No, only what's in the pipeline....All Auto plants operate 'JIT' for quite sometime. Couple days worth of parts at the most in the pipeline, probably less....
I'd think 6 to 8 days worth. 2 or 3 in the building. Cars that are at 3400 should be able to be built. It all depends on whether they lock them out, which they might do.

I'd think 6 to 8 days worth. 2 or 3 in the building. Cars that are at 3400 should be able to be built. It all depends on whether they lock them out, which they might do.
that is not JIT.....Plants definitely don't have the space anymore for 3 days worth of parts! (do you realize how many parts that is from raw metal to interior plastic parts!!) The amount of parts in the pipeline is determined obviously by the length of the pipeline....St. Catherine's to BG would be considered fairly short, compared to a supplier in the southwest or Mexico, so I'm fairly confident there is nowhere near 8 days worth of parts assembled.

that is not JIT.....Plants definitely don't have the space anymore for 3 days worth of parts! (do you realize how many parts that is from raw metal to interior plastic parts!!) The amount of parts in the pipeline is determined obviously by the length of the pipeline....St. Catherine's to BG would be considered fairly short, compared to a supplier in the southwest or Mexico, so I'm fairly confident there is nowhere near 8 days worth of parts assembled.
They have at least 2 days.
And JIT is moving warehouses! The parts can be sitting in trailers all over the place. Cars don't go to 3400 unless they are confident they can be built and 3400 comes at 8 days or less.

Reactions: JOHNNY MAC
UNIFOR will strike against GM Canada if a deal is not reached tonight Oct 9 by 11:59PM. If this happens, it will shut down the St. Catharines plant that is making all the Corvette DCT transmissions which in turn will shut down Bowling Green Corvette plant.
Unifor Strike has started, and St. Catharines plant is now shut down.

My guess Bowling Green has 4 days worth of DCTs left

Unifor Strike has started, and St. Catharines plant is now shut down.

My guess Bowling Green has 4 days worth of DCTs left
About 2 days worth are somewhere on the assy line, perhaps 2 days worth in assorted crates, some in trailers either on their way or sitting in St. Catherines, though not sure they'd make it out.
I'd guess 4 to 6 days including those somewhere in the assembly process. So today's cars will be completed and likely Friday's run. Then they'll shut down BG.

Reactions: ScottyR
About 2 days worth are somewhere on the assy line, perhaps 2 days worth in assorted crates, some in trailers either on their way or sitting in St. Catherines, though not sure they'd make it out.
I'd guess 4 to 6 days including those somewhere in the assembly process. So today's cars will be completed and likely Friday's run. Then they'll shut down BG.

My guess is that they will continue to work until Friday and then send everyone home at the end of the day shift with a "dont call us, we will call you" message.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
My guess is that they will continue to work until Friday and then send everyone home at the end of the day shift with a "dont call us, we will call you" message.
There won't be any work to do when parts run out. That's when they'll get sent home.
Plus, there's no need to "send" anyone home at the end of a shift. They're going home regardless.

• Haha
Reactions: ScottyR
There won't be any work to do when parts run out. That's when they'll get sent home.
Plus, there's no need to "send" anyone home at the end of a shift. They're going home regardless.
Good guess! LOL

Reactions: AxeZ06
I sent a buddy of mine a text who is a Manager at Ford Dearborn Assy Plant (I know - not BG) and asked how long JIT is in the automotive world. He said that if a major component plant (essential to production of vehicle) shut down today, FMC Dearborn would be out of parts by Thursday. They wouldnt be putting any new cars on the line today.

I sent a buddy of mine a text who is a Manager at Ford Dearborn Assy Plant (I know - not BG) and asked how long JIT is in the automotive world. He said that if a major component plant (essential to production of vehicle) shut down today, FMC Dearborn would be out of parts by Thursday. They wouldnt be putting any new cars on the line today.
That doesn't make sense. If they had parts until Thursday that means the have parts to build until Thursday, so they could put cars on the line today.
Edit: Perhaps he meant the last cars finished would be on Thursday.

Reactions: DenisC8
I requested that from my dealer last week. His response was he never gets the VIN until the vehicle is ready to ship.
That's because he doesn't know how to get it.

The dealership can see the vin when one is assigned at status code 3400 and above.
"Tell him to do an order inquiry manually and there will be a vin incentive lookup link..... way, way, way, way to the right. "

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.