Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
I bought my wife a nice new Apple I-mac just about a year ago. I just got it back with a new hard drive for the second time. The first hard drive lasted about four months. What does anyone know about these Solid State Drives that are out there. They seem to be awfully expensive yet but there wouldn't be all the moving parts to break down. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple to say the least. Sure, they did the warranty work but now we have an expensive machine that we don't trust for any kind of important work. I learned long ago to back up all the important stuff on a couple of external drives so at least we didn't lose anything of value. Still, it is a pain that we don't need. Any ideas???

This is my website. I travel worldwide to consult and speak on SSDs.

http://www.thessdreview.com/

Is the question such that you dont trust SSDs in comparison to HDDs? SSDs are easily tenfold less likely t break down than a HDD. Having said that, it is always paramount to backup any important info.

I have personally tested just about every SSD released. I have well over 300 sitting in my office...go ahead...hit me with any questions. Here is a good start for you...written by yours truly...

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/

I bought my wife a nice new Apple I-mac just about a year ago. I just got it back with a new hard drive for the second time. The first hard drive lasted about four months. What does anyone know about these Solid State Drives that are out there. They seem to be awfully expensive yet but there wouldn't be all the moving parts to break down. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple to say the least. Sure, they did the warranty work but now we have an expensive machine that we don't trust for any kind of important work. I learned long ago to back up all the important stuff on a couple of external drives so at least we didn't lose anything of value. Still, it is a pain that we don't need. Any ideas???

SSDs are the way to go unless you're looking to archive terabytes in which case they become cost prohibitive. They typically have a lower failure rate compared to consumer grade spinning ones although it's hard to extrapolate actual failures due to the way OEMs report failures. SSDs are for sure far more rugged, will survive minor drops and more extreme temperatures.

In terms of backup (as I tell everyone), you need to have a good 3 way strategy for really important things:
1. Local backup on HDD media (i.e. other drives, SSD or regular HDDs)
2. Archive on long term media (DVDs, Bluerays)
3. Off-site backup (cloud or another machine that isn't in your physical location)

It's overkill for most, but at least have one offsite and one onsite backup for your critical data.

If one does not opt for the raid software from third party or OWC (like raid5 = very good) you should know you can no longer structure a raid array in El Capitan...Apple with El Capitan in their infinite wisdom has really messed up disc utility so you must use (any) an older version of OSX to complete the raid setup as I did and all works spanky.
And if you really wish to push the storage limits Samsung now offers a 2TB ssd for some big cash..like $1000 per

I think you are scouting my sites...or have great taste in storage. Got this sitting here as well:

http://www.technologyx.com/featured...212-dual-bay-thunderbolt-storage-dock-review/

Reviewed it on my other site... I think actually the wife has it up on Kijiji for $75...

I was going to say previously though that, if that is the 2nd SSD replacement in that system,. you need to investigate the reason why. SSDs are pretty much bulletproof. I know because most companies in the business have asked us to test and try and brick their SSDs. It is near impossible. In fact, of the hundreds that I have reviewed and all the systems in which they run now (including 2 iMacs 29", 2 MBA's and 2 IPADs...only 3 have ever bricked since 2007. This is a very low avg compoared to hard drives.

Last edited:
Guess I've done my homework
p1699097923-5.jpg
p1660061438-5.jpg

I am on solide state 2010 if I remember right whit 6 pc + 1 server and since, I only had to replace one. In 2010 they did cost a lot of monney compare to a regular hard drive but almost problem free. In the shop, whit the dust and temperature variation, hard drive didn't last more then 18 to 24 months + all the problems when they fail. So far, great investment.

Always here if you guys any have questions or need anything relating to SSDs... Cant go wrong with free advice considering we travel worldwide to provide same at a much different premium.

In January I have 6 of attending the Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas for meetings while I go to Spring Mountain...Wahoo! They offered gratis attendance and an A8 Z06 for use for article exchange...

RAID.... you need to look at bigger and better eheheh. Unfortunately, selling most things is not an options...typically restricting SSDs. You might appreciate this shot though... This is my PCIe corner..
SSDs.JPG

I waiting to get a new Macpro...waiting for someone to offer a 5K or 8K 32" monitor for it..I have a macpro now also but use my new iMAC5K mostly becuase of the fantastic screen

Our computer is just for home use. My wife has been into genealogy for many years with nearly 31,000 people on her computer. Her first computer had the black screen with the green letters. A long time. We just want something reliable and, obviously, Apple has not filled the bill either being far less reliable than our cheap old Acer and Toshiba laptops. We do back her information up on two other external hard drives. Just for reliability sake, I would go to an SSD unit if their reliability record is worth the change. Made in China sort of tells me something.
Thanks for the info so far. It is appreciated.

Our machine, nearly from the start, would suddenly, completely freeze up and Dale would have to shut it off with the power button to get it restarted again. Lately, it was doing this perhaps 3+ times a day. They installed a second new hard drive, and over the past week, it seems to be ok. What would it generally cost to have one of these SSD units installed and set up. What size would be required for moderate use, generally just her genealogy work with lots of pictures and the programme itself.

How old is it ?..it's faily easy to do yourself..search on web..I've done a few..pull off glass screen (held on with magents)..remove a doz screws holding LCD in place..this is tricky but not bad with a magnetic screw driver..remove LCD (ribbon)..swap drive..re-assemble... Get a 1TB drive and copy your system to it before swap with carbon copy clone using one of these http://www.dx.com/p/sata-to-usb-2-0-adapter-cable-black-mcb836-40cm-cable-length-118813#.VltfNN-rRFw then it will boot like your old system with everything as was

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.