpeted with a 10 foot snooker table in there . I am putting up a reinforced Shelter Logic unit for the c8 . Lots of room as the driveway is 115 feet long So it will go right in front of the garage. And I also would be overly cautious going into and out of a tight spot in a $100 k car . First world problems. We be lucky.
My table is in the basement. Garages are for cars! lol! What is a reinforced tent like?
None of the tents I've had last for long. I've had Shelter Logic as well as others from C.T.. I end up just using tarps over the frame as tarps are cheaper then the replacement tents.

My table is in the basement. Garages are for cars! lol! What is a reinforced tent like?
None of the tents I've had last for long. I've had Shelter Logic as well as others from C.T.. I end up just using tarps over the frame as tarps are cheaper then the replacement tents.
I had my table in the basement of our last house but this one is one level only. Which I like, no stairs. I built a greenhouse using a Shelter Logic frame and reinforced it by running 3/4 inch steel conduit perpendicular to the main ribs and bolting them in place . Just flatten the ends of the pipe with a hammer on an anvil, drill and bolt. Huge difference in rigidity, easily carry and snow load we get. Shelter Logic do make a heavy duty uv resistant cover, costs more than the standard one so we will see how long it lasts before I have to go the tarp solution .

One thing I like with the C8 is the heads-up display. Driving forward I use it to aim myself and it’s very repeatable having that target to park as close as possible to walk in garage. Nose cameras are great to get proper depth.

Only thing I still struggle with is drive slowly in the garage and lip is enough to stop the DCT so gotta make sure to have enough momentum so don’t have to hit the gas that close to the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread