Featured Thread
Thanks tour.
I was definitely thinking of that side of it also. I had that issue with the camaro I painted years ago. I tried to hide it but “I” could always see it.
Stupid parking lot scratch. Don’t you just love when they have to park right beside you? When you intentionally park far away from the door🙄
I’m gonna go with gloss black. Sorry to all the guys that are on the Satin fence. I think resale would be better if I ever decide to sell.
I also love the look of a Liquid Black paint job. I just hope I don’t regret it when I’m buffing and cleaning it every day. Lol.

Thanks tour.
I was definitely thinking of that side of it also. I had that issue with the camaro I painted years ago. I tried to hide it but “I” could always see it.
Stupid parking lot scratch. Don’t you just love when they have to park right beside you? When you intentionally park far away from the door🙄
I’m gonna go with gloss black. Sorry to all the guys that are on the Satin fence. I think resale would be better if I ever decide to sell.
I also love the look of a Liquid Black paint job. I just hope I don’t regret it when I’m buffing and cleaning it every day. Lol.

You can always wrap it later if you change your mind.... :Cheers2:

You can always wrap it later if you change your mind.... :Cheers2:
Ugh. Another pet peeve of mine.

I get it in a commercial setting where you want advertizing, but it always looks “cheap” to me on a private vehicle. When I say “cheap”, I mean the look, not the process to have it done.

I’m not saying it can’t look nice, but whenever I get up close to a wrapped car, it just so obvious to my eye that it looks.....”junky”.

I guess I’m just a traditional “paint or nothing” guy...

Thanks tour.

Cool, good choice IMHO.

You have probably already seen how my black 88 came out after I went at it for a week or two. Spider webbed, scratched and chipped. Now, guys who see it think its been recently repainted and comment about it’s “wet” look:

39F6CE52-A781-44FA-9CAB-252AC6BE7915.jpeg

14E57738-C5FF-49BB-A507-940A048083F7.jpeg

The car has had one respray in its past (discovered after buying it the drivers door was replaced) but that paint is at least 15-20 years old.

But I also have previous experience cutting paint with a rotary buffer and you’re right that its a major biotch to keep it that way.

But the reward for all that hard work is a car that turns heads on the street and draws people from across the parking lot to check it out....

Last edited:
The best thing about it is that you do not have to deal with rusty floors or any body work. The only place I have noticed on my 91 is the top of the fuel tank (visible when the licence plate is removed) showed a bit of rust bleed. I just hose it with rust check when I put on my new plate stickers.

Good luck with it.

iOS Image - 8601967.jpg
iOS Image - 2688936523.jpg
iOS Image - 2231009155.jpg

Made some pretty good progress the last couple days. I’m unfortunately starting to run out of supplies. The back part of the car will have to wait till the stores start to open up again. I’d buy stuff on line but there are certain things I like to see before I buy them. The black interior is sooooooooo much better than the hideous tan that was in there. I’m gonna move on to the exterior now. I’ll post some exterior pictures of the car so you guys can see what I’m dealing with and maybe give me some pointers on body work. I haven’t messed with fibreglass a lot.

iOS Image - 1216565553.jpg

I was just starting to pick away at some of the body work and sanding. But still driving it in the mean time. And wouldn’t you know, the power steering pump decides it’s had enough. So out it comes. Figures. 😒.
While I got it out I decided I’d pull the a/c, alternator,and tensioner out and clean up a bunch of the grease and grime from years of neglect. It’s pretty satisfying to blast all that crap off the front of the engine, frame, steering components, and brackets. Everything is so much nicer to work on when it’s clean.

It was the main seal on the front of the pump. But it looks like the hoses may have been leaking in the past. Now that it’s clean I’ll be able to see any sweating, seeping or leaking. New Pump should show up today. I’ll probably get it in this evening.
Not sure if this is what you may want to do, but have you considered going electric?

you can buy a toyota electric ps pump, buy a proportional controller for 50 bucks and you’re up and running.

the electric ps pump is good for around 5-10 hp at the crank. The electric motor only draws around 5-1 hp through the alternator.

its a bit of a custom job though. Someone on the usa corvette forum has already done at least one.

you’d at least need a shorter belt and I can’t say if the vette hoses will hook up to the toyota ports.

nice thing about this way is your steering system is essentially unchanged. The pump is just driven by an elec motor instead of the engine. If tou loose your pump, your rack still works, albeit in a “non-power” mode.

Its a fairly big job with a bit of figuin’ and fabricatin’, but I’m going that route as soon as I find an MR2 pump at a reasonable price. Already have the proportional controller. Ordered it out of the states...

Thanks tour I was actually pondering that idea when I was putting it all back together last night. Rock auto has pretty good prices so I just bought a reman and I get to keep the core.
Eventually I might want to put an electric water pump on as well, that’s probably the point I look into e-steering. Then the crank only has to turn an alternator. The engine bay will look pretty sparse with the lack of a serpentine system.

Thanks tour I was actually pondering that idea when I was putting it all back together last night. Rock auto has pretty good prices so I just bought a reman and I get to keep the core.
Eventually I might want to put an electric water pump on as well, that’s probably the point I look into e-steering. Then the crank only has to turn an alternator. The engine bay will look pretty sparse with the lack of a serpentine system.
Oh, I've never been a fan of electric water pumps on anything except a dedicated track car. I've seen too many quit on the road. Not on mine, on others cars. I prefer to know that if the engine is running, so is the water pump....YMMV.

The
iOS Image - 2810505096.jpg
iOS Image - 2091002261.jpg
iOS Image - 355587795.jpg
iOS Image - 235608650.jpg

Hopefully with NO other hold ups I plan to start preparing Stanky for primer this week. This is pretty much what it looks like right now. Side panels are removed because I already started prepping them. The car looks far worse in person than in these pictures.
I’ll do my best to take some progress shots as I go but I’m not making any promises.

Well it’s been a really slow week of progress. My daughters car has been acting up lately with a low oil pressure light. I absolutely hate working on Mini Cooper S’s. what a PITA. Can’t get your hands in anywhere and the over engineered components are ridiculous. I can’t wait for that thing to go down the road.
Sorry for the rant it’s been an aggravating week.
Any way back to the real reason I’m posting. Anybody know of used Vette parts in Southern Alberta? I’m looking for a headlight bezel for the passenger side of my car. I feel stupid about passing up on one a few months ago in Edmonton. I don’t really want to bite the bullet and go the eBay route. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I’ve been pretty quiet about Stanky over the last month or so.
Life gets busy and other things take priority. The last thing I had time for was working on my car.
My middle daughter got rid of her Mini Cooper so hallelujah to that. That was a happy day to see that pile go down the road.
Then spring came and yard work begins. I was pulling trees out and getting ride of old garden boxes,Seeding grass. The parking area needed a bit of gravel so why not 9 tons of it. Oh man.
The yard looked so much better then the house now. Why not put up some James Hardie siding. What have I gotten myself into?
Oh did I mention that I still work full time and was short handed because I had to let one of my guys go.
Sorry to rant just thought I’d give a few reasons why I haven’t posted in a while. But enough about my personal life I didn’t start a thread on a CorvetteForum to talk about that.
This last week I’ve finally got back to the Vette. Sanding and filling and sanding. Oh and disassembled almost every thing. I decided to snap some pics today. Hopefully putting on a coat or two of primer tomorrow

iOS Image - 1514445114.jpg
iOS Image - 4228977253.jpg
iOS Image - 1735017986.jpg
iOS Image - 3960876740.jpg

Great work! Are you painting it yourself? Been a while since I've seen you post and didn't read back through to see if thats what your doing.

IMO the satin black looks cheap, like it was applied out of a rattle can that was on sale at the dollarama.
Gloss black , silver or red stripes. But just my opinion.it will be interesting to see whatever you do.

Man who cares what anyone thinks about the colour that floats tour bot but I will say this, you are sure doing it properly. well done on the full dismantle.

look forwad to seeing your vision come to reality !

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread