How old is it ?..it's faily easy to do yourself..search on web..I've done a few..pull off glass screen (held on with magents)..remove a doz screws holding LCD in place..this is tricky but not bad with a magnetic screw driver..remove LCD (ribbon)..swap drive..re-assemble... Get a 1TB drive and copy your system to it before swap with carbon copy clone using one of these http://www.dx.com/p/sata-to-usb-2-0-adapter-cable-black-mcb836-40cm-cable-length-118813#.VltfNN-rRFw then it will boot like your old system with everything as was
I bought the machine December 6 last year. I watched that video on the internet and the swap looked pretty straight forward. If the programming part looks after itself, I would be home free. The mechanical stuff is fairly easy for me. It is when the programming part acts up, then I am in trouble. Most of the terminology is totally foreign to me so it might as well be ancient Greek that you are talking. I didn`t even know what an ethernet cable was until the guy told me to look for the yellow one. Now, that is something I can understand. Thanks.

What I have is a 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive. Lots of info on the internet if you can dig deep enough in the right places. Might be doing an upgrade to an SSD unit some time if that will improve reliability.

Last edited:
The late 2013 model was updated with 2014 models in June. If you had purchased your system from Apple anytime after the end of June, they would have sold you the 2014 model. I cannot answer for your purchase situation as I am sure late 2013 models were still available through 3rd party sales like Amazon etc. I have a late 2013 with a SSD. This model is a bit of work to change from HDD to SSD.

Last edited:
Yes...most Staples have their products after the new stuff comes out. See it all the time in a local store; I believe they are about 8-10 months back...
Where does a person go to buy up to date inventory. The average person like me has no clue about most of this stuff and just hope that those selling are honest and up front. Most do not seem to be that.

Last edited:
What occurred with you is typical Apple. 3rd party sales by large quantities and need to sell all, whereas if you were to buy from Apple directly, your system is built to their newest model according to your build specs and then shipped. When I got this, I had to buy from Apple just to get the SSD.

Last edited:
I don't know how far you would get but, most definitely, I would be asking why they sold me last years system at the same price as the newer when it had been replaced 6 months before you purchased yours.

I have disliked hybrid drives since their first release as they provide much of a placebo effect and no identifiable performance gain that can be shown throw testing. For what you will pay for the hybrid, you can remain very closely priced with the SSD with just a little less capacity. If you are going to upgrade, I am actually going to be posting an article on a Kingston Kit for Christmas as it is the best solution available today people that aren't computer literate but want the upgrade.

I have disliked hybrid drives since their first release as they provide much of a placebo effect and no identifiable performance gain that can be shown throw testing. For what you will pay for the hybrid, you can remain very closely priced with the SSD with just a little less capacity. If you are going to upgrade, I am actually going to be posting an article on a Kingston Kit for Christmas as it is the best solution available today people that aren't computer literate but want the upgrade.
Scratch hybrids off.

I`ve always worked on the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid. In four years we lost three hard drives. One in A Sony Vaio and two in the Apple in less than a year. We got the Apple back about a month ago and it was sluggish and doing weird little things. The screen was supposed to shut down in 15 minutes on power saver. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn`t, staying on all night on one occasion when I was testing to see what would happen. Just weird little things. The one thing in common was the power bar and its surge protection. I got to reading a little about AC current and how you can have a clean sine wave or a ragged one with interference. Anyway, I bough a top of the line power bar and hooked up the other day. All the bad little gremlins seem to be gone gone. Is there something in the surge protection circuit that could cause interference and ``noise`` that would affect the computer. A shot in the dark from a rank computer amatuer but what to heck. Might just be coincidence. I always say that I work a lot better with wrenches in my hands but they do terrible things to computers.
Thanks again for helping an amateur. It does take patience on your part.

I`ve always worked on the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid. In four years we lost three hard drives. One in A Sony Vaio and two in the Apple in less than a year. We got the Apple back about a month ago and it was sluggish and doing weird little things. The screen was supposed to shut down in 15 minutes on power saver. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn`t, staying on all night on one occasion when I was testing to see what would happen. Just weird little things. The one thing in common was the power bar and its surge protection. I got to reading a little about AC current and how you can have a clean sine wave or a ragged one with interference. Anyway, I bough a top of the line power bar and hooked up the other day. All the bad little gremlins seem to be gone gone. Is there something in the surge protection circuit that could cause interference and ``noise`` that would affect the computer. A shot in the dark from a rank computer amatuer but what to heck. Might just be coincidence. I always say that I work a lot better with wrenches in my hands but they do terrible things to computers.
Thanks again for helping an amateur. It does take patience on your part.

Very very very doubtful Keith. All modern PSUs (power supplies) will work all day long on dirty power provided you don't have chronic under/over voltage conditions, sags, or massive harmonics. A power bar will never condition AC power, surge protectors should be classified with electric ebay superchargers and magical fuel economy pills. It's really junk science behind them. You have the most sophisticated surge protection inside your PC power supply and your house wiring.

Regarding glitches, power saving etc, that's just regular glitches :) Happens all the time in the PC and Apple world. Try Windows for a while and see how often it actually goes to sleep and wakes up properly without some device mysteriously disconnecting.

I like that Keith.... The KISS system..... Working on computers reminds me of my youth and high school biology.... I was great at dissecting frogs but never could figure out how to put all those parts back together.... What I find works best for computers is drawing little circles on the display screen and then using them for target practice... There is some satisfaction in that....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.