Featured Thread
Jan 28, 2020
Vauxhall Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
1986 corvette base
Province
AB
Well here goes nothin. I’ve been asked to keep tabs on what I’m doing. I snapped a few pictures of the car interior before I tore into it. They definitely don’t do the actual filth justice. The smell was the worst part of it. A smoker lived in the car for months and when he left the mice moved in. I’m hoping to grab some more pics of the interior as I go forward.

Sorry about the bad quality and adding the same pic twice. I can’t figure out how to remove it.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 4108031175.png
    iOS Image - 4108031175.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 140
  • iOS Image - 243905620.png
    iOS Image - 243905620.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 142
  • iOS Image - 1025266110.png
    iOS Image - 1025266110.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 132
  • iOS Image - 327020351.png
    iOS Image - 327020351.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
I dilute dish soap and some vinegar in hot water for carpets scrubbing with a plastic bristle brush, then shop vac it all. It will look like new.

I forgot : I put the solution in a 750ml pop bottle and pierce a tiny hole in the cap. It makes a nice squirt bottle to do spots or squirt as much as you want.

Last edited:
I should have clarified things. I will not be reusing the interior carpet it was too far gone. I’m changing the car from red exterior/saddle interior to black on black. I’ll be posting as I go. The drive train we probably be changed eventually as well. Thanks for the interest thus far

Little update on Stanky. That name has kinda stuck. Not the greatest name, but I guess it could pull double meaning when the car is turbo LS swapped and is Stanky!!! But for now it’s because it terrible and still smells a bit with no interior. lol
Any ways focus update.
Last weekend changed all fluids.
Not the rear end tho wasn’t sure if I needed limited slip gear oil or not?? Maybe I could get an answer??
Sat for the week and the weather warmed up and the snow melted on the highway. Ok you can see where this is going already .... Yup Friday night got off work and figured why not get rid of some work frustration with a spirited drive in a frickin Vette.
Got it warmed up around town it’s running ok a bit hesitant, noisy cause of no carpet or insulation, but I’ve never really driven it, ever.Went back home and picked up my son he’s 13. Yeah you can imagine lol
Got out of town and out of the attorities ear shot, figured I got new tires at home why save these old ones. Your probably figure already epic moment coming right...
Sorry Nope☹️ Stabb the gas and the frickin plastic pedal hinge breaks. 😩
My son chuckles and is like something else to fix right Dad? I’m annoyed and trying to laugh it off. “Yup sometimes it just don’t work like you expect”
Limp the car home and get it into the garage.
So that is my first and only Vette story ever. Nice right? I’m sure they will get better.

Well I didn’t feel like hunting around for a new plastic throttle pedal hinge bracket, just so it could break again. Had some old scraps of steel and some time to kill. Came up with this little gem in a couple hours. Now, when I want to do some enthusiastic throttle engagement I don’t have to worry about breaking the stupid thing. Oh and I also had some incentive from my wife to get the Vette moving again. Her Maro sat outside last night and as you can see she isn’t super happy about it. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DDC41ECA-28D0-42FC-BFB7-3141B3EA178F.jpeg
    DDC41ECA-28D0-42FC-BFB7-3141B3EA178F.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 107
Little update on Stanky. That name has kinda stuck. Not the greatest name, but I guess it could pull double meaning when the car is turbo LS swapped and is Stanky!!! But for now it’s because it terrible and still smells a bit with no interior. lol
Any ways focus update.
Last weekend changed all fluids.
Not the rear end tho wasn’t sure if I needed limited slip gear oil or not?? Maybe I could get an answer??
Sat for the week and the weather warmed up and the snow melted on the highway. Ok you can see where this is going already .... Yup Friday night got off work and figured why not get rid of some work frustration with a spirited drive in a frickin Vette.
Got it warmed up around town it’s running ok a bit hesitant, noisy cause of no carpet or insulation, but I’ve never really driven it, ever.Went back home and picked up my son he’s 13. Yeah you can imagine lol
Got out of town and out of the attorities ear shot, figured I got new tires at home why save these old ones. Your probably figure already epic moment coming right...
Sorry Nope☹️ Stabb the gas and the frickin plastic pedal hinge breaks. 😩
My son chuckles and is like something else to fix right Dad? I’m annoyed and trying to laugh it off. “Yup sometimes it just don’t work like you expect”
Limp the car home and get it into the garage.
So that is my first and only Vette story ever. Nice right? I’m sure they will get better.

AC Delco 75W90 with AC Delco limited slip additive. That’s what I run

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
iOS Image - 3464742599.jpg
iOS Image - 3922865475.jpg
iOS Image - 1305491688.jpg
iOS Image - 1886694369.jpg

I’m sure you’ve all seen the interior of a stripped c4 but Here are a couple pics of what I’ve been up to. I think I finally got the smell removed. Now I start rebuilding of all the plastic that was damaged by previous owners. I don’t think there was a single panel that hadn’t been removed at one point in the life of this poor car. Lots of wiring that has been cut, sliced, taped and twisted together. Not a single proper solder and shrink tubed anywhere. Actually not even a single butt connector anywhere. Amazing this car didn’t burn to the ground. I think the only thing that kept it going is the lack of grounding surfaces on a fibreglass car, oh a dumb luck. Emphasis on DUMB.

Thanks for keeping up.

Reactions: hemicat
to get the knob off, put black tape over two flatheads, gently pry up on the shift pattern button. count how many full turns it took to unscrew the long T shaped screw.

the wedge takes the most prying. if your shift knob is in decent shape, protect the leather as you pry out the wedge.

i used saddle leather restoration oil on my very nasty crusty crunchy shift boot and it restored like new. i soaked the BACK side of the leather as well as the front.

Reactions: Stanky86
Interiors always look awful when the pretty stuff is removed and will look better once the initial layer of time dust is cleaned. my 2005 wasn't anywhere near as bad but I found it satisfying to clean up the connections and then anchor wiring looms properly even though others never see them. Following along and enjoying the photos, keep up the good work.

This week has been slow progress. Started cleaning up the interior wiring and got a bit carried away. There was the weirdest things that had been butchered together under the dash.
I bet this car could tell some crazy stories.

Question for you guys.
Have any of you ever removed a DUI blow box from any of the cars you’ve purchased over the years?
You can see in the last picture, this is what was hanging under the dash when I bought the car.
I didn’t know what it was at first , turns out it’s the controller for the blow box.
Any way I got it all trimmed off and everything back soldered shrink tubes and back the way it should be. Then tidied up with zip ties.
I also cleaned up the interior one more time had to change the water in my cleaning bucket a dozen times. Finally the car doesn’t smell any more.
Plans now are to change all the dash lights to led while I got the gauge cluster and info center removed.
Any thoughts on doing this mod? I can’t see a down side. Besides waiting for bulbs from Amazon.
Well that’s about it for now , I’ll try and keep posting when I get the opportunity.
Cheers thanks again for the interest
iOS Image - 1221397504.jpg
iOS Image - 3391184322.jpg
iOS Image - 3163862462.jpg
iOS Image - 3557519326.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread