Featured Thread
the knee panel under the steering wheel comes off easy. the one over on the passenger side i found tougher.

when you go to install the new carpet panels on the plastic parts such as the tranny tube shrouds and door panels and knee bolsters...use 3m spray 90. not 70. not headliner spray. ONLY spray 90.

(cheapest source for the carpets btw is acc on ebay)

Love watching your progress. Hopefully @turbozig can give some insight. On older cars the cold solder connections some have a tendency to crack. Search for information on re-soldering connections. The interior looks so much better once 20+ years of use is cleaned out. Are you going to sound deaden the interior before replacing carpet? Since you have everything out it would be a great time to do it. Did my 2005 and it made a difference.

I’ve never been a big fan of the carpet on the bottom of the dash, knee bump area. I’m gonna recover it with a marine vinyl material instead. I think it will blend better and be less carpet. I feel that the carpeting is kinda overwhelming. I’ll probably do the bottoms of the doors the same way.
As far as underlay/sound deadening material I’m using household foam interior carpet underlay, it’s glued down so I’ll see how it works. The pictures is just a quick mock up so you can see how it’s gonna go down.
iOS Image - 434388150.jpg

View attachment 36488
Weather was so nice and I figured I’d give Ol’Stanky another chance to destroy some tires. Well as you can see He didn’t disappoint me with his performance. I couldn’t get the vid to load

Hey Stanky. Vid posting is coming to the CCF near you soon...lol...but for now, you still have to use Youtube or Vimeo or one of the like upload sites and then just share the link with us here. Good pic btw... :thumbs:

iOS Image - 3517040954.jpg
iOS Image - 1971547413.jpg

Haven’t been doing anything on Stanky for a while. I’ve actually been out of the country. So yeah I’m getting lots of questions about how I’ve been feeling. No covid-19 so far. Well enough about that.
Picked up a couple new to me seats to put in. A bit of a tight fit but they are gonna work. I actually retained the power function on the drivers side, which is pretty sweet. Passenger seat will use the factory Vette mounts as well, just have to to some mods to the seat frame to get it to work. Lots of trial and fitting.
I thought I’d just give y’all a bit of a heads up on the progress.

Question for you guys. Do I paint the exterior of the car high gloss black,or as my son suggested satin black. I’m still on the fence I think satin black looks dark and menacing . But when I see a Liquid Black Vette I can’t help but want to go that way. I definitely won’t go with a metallic or pearl black. I’m not a big fan.Satin will definitely be easier to do. What do you guys think??
iOS Image - 3067155519.jpg
this is a semi gloss camaro I did a years ago. I liked it, but want a bit of a change for Stanky. Any input would help I’m gonna pull the doors off to fix the hinges and I figured I might as well paint the jams and the inner doors while I got them removed. Oh one more thing the wheels are high gloss black 18” Whatever that’s worth to you. Thanks for the input in advance.

Personally I like the satin. I think the lines have more definition satin... And yes... The satin definitely has that unmistakable "look"...

1586145717255.png

I would go with the gloss black.
In my opinion (which is often wrong), satin looks like someone "cheaped out" on the prep and paint because it will better cover imperfections. I also think the satin look will turn out to be a bit of a fad. Glossy black has been around for a looooong time .
All that being said... I avoid owning black cars because of the difficulty keeping them clean, but I do enjoy looking at them when they are clean and shiny.

I think the satin is better that way than the matt black, but again...My opinion only. Another bonus would the time saver from the effort of buffing streaks on a gloss black every time you washed... lol... So I'm lazy....

Reactions: vintageracer
the name stanky certainly lends itself to matte black. also given the whole current scenario the mad max type theme fits.

if it were mine i’d.....ahhh doesn’t matter what id do! look fwd to seeing more pics!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
well stanky matte black, to skunk, to matte white grandsport stripe with hash marks on a matte black paint job would look pretty sweet.

thats where i went with it in my head.

there is a guy doing a matte blue zr1 right now looks great too.

keep the pics of updates coming!

Well I own an “All black Dodge Ram “ some of you may get that reference. My wife has an all black fifth gen camaro. Both in high gloss so I’m no stranger to washing them 🙄. I’m thinking gloss because it’s timeless. I think I might do fender stripes. Oh man I hate decisions like this. Thanks for the input thus far.

Something else to consider:

Scratch a satin paint job and you're stuck with it.

scratch a 2 stage clear and they can take it out with a good round of rotary buffing.

You can “sort of” fix a satin scratch, but it will never go away to where you won’t see it.

But with a clear coat, it will buff right out like it was never there. You can even fill a scratch that goes through a clear coat (as long as it doesn’t hit the base metal or primer) and buff it back to where its like it never happened.

The key to making minor paint repairs is being able to use a rotary buffer on it. Can’t use a buffer on “satin” paint or you end up with a “gloss” spot...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread