Featured Thread
iOS Image - 33155064.jpg
iOS Image - 1172490622.jpg
iOS Image - 3195963928.jpg
iOS Image - 353390905.jpg

Here are a few progress shots of what I’ve been up to the past couple days. That’s two coats of high build primer on all surfaces. I know it’s over kill to do that on the interior but I figured I got it gutted now why not.
Now the block sanding begins. Hopefully putting paint on this coming weekend if nothing goes sideways in the mean time. Wish me luck. I’m pretty nervous about painting. I’ve put so much time into body work.

I’ll be sanding down the whole car this week in the evenings and fixing any of the flaws in the base. Then blow off all the dust outside, there will be a lot. Lol. Prep the shop by spraying everything down with Water to hold down dust and debris. Then wipe the car down with kwik kleen for any oils I may have left behind when sanding, then tack cloth, then spray. That’s kinda my system.
If anyone has a suggestion on a better way? Let me know. Renting a booth Isn’t really an option in my area.
I think I should get a pretty good result. I know I’ll still have to wet sand the car after it’s fully cured and cut wax the whole thing also, but that’s what I signed up for when I decided to go this deep on DIY paint job. Thanks for all the support so far.

most people dont have the nads to do it.

ive got a car in the states im waiting for this 14 day thing to be done and then ill go get it. will be painting the car it’s factory colour as all the clear is burnt.

please keep posting pics and progress. more if you can!

Man - chasing this thread is interesting. My car is nowhere near as ratty as yours, but I have equal amounts of prior owner stupid to deal with. You're also doing a lot of the same stuff I plan to do with my '94's interior.

What seats did you use? I've been thinking about using Corbeau with the C4 bracket kit so I can at least keep the power sliders, but if I gotta go manual I'm cool with that. My car came with the fancy sport seats but really it isn't worth the trouble/cost to replace the leather (which is rough), repair the failed bladders (most of them), replace the foam, and fix the seized/dead motors.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
They were a cheap set I found on kijiji. No idea what brand they are, sorry. They are new but used if that makes sense. The biggest thing you have to worry about is the total width of the base. These vettes are pretty narrow. I’m not completely sure but I assume all c4’s are the same. Aftermarket seats are nice but don’t expect to just drop them in. I’ve definitely enjoyed working on mine but I’m ready to just drive it for a while.
Good luck with rebuilding your Vette. It’s nice to see another C4 corvette getting a fresh start.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
iOS Image - 1109997636.jpg
iOS Image - 1416566181.jpg

Snapped a couple pictures of old Stanky. Paint went on ok I guess. Definitely not a professional job but a couple hours of wet sanding and buffing and it’ll be alright for a driver. Not gonna win any car shows but that’s not what I want anyways.
It’s definitely black no question there. Might try running it down the Medicine Hat drags this coming Friday night. If I get it back together by then. I’m gonna push pretty hard tho. I can’t wait to drive it again. It’s been a minute

iOS Image - 1457421432.jpg
iOS Image - 332873204.jpg
iOS Image - 1002122179.jpg
iOS Image - 2180386055.jpg

So I got it all back together and I think it looks pretty good.
It’s an hour one way to the track in Medicine Hat so I figured I’d just drive it there. Made it no problem, got a bit hot, that’s to be expected when it’s 30 degrees.
I also got a chance to settle the debate whether my wife’s camaro was faster than the Vette. It’s not. Lol
It was a great night until the transmission gave up. I was left with only second gear to get home. Then second gear went out about half way home.
That’s the price you pay when you push these cars to their breaking point.
I think it’s most likely a bent shift fork. I was trying to go into 3rd gear really hard.
I’ll post more when I get a chance to pull the trans out.

I did change both before I started driving the car way back when I first serviced it . I probably only drove it a total of 100kms before yesterday. I’m pretty disappointed the trans is probably garbage now. Might look for a better option if I can’t find a cheap used one. T56 or the like is what I’m thinking. But for now it’s back home and will be parked for a bit.

Reactions: AlbertaZ06
I did change both before I started driving the car way back when I first serviced it . I probably only drove it a total of 100kms before yesterday. I’m pretty disappointed the trans is probably garbage now. Might look for a better option if I can’t find a cheap used one. T56 or the like is what I’m thinking. But for now it’s back home and will be parked for a bit.
The Doug Nash 4+3 wasn’t known for its reliability and racing. There kits available to swap to TKO & T56, but can be pricey! Hopefully it’s something simple, and you can get back on the road soon

I’ve actually been looking at the Aisin AR5 trans also. Apparently they are cheap and can handle pretty decent amount of power. I know it’s only a 5 speed but I’d be ok with that. It’s a fraction of what a 6 speed would be. They also make adapters that bolt to 4L60 bell housings and mate up to LS engines. Worth looking into for future plans.
So far I found a guy in Calgary that probably has what I’ll need to repair the Doug Nash. I’ll just run it if I can fix it.
Save up and start planning for LS power.
I’ll have a gently used Tuneport L98 for sale. For those interested 😬

I’ve actually been looking at the Aisin AR5 trans also. Apparently they are cheap and can handle pretty decent amount of power. I know it’s only a 5 speed but I’d be ok with that. It’s a fraction of what a 6 speed would be. They also make adapters that bolt to 4L60 bell housings and mate up to LS engines. Worth looking into for future plans.
So far I found a guy in Calgary that probably has what I’ll need to repair the Doug Nash. I’ll just run it if I can fix it.
Save up and start planning for LS power.
I’ll have a gently used Tuneport L98 for sale. For those interested 😬
I love my TKO 600 5 speed, but pushing the limits of it as well, thinking as soon as I have to do a clutch or break the transmission, I will be going to a automatic so I can go faster in the 1/4 mile

Reactions: Stanky86
Little update on the transmission situation.
I got the car jacked up and crawled under to assess the damages. Turns out the one shift rod cotter pin fell off and the rod fell off the transmission. Put the rod back on and it’s fixed. I don’t think I’ll ever get that lucky again. Probably the easiest thing I’ve ever had to fix. So it’s back on the road. I’m pretty stoked I don’t have to put money towards that.

Question for you guys.
I’ve been mulling over the idea of bypassing the coolant line going to the throttle body. I’ve heard that it may lower the intake temperature and produce a bit more power, and maybe lower overall engine temp. I know the gains would be low.
I’ll never drive the car in the winter or even on cold days where you would want warmer intake temps. It’s just a thought. I’m curious what you guys think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread